User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: Sin and MBTI

MBTI
    ?

Christian.
    Barely know who Joel Osteen is.
    Can't hate church ladies... they're kind of endearing in their sincerity. And I like their hats.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I haven't read anything by Joel Olsteen. Know next to nothing about him, but I have this instinctive dislike for almost anyone who writes the latest and greatest Christian self-help book, so I kind of hate him on principle.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Am I the only Christian here who hates Joel Olsteen? Yeah and church ladies, hate them too with a passion.
    If by "hate" you mean "thinks that what he teaches is false and harmful," then no, you aren't the only Christian here that hates Joel Osteen.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Well, and church ladies . . . they are in every church, probably something like them in any organization anywhere you go. They suck for real. I guess they are just unhappy and want to spread it around. I'd say try to avoid/ignore them as much as possible and if you get enough of it, challenge them in some way. Sometimes people are bullies and the only thing they respect is pushing back at them.

A lot of people just parrot stuff they've heard on TBN or read in the latest Joel Olsteen book or whatever without thinking much about it: ignore.
    Disliking Church Ladies is a wonderful topic to bring up ... because while they're telling you that you're being sinful for being emotional or unmotivated, they're committing the sins of pride, arrogance, judgement....see? Sin comes is all shapes and sizes, and no one is excused. That's why forgiveness is necessary. None of us are blameless.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

LOL.

Yes and then I'm sinning by thinking they are evil old biddies and I also have this nagging fear that I will be one someday (or maybe I already am one, except not as wrinkly). It's all very . . . sinny.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Sniffles

Indeed, transforming faith into third-rate Dr. Phil self-help BS alone is enough reason to be suspicious of somebody's teaching.

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Disliking Church Ladies is a wonderful topic to bring up ... because while they're telling you that you're being sinful for being emotional or unmotivated, they're committing the sins of pride, arrogance, judgement....see? Sin comes is all shapes and sizes, and no one is excused. That's why forgiveness is necessary. None of us are blameless.
    Looks like a naughty sinner here needs a dose of Church Chat:
    [youtube="z-ByoJ7amKs"]Church Chat w/ Church Lady[/youtube]

MBTI
    ?

Eh, most of 'em are well-meaning enough. Careful not to make them too 2-dimensional.

[church ladies, not the Joel Osteen types]

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

I'm going to answer your post when I get on tomorrow and have time to reply thoroughly.
    I'll leave you with this though: God judges whats in your heart, your intentions. I truly believe that God has mercy on those who didn't know such things were sin [if they are sin] and those who truly want to change-even if time and time again they fail. He will forgive us for the same thing over and over again. I think you can be truly sorry, but temptations can get the best of us some times and thats where He cames in and picks us up and puts us on the right path. We may fall of that path several times because of the same issue, but He will not leave you to your demise. He'll pick you up, brush you off and away you go again.

I'll continue tomorrow though. Goodnight dear,
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

OP: Wow.

It's a toxic environment.

I totally get the talk about sin, spent a lot of time there.
    If you don't want to displease God, a natural response is to try to avoid doing "bad things."

The trouble is that it's not about following a list of rules.

Think about the perfect mom or dad.
    Do you want the parent who has a list of rules that act like a yoke upon your shoulders and bear you down to the ground under the weight of it?
    Or do you want a parent who senses your good intent, inspires you to do positive things and be fully who you are, and encourages you to change rather than threatening to punish you every time you "break one of a zillion rules?"

The church lady approach seems typical as an "entry" into religion, but living a good life and being loving and pleasing God will take you far past that entry point.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    nite
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Sin comes is all shapes and sizes, and no one is excused. That's why forgiveness is necessary. None of us are blameless.
    Of course, someone as decadent as yourself would have to take that position.

Seriously, though, the obvious problem is that the definition of sin is highly subjective, which is why these arguments are tedious.
    X___________________________________

If things are not what they seem, and we are forever reminded that this is the casethen it must also be observed that enough of us ignore this truth to keep the world from collapsing. Thomas Ligotti, The Mystics of Muelenberg