User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 65

  1. #31
    Head Pigeon Mad Hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni
    Posts
    1,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by forzen View Post
    The purpose of our life is to reproduce.
    Looking at your avatar, I can certainly see your point.
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

    -τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-

  2. #32
    Senior Member forzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    X/0
    Posts
    547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Avis View Post
    Looking at your avatar, I can certainly see your point.
    I'm just advocating the purpose of life .
    This post grammatical errors had been intentionally left uncorrected.

  3. #33
    Senior Member LEGERdeMAIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,545

    Default

    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? -Epicurus
    Oberon, Epicurus sums up my opinion on god.

    On the basic questions of existence there are thousands upon thousands of pages written. Because there is so much literature available on existentialism it can be difficult to sift through it. If you are really trying to find out the "why's" of being then you would do well to sit under a tree for a few hours a week and think. Take a notebook, write down questions you have and think about them. I have a suspicion that any individual who takes time out of their life to pursue these kinds of questions will be able to find their own answers - all you need is curiosity and a little bit of time.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”


  4. #34
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,538

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by forzen View Post
    The purpose of our life is to reproduce.
    If life is natural selection, then life has no purpose 'cause natural selection has no purpose, not even us.

    So although natural selection doesn't have a purpose, you Forzen, do have a purpose which you have revealed. You have told us your purpose is to reproduce.

    But what do you want to reproduce? Do you want to reproduce yourself? Or do you want to reproduce a symphony or perhaps a great poem? Or would you like to reproduce a scientific discovery?

    If you want to reproduce yourself, you will need the co-operation of a member of the opposite sex. So you should keep in mind that men are attracted to fertility and women are attracted to resources. So if you are a man, you would be wise to build up your resources.

    The danger of you thinking about 'reproduction' (and I think you mean 'sex') is that you will neglect to think about building your resources (which in our society means money), and so natural selection will pass you by.

    And if you are not selected, you will be left on the shelf.

  5. #35
    morose bourgeoisie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,860

    Default

    read Karen Armstrong's biography of the Buddha. It might help.

    It doesn't matter what your religion is, or even if you have one at all.

  6. #36
    Senior Member matmos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    NICE
    Posts
    1,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The danger of you thinking about 'reproduction' (and I think you mean 'sex) is that you will neglect to think about building your resources (which in our society means money), and so natural selection will pass you by.


    He won't be selected.

  7. #37
    Senior Member forzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    X/0
    Posts
    547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    If life is natural selection, then life has no purpose 'cause natural selection has no purpose, not even us.

    So although natural selection doesn't have a purpose, you Forzen, do have a purpose which you have revealed. You have told us your purpose is to reproduce.

    But what do you want to reproduce? Do you want to reproduce yourself? Or do you want to reproduce a symphony or perhaps a great poem? Or would you like to reproduce a scientific discovery?

    If you want to reproduce yourself, you will need the co-operation of a member of the opposite sex. So you should keep in mind that men are attracted to fertility and women are attracted to resources. So if you are a man, you would be wise to build up your resources.

    The danger of you thinking about 'reproduction' (and I think you mean 'sex) is that you will neglect to think about building your resources (which in our society means money), and so natural selection will pass you by.

    And if you are not selected, you will be left on the shelf.
    I assure you I am not neglecting to build up my resources and putting a label on me with your assumption is not going to win you any arguement in my book.

    The purpose of reproducing, just like any species, is to insure the survival of the race. Reproduction's only purpose is our survival, nothing else. The pattern of life forms in our planet is two fold, those who support a system (such as cells, red blood cells, ets) and those who destroy said system (bacteria, virus, etc). However, regardless of the purposes of the species, they reproduce to do what's encoded to their dna. The same with human, we are encoded to live (i'm not going to touch people that commit suicide). Any other assumptions beyond what's already known is pure speculation.

    I'm making a bold statement here that the pattern of lifeform from the simpliest life form to the most complex, which i'm guessing is not a human, probably continues forever. Like numbers, there are infinite in both directions, simple to complex...little to largest. Simple species build complex species and like i said, it probably continues forever. The god we assume exist is the Omega, the most complex life/mechanical/whatever form to exist. So if the universe is as astromical like we assume it is, why would such a complex life form bother with our existance. Our relation with god is the same as our relation with bacteries. And only a handful of people care enough to look at that world with interest.

    So why would we assume that we're some special specie that god created out of his image, because we are arrogant. We do that so we can sleep at night; we do that so we can justify slaughtering chickens, cows, and other species that God put in this planet for our convenience; so we can put ourselves above other species...because God created the human race with his image..so he won't be lonely. How arrogant of us, right? I bet Eve in heaven (maybe hell, who knows) wish she hasn't ate that fucking apple with how much shit we've done to this world.

    My explanation is a little abstract, yet I hope you grasp the concept. Your right though, we put meaning into our life because if we don't, we'll get bored with living.
    This post grammatical errors had been intentionally left uncorrected.

  8. #38
    . Blank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Posts
    1,202

    Default

    Life is a paradox.

    That's about as far as I've gotten.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

    -----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

  9. #39
    Senior Member forzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    X/0
    Posts
    547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post


    He won't be selected.
    Natural Selection defeats Forzen. GG
    This post grammatical errors had been intentionally left uncorrected.

  10. #40
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,538

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by forzen View Post
    Natural Selection defeats Forzen. GG
    Don't give up Forzen for there is still supernatural selection.

    I know it's not popular to talk about supernatural selection, but there is a little angel in all of us.

    And I can see the angel in you, Forzen, peeping through the sludge and boredom of natural selection into the sunny uplands of the supernatural.

    And just think Forzen, it won't be some dame that selects you but your very own angel.

Similar Threads

  1. Finding a career, now with slightly less existential dread!
    By DiscoBiscuit in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-07-2016, 07:04 PM
  2. Replies: 370
    Last Post: 02-07-2016, 09:54 PM
  3. You're on an island. With a television.
    By disregard in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 117
    Last Post: 05-02-2012, 01:40 AM
  4. Relieving existential angst with MBTI
    By Tradewind in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-30-2011, 06:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO