Thread: Sin and MBTI

MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram
    ;) sx
    Socionics
    ENFp

Default Sin and MBTI

Okay, really I just put that title up because it was the most attention catching thing I could think of that was vaguely related to what I want to ask about.

I've been listening to a lot of people (by a lot I mean...three, maybe four, lol) at my church talk about sin. I've heard what they're saying echoed before at nearly every church I've ever attended (I went to this one that was really more of just a social place, neither faith nor religious study nor social activism were really priorities for them, they didn't talk about sin). What I'm hearing is that self-focus is a sin, inaction is a sin (but so is being busy for business sake), self-hate is a sin, melancholy is a sin, being despairing is a sin. Day dreaming is a sin. Taking time for yourself is a sin. Trying to take care of yourself is a sin. Not using your talents is a sin.

I'm pretty sure that *being* and INFP is a sin. I'm pretty freaked out by my conclusion. Not that I'm having a crisis of faith, I'm not, but I feel like I'm stuck in some sort of black hole were the very essence of what I am is what I'm not supposed to be. Am I missing something here? Am I taking their statements to extremes when they shouldn't be taken that way? If they weren't supposed to be taken to their natural conclusion than why didn't they qualify them?
    For all I know I could be misinterpreting them. It doesn't stop my confusion.

They also seem to be authorities, they're older and smarter and leaders in the church and have attended Bible college. I'm just me. I'm well informed enough but maybe I missed something. Maybe. Maybe the most I can hope for is that God will wipe my personality clean and I'll be no one (they didn't say that, that's my natural conclusion).

I'd talk to these women about it but they'd tell me I'm sinning by being overly emotional (considering a topic of conversation at the last Bible study I'm *sure* they'd say that). And, since I already know what they'd say and feel guilty about it there's no need to ask them. So, any of you who are of the Faith here, I'd love an answer, because I can't see one.
    -Brio

"I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life; I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well."
    -Teddy Roosevelt

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

My answer is that you need to get the hell away from that psychotic church. Why such a strong response?

Maybe the most I can hope for is that God will wipe my personality clean and I'll be no one (they didn't say that, that's my natural conclusion).
    Any personality type could commit any number of sins. EVERYONE SINS. You're not even touching on all of the seven deadlies, nor all of the ten commandments. I'm worried for you.

Wave goodbye to that nuthouse.

Sniffles

Being an INFP is not a sin.

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

Wow. I'm a Christian and I attend church...but I've never heard people come right out and tell each other that they're sinning just because someone's being over emotional or they're day dreaming and such. I think that if someone is going to point those things out, they need to look at themselves and see what sins of the bible they're doing.

In the bible it does talk about some of those things being sin. I'm not sure of all of them, but from what I've studied of my bible, thats what I've read so far. BUT, we're all people and we all sin. You cannot point your finger at someone and tell them they're sinning and totally let them know they're horrible or whatever for it if you yourself sin. [by you i mean other people who point fingers].

(I'm gonna get into a bit of faith talk for a moment)

With that, it also plays into my faith that Jesus Christ died for our sins. We're all sinners. I'm a huge sinner. My goodness, if you knew the stuff I did you'd either shriek of shock or you'd nod your head in agreement. By all means, I'm no better than anybody else. The only thing that sets me apart [in my faith] is that I believe Jesus Christ is my savior and Lord. I believe He wipes away all sins if you just ask and believe.
    I don't think we should be freaking out and going "oh my gosh, thats a sin, oh no!", because its our nature to do so. We'll continue sinning until we die. I think the big picture is that someone can take away your sins and you'll be made new.

So for Christians who want to pick out every sin in the bible and condemn those who sin...they've missed the point of who Jesus is and his teachings. All in all, we're to love Him, love others, love ourselves.
    So don't you listen to those who are condemning. They haven't figured out what its all about. You are YOU. You were created an INFP, because we need you as an INFP.

I do hope that I was able to shed some light for you. I've dealt with the same issue.

EDIT: All in all, the bible shows us that anything put above God is a sin. So if these things aren't getting in your way of putting God first, then I personally wouldn't say its sin. (I'm talking about day dreaming, taking care of yourself, and the likes) If those things get in the way of acknowledging that God is first, thats the problem. But I can't say those things in themselves are sinful.
    Last edited by ayoitsStepho; 12-10-2009 at 11:48 PM. Reason: one more note
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

I know it's not quite the answer you were asking for, but I'm inclined to believe that churches are constructions of man and thus imperfect. I think they generally get the big picture right, and the details wrong. There are things that my church says are sins that I don't believe are wrong. And when my soul is in the balance, I have to side with what I believe, not what I'm told.

I wouldn't necessarily take it on faith (heh) that these people are interpreting correctly. I further believe that no God worth believing in would damn you for things that you cannot use your free will to reject. These are things that should bring you comfort even if you don't wish to take your church's teachings with a grain of salt.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ?

Question: Forget the church for a minute. Do you think that your self-focus keeps you from living up to your personal ideals? I guess what I'm asking is... is this concern really based on what you've heard in church?

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I know it's not quite the answer you were asking for, but I'm inclined to believe that churches are constructions of man and thus imperfect. I think they generally get the big picture right, and the details wrong. There are things that my church says are sins that I don't believe are wrong. And when my soul is in the balance, I have to side with what I believe, not what I'm told.

I wouldn't necessarily take it on faith (heh) that these people are interpreting correctly. I further believe that no God worth believing in would damn you for things that you cannot use your free will to reject. These are things that should bring you comfort even if you don't wish to take your church's teachings with a grain of salt.
    +1
    I agree completely.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by briochick View Post
    What I'm hearing is that self-focus is a sin, inaction is a sin (but so is being busy for business sake), self-hate is a sin, melancholy is a sin, being despairing is a sin. Day dreaming is a sin. Taking time for yourself is a sin. Trying to take care of yourself is a sin. Not using your talents is a sin.

I'm pretty sure that *being* and INFP is a sin.
    Those "authorities" are wrong. Excessive self-focus (at the expense of others or God) and some inaction are sinful. The rest on that list are not sinful. I've studied a large amount and those evaluations aren't really true. What is true is that anyone can twist words in the Bible to fit their ideologies, and ignore relevant information in doing so.

But you already disagree with them. It is obvious this doesn't sit well with you.

Christ, if melancholy, introspection, and leisure are sins in and of themselves then I'm going straight to hell. And I'll see a lot of people there with me.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Ok honestly im probably the farthest thing from christian you can be but I still "try" to respect others beliefs and what not. And all im hearing from you is that the people you attend church with are FANATICS. Nothing else, id say take what they say with a grain of salt and just cause they went to some "bible college" (cause we all know the only way to learn true enlightenment is through academics) they probably are saints. Their still human, and probably a little too wrapped up in their beliefs. Take a step back and really, just do what feels right. Soul search. Pray. Do what you got to do to feel that in your in the right place for your god. No man or women could ever know what "god" truly believes, they could be wrong just as easily as you are. Follow your heart.
    SDMF