• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sin and MBTI

S

Sniffles

Well I can't take communion at Orthodox or Protestant churches either. Anyways you might appreciate this :):

[youtube="WCP2T_Ndh6U"]Old school Lutheran hymn[/youtube]

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well I can't take communion at Orthodox or Protestant churches either.

Wait...huh? :shock: Why can't you? Are you not a believer?

The_liquid_laser
: thanks for the words of wisdom. :hug:

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
In Christianity sin is more than simply altruistic or selfish behavior - it's behavior that seperates us from God, usually because we are not acting in love toward God or our fellow man. I suppose you could define that as altruism vs. selfishness (pride is said to be the blackest sin, interestingly, even over murder) but that's not technically it to Christians.

Then it becomes an essential question - what is it about that behavior that makes it separative from God?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Thank you for the hymn, Peguy. It is quite lovely.

You see, though, what stops you from taking communion at a Protestant church is not the Protestant church itself but the Catholic church. That's the difference.

S

Sniffles

I'm Catholic, and I'm not allowed to take communion at such services. Orthodox don't allow it, and I believe many Protestant churches don't either.

Thank you for the hymn, Peguy. It is quite lovely.

You see, though, what stops you from taking communion at a Protestant church is not the Protestant church itself but the Catholic church. That's the difference.
Well the Orthodox are actually more strict than Catholics on the issue. From what I understand at the Lutheran church I go to, non-Lutherans can't receive communion. Plus it goes against my conscience to receive communion at a church which I'm not a member of.

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm Catholic, and I'm not allowed to take communion at such services. Orthodox don't allow it, and I believe many Protestant churches don't either.

None of the Baptist or Christian or Bible or Presbyterian churches I've been too ever checked you out before you got to take communion. Instead they give a general invitation to all believers to take communion and discourage unbelievers from taking communion. I would assume that at least some Catholics actually love God and believe in the death and resurrection of Christ so would then qualify as able to take communion. Though at the Catholic masses I attended in Spain I didn't take communion because I knew they didn't want me to.

Apparently other denominations do it differently.

Nyx

None of the Baptist or Christian or Bible or Presbyterian churches I've been too ever checked you out before you got to take communion. Instead they give a general invitation to all believers to take communion and discourage unbelievers from taking communion. I would assume that at least some Catholics actually love God and believe in the death and resurrection of Christ so would then qualify as able to take communion. Though at the Catholic masses I attended in Spain I didn't take communion because I knew they didn't want me to.

Apparently other denominations do it differently.

What makes Catholics different in this respect, and does not allow them to take Communion in other churches or non-Catholics to receive Communion, is that they believe in Transubstantiation.

CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: The Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist

Without the proper understanding and belief in this, partaking Communion is not possible.

I believe all other Christian denominations see it either as symbolic or possessing some other spiritual quality.

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Take Five, do you attend Latin masses?

No, they're not really offered around where I live. But I do sometimes wish the Mass was still universally in Latin, because then I could be comfortable at Mass anywhere in the world.

Nyx

No, they're not really offered around where I live. But I do sometimes wish the Mass was still universally in Latin, because then I could be comfortable at Mass anywhere in the world.

Well this brings up the big deal of Vatican II, Novus Ordo vs. Tridentine Mass... and the bringing back of traditional Catholics ( with things like the SSPX and FSSP), who almost look like a different religion compared to NO.

but I just wanted to add that Orthodoxy also believes in Transubstantiation... as I understand it.

But in regards to the OP, you can't inherently be a sin, and also all those things you listed are not inherently sinful... what makes them sinful are your intentions and your Will.

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Well this brings up the big deal of Vatican II, Novus Ordo vs. Tridentine Mass... and the bringing back of traditional Catholics ( with things like the SSPX and FSSP), who almost look like a different religion compared to NO.

but I just wanted to add that Orthodoxy also believes in Transubstantiation... as I understand it.

But in regards to the OP, you can't inherently be a sin, and also all those things you listed are not inherently sinful... what makes them sinful are your intentions and your Will.

Not really familiar with FSSP, but SSPX is nuts. Borderline heretical, even by my traditional, orthodox, conservative standards. I think Latin Mass should be offered to congregations (and they often are), but not mandatory. For international purposes, the universal Mass was a good thing.

S

Sniffles

Well as of now, parishes can choose to which rite of the mass they offer. Personally I prefer the Tridentine Mass over Novous Ordo, although I've seen a few good Latin Novous Ordo masses before.

Nyx

Not really familiar with FSSP, but SSPX is nuts. Borderline heretical, even by my traditional, orthodox, conservative standards. I think Latin Mass should be offered to congregations (and they often are), but not mandatory. For international purposes, the universal Mass was a good thing.

I agree SSPX is verging on sedevacantism (probably lots of closet sedes though)

I have never been to a Tridentine Mass, only a NO Latin Mass, but I am dying to go to one because I agree with the traditional Catholic way of things. The closest Mass is almost 20 miles away though, and I don't drive. I've been thinking about bugging the four local parishes to see how they would react to the proposition. I think some members of SSPX also claim that Novus Ordo Sacraments are invalid.