User Tag List

First 51314151617 Last

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Yes, you are right. Roman Catholics do believe in miracles. And yes they do believe God has revealed himself to us. However they also believe that revelation must be subject to reason.

Of course how well they do this is open to question.
    My point is that Catholics believe that reason and faith both should play a role in their religious practices, however, faith serves a much more significant purpose. In other words, Catholics think that to some degree religious views must be questioned; yet in many other cases they must be accepted as correct solely on authority or by virtue of revelation. The latter approach (faith or acceptance of views on authority) appears to be much more pronounced than the former )or the practice of using reason to question the religious teachings).
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    the Big Bang theory suggests a singularity of mass prior to the expansion of existence. However, if there was a singularity, there must have been a cause for the singularity.
    The sum of all the energy in the universe is zero. Therefore the universe came from nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    My point is that Catholics believe that reason and faith both should play a role in their religious practices, however, faith serves a much more significant purpose. In other words, Catholics think that to some degree religious views must be questioned; yet in many other cases they must be accepted as correct solely on authority or by virtue of revelation. The latter approach (faith or acceptance of views on authority) appears to be much more pronounced than the former )or the practice of using reason to question the religious teachings).
    Sure, and eventually the Trinity will join Zeus and Poseidon in the history of religion.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Sure, and eventually the Trinity will join Zeus and Poseidon in the history of religion.
    Either that or Atheism will join the canon of modern day errors.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    My proposition is more like this: "Given that a person is a Christian, what is the most effective method of approaching Christianity?" Then I answer this question by saying that believing in miracles is more effective than not believing in miracles.
    I guess I just have issues with choosing to believe something just because you want to believe it. So the sort of proposition you are making seems very irrelevant to me in general; I'm most interested in making sure things I invest in eternally and base my life on are true to begin with, not really trying to maximize the impact of a system that could easily be as wrong as right.

Authenticity is of primary important to me in the pursuit of Truth.
    Making something work just because I've chosen to believe it, less so.
    If what you choose to believe isn't true, why does it even matter if you maximize its potential?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Either that or Atheism will join the canon of modern day errors.
    In the 19th Century Modernism itself was declared a heresy. But then in the 20th Century Vatican II modernised itself.

And when the Trinity joins Zeus and Poseidon in the history of religion, it is almost certain that the Trinity will be replaced by a new God, just as Zeus and Poseidon were replaced by the Trinity.

And we will snigger at those who once believed in the Trinity, just as we snigger at those who once believed in Zeus and Poseidon.

So atheism is a moveable feast - for those who no longer believe in Zeus and Poseidon are atheists, just as those who may not believe in the Trinity are atheists.

There are all kinds of atheists - it just depends on what God you don't believe in or worship.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

There is something in us that wants a triune god. The concept is eternal. We just change the names. You have to look at the essence of the idea, not the face it assumes. The surfaces change but the essence doesn't.
    Check the wiki: Category:Triune gods - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    There is something in us that wants a triune god.
    But wishing doesn't make it so.

In the 19th Century Modernism itself was declared a heresy. But then in the 20th Century Vatican II modernised itself.
    Yeah... too bad the Vatican does not contain the whole Truth about Christianity. It is just another corrupted interpretation of it. Beyond that, it claims it has the Truth and styles itself a monarchy with Pope which causes many, many problems including questionable dogmas. We can go back to the roots of Christianity and understand why. Many traditional Catholics are opposed to Vatican II and Modernism with its "Cult of Progress".

Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
    Many traditional Catholics are opposed to Vatican II and Modernism with its "Cult of Progress".
    And these same traditional catholics support the tradition of anti-semitism, quite unlike the modern, progressive Church.