User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Meditation

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Default Meditation

I guess this is as good a place for this subject as any.

I had my first effective meditative experience just a few minutes ago. I am very thankful that I was able to undergo this process. I wonder, what are your various opinions on the subject? It appeared to me to work as a highly-effective means of reconciling things that one's mind needed to deal with, but was blocked for whatever reason. Your thoughts and experiences?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

I sometimes meditate to relieve myself from anxiety. I also meditate to remove negative emotions that comes every once in a while.

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I meditate to ensure that my actions are in tune with who I am, and that things under my control proceed as they should. Sometimes it is more like brooding than contemplating.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I'm an INTP, meditation is practically my default state.

But the kind of meditation where you clear your head of all thoughts, I can't do. It makes me anxious.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

I try to meditate, but there isn't a thought in my head. Then I get bored and go do something else.

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I'm an INTP, meditation is practically my default state.

But the kind of meditation where you clear your head of all thoughts, I can't do. It makes me anxious.
    Well Ajblaise, I don't try an clear my head of all thoughts. All I do is watch my thoughts, and like a cared-for child they start to relax and feel safe and enjoy themselves.

And as my thoughts start to enjoy themselves, I start to enjoy myself. And I let my thoughts play for as long as they like until they get sleepy, then I enfold them in my arms and let them sleep.

And then there I am, wide awake but all my thoughts are sleeping.

This is a delicious moment I enjoy all by myself. I take my time and enjoy the moment until I am again ready for the company of my thoughts.

And then I very gently wake them up, give them a kiss, and listen to their every word.

And my thoughts are always pleased to see me, refreshed and relaxed after a sleep, as I am to see them .

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

...OOOOOoooommmm...

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Meditation is very helpful. It is the one thing that calms my mind down and really allows me to engage in some contemplation....My extraverted nature gets shoved to the side, and I can go deep inside myself. It's very important, or I burn out relatively quickly.

You don't have to make strange sounds. Just close your eyes and black out your brain. I imagine this is what people who drink alcohol or take drugs try to do, and I can do it naturally.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

it's a nuclear device antireconciler's Avatar
    MBTI
    Intj
    Enneagram
    5w4 so
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    And my thoughts are always pleased to see me, refreshed and relaxed after a sleep, as I am to see them .
    Thank you Barney.
    ~ a n t i r e c o n c i l e r
    What is death, dies.
    What is life, lives.

Quote Originally Posted by antireconciler View Post
    Thank you Barney.
    Yes, meditating is treating oneself as a loved child. And in particular, treating our thoughts as loved children.

Unfortunately many of us have not been loved as children so we don't know how to love ourselves now. And in particular we don't know how to love our thoughts - in fact many of us hate our thoughts just as we hate ourselves.

So our first instinct is to get rid of our thoughts - but our thoughts are profoundly part of us. So to hate them and try to get rid of them is a profound act of cruelty.

But most of us have not been loved and so we don't know how to love, we don't know how to love even something as intimate as our thoughts.

And if we don't know how to love ourselves intimately, we certainly don't know how to love someone else intimately. So intimacy is cruelly beyond our reach.

So we try to find all kinds of mechanical ways to reach each other. We try techniques such as MBTI. But techniques are only work with things and techniques don't work with persons.

So we become more and more technically proficient with MBTI and further and further from intimacy.

And this is what we want - for intimacy burns those who can't love.
    Likes elodia liked this post