User Tag List

First 5678 Last

Thread: Sin and MBTI

Sniffles

Well I can't take communion at Orthodox or Protestant churches either. Anyways you might appreciate this :

[youtube="WCP2T_Ndh6U"]Old school Lutheran hymn[/youtube]

MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram
    ;) sx
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Well I can't take communion at Orthodox or Protestant churches either.
    Wait...huh? Why can't you? Are you not a believer?

The_liquid_laser
    : thanks for the words of wisdom.
    -Brio

"I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life; I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well."
    -Teddy Roosevelt

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    In Christianity sin is more than simply altruistic or selfish behavior - it's behavior that seperates us from God, usually because we are not acting in love toward God or our fellow man. I suppose you could define that as altruism vs. selfishness (pride is said to be the blackest sin, interestingly, even over murder) but that's not technically it to Christians.
    Then it becomes an essential question - what is it about that behavior that makes it separative from God?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Thank you for the hymn, Peguy. It is quite lovely.

You see, though, what stops you from taking communion at a Protestant church is not the Protestant church itself but the Catholic church. That's the difference.

Sniffles

I'm Catholic, and I'm not allowed to take communion at such services. Orthodox don't allow it, and I believe many Protestant churches don't either.

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Thank you for the hymn, Peguy. It is quite lovely.

You see, though, what stops you from taking communion at a Protestant church is not the Protestant church itself but the Catholic church. That's the difference.
    Well the Orthodox are actually more strict than Catholics on the issue. From what I understand at the Lutheran church I go to, non-Lutherans can't receive communion. Plus it goes against my conscience to receive communion at a church which I'm not a member of.

MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram
    ;) sx
    Socionics
    ENFp

I'm Catholic, and I'm not allowed to take communion at such services. Orthodox don't allow it, and I believe many Protestant churches don't either.
    None of the Baptist or Christian or Bible or Presbyterian churches I've been too ever checked you out before you got to take communion. Instead they give a general invitation to all believers to take communion and discourage unbelievers from taking communion. I would assume that at least some Catholics actually love God and believe in the death and resurrection of Christ so would then qualify as able to take communion. Though at the Catholic masses I attended in Spain I didn't take communion because I knew they didn't want me to.

Apparently other denominations do it differently.
    -Brio

"I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life; I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well."
    -Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by briochick View Post
    None of the Baptist or Christian or Bible or Presbyterian churches I've been too ever checked you out before you got to take communion. Instead they give a general invitation to all believers to take communion and discourage unbelievers from taking communion. I would assume that at least some Catholics actually love God and believe in the death and resurrection of Christ so would then qualify as able to take communion. Though at the Catholic masses I attended in Spain I didn't take communion because I knew they didn't want me to.

Apparently other denominations do it differently.
    What makes Catholics different in this respect, and does not allow them to take Communion in other churches or non-Catholics to receive Communion, is that they believe in Transubstantiation.

CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: The Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist

Without the proper understanding and belief in this, partaking Communion is not possible.

I believe all other Christian denominations see it either as symbolic or possessing some other spiritual quality.

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Take Five, do you attend Latin masses?
    No, they're not really offered around where I live. But I do sometimes wish the Mass was still universally in Latin, because then I could be comfortable at Mass anywhere in the world.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    No, they're not really offered around where I live. But I do sometimes wish the Mass was still universally in Latin, because then I could be comfortable at Mass anywhere in the world.
    Well this brings up the big deal of Vatican II, Novus Ordo vs. Tridentine Mass... and the bringing back of traditional Catholics ( with things like the SSPX and FSSP), who almost look like a different religion compared to NO.

but I just wanted to add that Orthodoxy also believes in Transubstantiation... as I understand it.

But in regards to the OP, you can't inherently be a sin, and also all those things you listed are not inherently sinful... what makes them sinful are your intentions and your Will.

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
    Well this brings up the big deal of Vatican II, Novus Ordo vs. Tridentine Mass... and the bringing back of traditional Catholics ( with things like the SSPX and FSSP), who almost look like a different religion compared to NO.

but I just wanted to add that Orthodoxy also believes in Transubstantiation... as I understand it.

But in regards to the OP, you can't inherently be a sin, and also all those things you listed are not inherently sinful... what makes them sinful are your intentions and your Will.
    Not really familiar with FSSP, but SSPX is nuts. Borderline heretical, even by my traditional, orthodox, conservative standards. I think Latin Mass should be offered to congregations (and they often are), but not mandatory. For international purposes, the universal Mass was a good thing.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli