First 2101112131422 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Yes, the Copts of Egypt claim to be the oldest living christian church.

Unfortunately they live as dhimmis under Islam in Egypt.

And so they are persecuted by muslims according to the Koran, the word of Allah.

So the Copts deserve our continuing support.

And the Copts are an object lesson for us, for they show us what will happen to us under Islam.

And the Copts are lucky as they are designated as dhimmi by the Koran. It could be worse, they could be designated, infidels.
    Wow, what ignorance... I've mentioned before I've lived in the ME for a section of my life didn't I? Well, I lived in Egypt and Kuwait. I've lived the experience and I can tell you first hand that the christians in Egypt do not live in the way in which you described. Christians in Egypt lean towards the higher class of society in Egypt so they are treated with respect there whereas the low class egyptians are the ones that are treated poorly. The christians there are free to practice what they want as well as the atheists, buddhists and any other religion worth mentioning. I'd have to say the copts in Egypt are actually living quite good lives and most of them wouldn't dream of leaving egypt. I can say the same for the greek and armenian christians that reside there too. May you be supported in receiving more truthful knowledge.

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

^lol that was brutal destruction, and very interesting.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    Wow, what ignorance... I've mentioned before I've lived in the ME for a section of my life didn't I? Well, I lived in Egypt and Kuwait. I've lived the experience and I can tell you first hand that the christians in Egypt do not live in the way in which you described. Christians in Egypt lean towards the higher class of society in Egypt so they are treated with respect there whereas the low class egyptians are the ones that are treated poorly. The christians there are free to practice what they want as well as the atheists, buddhists and any other religion worth mentioning. I'd have to say the copts in Egypt are actually living quite good lives and most of them wouldn't dream of leaving egypt. I can say the same for the greek and armenian christians that reside there too. May you be supported in receiving more truthful knowledge.
    This simply the repetition of Islamic propaganda.

In fact the Copts live as dhimmis in Egypt and they are persecuted by Islam.

If you don't believe me, ask a Copt.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

This simply the repetition of Islamic propaganda.

In fact the Copts live as dhimmis in Egypt and they are persecuted by Islam.

If you don't believe me, ask a Copt.
    Alright so I had a look at the word 'dhimmis' and the minute I read the description I was convinced... that you were absolutely wrong. I'd first like to say that Egypt is not run by shariah law so the whole 'dhimmi' argument falls down the drain. Second is that if they were 'dhimmis' then they would not be allowed to consume such things as alcohol and pork which they do in Egypt.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    As others have pointed out, the "miracles' of "life-change" are things that are possible to anyone. What Christians have that others might not, is the motivation to change. But when you look into how you actually "change" (as taught in Christian books, serons, etc, which has become a huge celebrity-making industry), then it's basically the same "steps", "struggles" and "daily choices" as secular self-help, only flavored with God (such as praying every day).

This invites scrutiny of Christians's behavior, after all, we're saying we're so much better behaved than everyone else. But in practice, we're not that much better. (we try to avoid cursing, drinking, smoking, lying, stealing, cheating, and of course, non-marital sex), but it is really not impressive to people. Especially compared to the explicit physical miracles in the Bible we are likening them to. So I think we've been a bit misguided with this claim of "miracles".
    I'm not sure why you quoted me before saying this, because this has almost nothing to do with what I was talking about. I may have been unclear in my point, so let me clarify.

I was not comparing a Christian to a non-Christian. I was comparing a Christian who believes in miracles to a Christian who does not believe in miracles. A Christian who believes in miracles will believe that there is something greater than themself that is empowering them to change their life, and therefore they will be able to change their life. A Christian who does not believe in miracles will only believe they can change their life from their own power, and their attempts to change will not have the same level of potency.

A very similar idea is supported statistically in the book "The Scandal of the Evangelical Conscience". Although he states the proposition more like this, "A Christian who holds the Bible as their authority has improved behavior compared to a Christian who does not hold the Bible as their authority." The book shows statistically that the behavior of Christians is no better than the behavior of non-Christians (and in some cases it is worse). However there is a statistical improvement in the behavior of Christians who hold the Bible as their authority compared to Christians who do not.
    Amazon.com: The Scandal of the Evangelical Conscience, Why Are Christians Living Just Like the Rest of the World?: Ronald Sider: Books

Anecdotally it is true that some Christians who do not hold the Bible as their authority will have better behavior over other Christians who do. However statistically Christians who hold the Bible as the authority over their life DO have improved behavior over Christians who do not. And remember I am only comparing Christian to Christian here. Let no one think I trying to compare Christian to non-Christian.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Not to be tedious, but ... what do you call "holding the Bible as your authority"? If I believe the Bible is profoundly true in a metaphorical sense, does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Not to be tedious, but ... what do you call "holding the Bible as your authority"? If I believe the Bible is profoundly true in a metaphorical sense, does that count?
    Metaphors are of course lovely and poetry would be nothing without them. However a metaphor can be a metaphor for anything else, so metaphors are neither true nor false. However a metaphor can be beautiful or ugly or plausible or implausible.

So the Bible or anything else can't be true in a metaphorical sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    Alright so I had a look at the word 'dhimmis' and the minute I read the description I was convinced... that you were absolutely wrong. I'd first like to say that Egypt is not run by shariah law so the whole 'dhimmi' argument falls down the drain. Second is that if they were 'dhimmis' then they would not be allowed to consume such things as alcohol and pork which they do in Egypt.
    Egypt claims to be the centre of Islamic learning.

So it would be hard to believe that Egypt is not Islamic.

However you seem to be reflexively repeating Islamic propaganda to us. So perhaps you might be kind enough to tell us what your interest in Islam is.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Metaphors are of course lovely and poetry would be nothing without them. However a metaphor can be a metaphor for anything else, so metaphors are neither true nor false. However a metaphor can be beautiful or ugly or plausible or implausible.

So the Bible or anything else can't be true in a metaphorical sense.
    Don't be rude.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Egypt claims to be the centre of Islamic learning.

So it would be hard to believe that Egypt is not Islamic.

However you seem to be reflexively repeating Islamic propaganda to us. So perhaps you might be kind enough to tell us what your interest in Islam is.
    I just correct your false statements as a person who lived the experience and studied the religions. I am unbiased. You are. I personally don't like it when people spout out false nonsense because of their bias towards something. Also, Islamic propaganda interests me as I have lived in the ME and I'm wondering why the hell the people outside don't realise what it's actually like. Where I hear something outside and see something different inside. But I'm interested in you. Why do you know so little yet talk so much?