• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

astral projection

Kyi

MBTI Type
ENFP
For those who know what it is, have you been able to achieve something like that or believe that it is possible?

It's sort of like an out of body experience... but with the belief that the physical human body and the spirit/soul can be seperated temporarily and enter another realm in a conscious level... or something of that sort.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I would like to learn that, it would be fun.

The only "supernatural" things I have successfully mastered are the tarots, the Book of Changes and astrology. The reason these work, they are basically random punch-lines that trigger the unconscious. In other words, nothing special. Can be useful though...

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
I have experienced the feeling of the mind and body being separate on many occasions, always when close to falling asleep or waking up. I do not believe there are any supernatural implications though.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I've had one non-drug related 'astral projection' experience before. I'm not ready to say it's supernatural though. I was taking a nap and falling in and out of sleep, then all of the sudden I'm floating a few inches away from the top of the door to the room, near the ceiling. I had no awareness of having a body, and I had crystal clear picture of the room (I didn't look down to try and see myself sleeping though). Didn't panic or anything, just took it in for what felt like a minute or two.

It's possible that I was using my memory of the room to experience floating near the door, and not existing on some astral plane. But the level of detail I experienced visually was very odd, I didn't think I could do that simply from memory.

Some people are able to do this on purpose, with practice and various methods to almost hypnotize yourself into the state.

I've had out-of-body drug experiences, but those are different.

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
I wish I did...part of me strongly wants to. But then, I'm in the middle of an existential crisis. As soon as I believe I have a soul again, I will. :doh::laugh:

nanook

a scream in a vortex
just be with yourself. all experiences are only symptoms of achieving this. (when i say "all", i mean: not only far out super special experiences)

Drezoryx

MBTI Type
ENTp
ok this topic shud continue.... lets talk about experiences? sources of info? techniques? so on...i remember william buhlman has great book on this...

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
For those who know what it is, have you been able to achieve something like that or believe that it is possible?

It's sort of like an out of body experience... but with the belief that the physical human body and the spirit/soul can be seperated temporarily and enter another realm in a conscious level... or something of that sort.

I've dabbled in it. I believe it's mostly a simulation created within the brain. In such cases when people claim to be able to view/see things in real time, info that they wouldn't have access to from their sleeping bodies, I think it's primarily exaggeration. However, I do leave room for the possibility that the brain can pick up and communicate information from others on a subconscious level, kinda like a wireless network. But as far as I know, there is no scientific basis for such, at least not yet.

That state of lucidity is a really fun experience though. Unlike anything else we can experience, and it is indeed a very unique state of consciousness. The sciences can assert that much, and attribute that state of consciousness to physical brain events. Science cannot, however, attribute such states of consciousness to anything spiritual or beyond the physical. There is certainly no need for nonphysical explanations either, they just make it all seem more grandiose, although what the physical brain does is quite miraculous in its own right.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I have experienced the feeling of the mind and body being separate on many occasions, always when close to falling asleep or waking up. I do not believe there are any supernatural implications though.

I was taking a nap and falling in and out of sleep, then all of the sudden I'm floating a few inches away from the top of the door to the room, near the ceiling. I had no awareness of having a body, and I had crystal clear picture of the room (I didn't look down to try and see myself sleeping though). Didn't panic or anything, just took it in for what felt like a minute or two.

It's possible that I was using my memory of the room to experience floating near the door, and not existing on some astral plane. But the level of detail I experienced visually was very odd, I didn't think I could do that simply from memory.

I've had experiences like these. They're called hypnagogic or hypnopompic hallucinations (hypnagogic when it's happening while you're falling asleep, hypnopompic when you're transitioning from sleep to wakefulness). Sensations of floating, or the opposite - the sense of being weighed down or crushed - are some of the most common ones. They often occur with sleep paralysis, in which a person wakes up conscious but unable to move. It's been studied in sleep labs, and it happens when the brain undergoes some REM sleep activity while the person is still conscious and aware. So the transition between awake and asleep gets a bit out of sync, and you end up sort-of-dreaming and sort-of-awake at the same time.

I once saw a vacuum cleaner while I was "floating" above my bed, and when I completely woke up the vacuum cleaner wasn't really there. It had been in that place before, but it wasn't that morning. So I was aware of where I was, but I wasn't really seeing the room; my brain was just filling in details based on what I'd seen at other times.

I've also had experiences of feeling like I'm being lifted up, high above my body, and then plunged back down into it. The first time this happened, I felt a very intense sense of dread during the plunging down part. It felt violent and hellish. I was afraid of having another experience like it. I had the lifting and dropping sensations several times after that, but they felt neutral.

I've also had 'false awakenings': I've gotten out of bed, and usually felt something off with the way I was moving. Either it would be really hard to move or I'd feel floaty, as if I was walking on the moon. Then suddenly wake up for real and I'd be back in bed, fully conscious, and everything would be normal again.

Interesting site about these types of experiences here:

Sleep Paralysis and Associated Hypnagogic and Hypnopompic Experiences

It goes into some of the science behind it, contains descriptions of some people's experiences, and give suggestions on how to prevent these experiences if you don't like them.

Argus

MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't believe astral projection in a spiritual sense. But I do believe the brain has the capacity of chemical reactions able to simulate such an experience.

P.S. I say this believing that every person has a body, mind and soul.
Every person besides Lexicon, that is.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
I've had experiences like these. They're called hypnagogic or hypnopompic hallucinations (hypnagogic when it's happening while you're falling asleep, hypnopompic when you're transitioning from sleep to wakefulness). Sensations of floating, or the opposite - the sense of being weighed down or crushed - are some of the most common ones. They often occur with sleep paralysis, in which a person wakes up conscious but unable to move. It's been studied in sleep labs, and it happens when the brain undergoes some REM sleep activity while the person is still conscious and aware. So the transition between awake and asleep gets a bit out of sync, and you end up sort-of-dreaming and sort-of-awake at the same time.

I once saw a vacuum cleaner while I was "floating" above my bed, and when I completely woke up the vacuum cleaner wasn't really there. It had been in that place before, but it wasn't that morning. So I was aware of where I was, but I wasn't really seeing the room; my brain was just filling in details based on what I'd seen at other times.

I've also had experiences of feeling like I'm being lifted up, high above my body, and then plunged back down into it. The first time this happened, I felt a very intense sense of dread during the plunging down part. It felt violent and hellish. I was afraid of having another experience like it. I had the lifting and dropping sensations several times after that, but they felt neutral.

I've also had 'false awakenings': I've gotten out of bed, and usually felt something off with the way I was moving. Either it would be really hard to move or I'd feel floaty, as if I was walking on the moon. Then suddenly wake up for real and I'd be back in bed, fully conscious, and everything would be normal again.

It goes into some of the science behind it, contains descriptions of some people's experiences, and give suggestions on how to prevent these experiences if you don't like them.

Yes.

evilrobot

MBTI Type
nite
Enneagram
5w4
Timothy Leary's dead.
No, no, no, no, He's outside looking in.
Timothy Leary's dead.
No, no, no, no, He's outside looking in.
He'll fly his astral plane,
Takes you trips around the bay,
Brings you back the same day,
Timothy Leary. Timothy Leary.

--The Moody Blues “Legend of a Mind”

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
I think the mind can quite convincingly pretend to be outside itself for a time, especially in altered mental states like when partially asleep or drugged. But these are illusions that the recipients choose to believe in rather than engaging with a clear perspective.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP

Really interesting. :yes:

Soujiro

MBTI Type
INFJ

This is not Astral travel/projection.

Astral Travel, aka Out of body experience, can be hard to explain to others, especially if they haven't experienced it, and in this day and age "If science can't give concrete answers, it's seen as some paralysis/disorder/brain malfunction/ or some crap like that"

I've actually astral travelled. Astral travelling/projection is not an hallucination, nor is it sleep paralysis, or any of that crap science tries to tag it with just to make it seem like it understands it. It is certainly not a dream either. Trust me, when you astral travel for the first time, you'll know.

People need to understand that their precious science doesn't have the answers to everything, and only then will they be more open to the possibility that there are many things that are far beyond the scope of science.

What happened that beautiful day:

I went to bed just like every other night. A couple hours later I woke up. I got up and walked out of bed, but something didn't feel right. I looked back and saw myself sleeping. I was like "What the heck". The problem was it didn't feel like I was sleeping/dreaming, I felt real, just like right now. My physical body was right there in my bed, but my spirit had left. I looked out my window and above in the sky I could see another dimension. There was a tear in the sky and above that tear was a place different from this world.
All of a sudden I started to float up, getting higher and higher. I could see all the world, everything, and I could see everyone. Before I knew it, I had gone above the tear in the sky and into the other dimension. I could look down below and see the world we live in. It was like looking out of a house from a window. The outside is earth, and the inside of the house is the other dimension. You can go in and out anytime you want.
Anyway, when I went to the other dimension it was so beautiful. It was exactly what i thought perfection was. Like if I could copy and paste what I thing perfection looks like on a canvas, it would look just like this. I was such a beautiful garden. The next thing I saw an old man, white beard with a robe on, and a young play sitting down playing with Lions, but the lions were harmless. The old man looked like the perfect ideal of what I would envision wisdom to look like were it in human form, and the young boy looked like someone that I had known in a past life.
I sat down with the old man and we played chess, while the boy continued to play with the lions near by. Then it finally hit me, I asked the old man "Am I dead". I didn't talk, but rather communicated through telekenesis. There was no talking in world. Like when I first crossed the tear into the dimension, the oldman and young boy had expressions on their faces that showed me they were happy to see me and that they cared. They didn't say "hello", but rather I knew how they felt by some form of telekenesis communication that I can't explain.
Anyway, I asked the old man "Am I dead", then he stopped playing chess with me and communicated to me "It's not yet your time". All of a sudden I could feel myself sinking, falling back to earth, falling below the tear in the sky. As I fell I kept on asking them "What's happening am I dead yet". They simply waved and waved as I fell, as if to say "Take care, thank you for coming". As I fell from the sky i could see that my trajectory would land me back in my room. This time, I fell straight through the building and into my body. Right when I entered my body I woke up, and asked myself "Did I just die".
Back then I didn't know what that was. Years later after research and reading, I found out I accidentally astral travelled. I've astral traveled other times as well, but I still don't have control over it.
There are those that can do it at will, but mine are mostly accidental. It's very scary the first time you do it, and it feels like you're dead. NO, it is not a dream, you can walk around your room, you'll see yourself sleeping, you can walk into your parents room, you can be anywhere you want in the world, you can go to other dimensions, talk to dead loved ones, etc. It is real.

Sorry i wrote this quickly without re-reading it, so plz excuse my obvious mistakes and grammatical errors. :D

Soujiro

MBTI Type
INFJ
Also i forgot to add.

I have seen spirits/energies. Spirits have called my name a couple times, have tried communicating with me, have touched me many times, i hear their whispers, etc.
but back then I was young and scared and didnt understand what they wanted with me so I tuned them out.

This used to happen to me a lot like crazy when i was younger(teenage days), and I lost most of it, but I'm trying to get it back now (23 next year), but it's a lot harder. Although it is coming back slowing.

Maybe that might also explain why it's so easy for me to believe these things. Also it helps that I've astral travelled.

It's very easy to deem these things are "false" when they don't happend to you, and if you don't have constant encounters with spiritual bodies, such as touching/hearing their whispers.