User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Thread: Meditation

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i have only really been able to quiet the noise a couple of times. it's really not easy.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

I meditate when

1.) I have negative emotions
    2.) When I don't know what I am feeling
    3.) When I need to make a decision
    4.) When I need to tell my mind to stfu for a bit, because I have to consciously do that, otherwise, it won't

I find it very helpful, for any number of reasons.

/end opinion
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

Default Spontaneous Meditation

Sometimes I will spontaneously meditate, without my choosing to do so.

It is like a combination of pleasure and fear.

The pleasure comes as I spontaneously enter the meditative state - it is a bit like moving under water. And the fear comes from losing control.

The fear is quite intense and allows me to choose to go on or return to the waking state.

Normally I go on and the fear only lasts a minute or so, and then there I am in a deep meditative state, where I don't know what will happen next, and where time has disappeared and I am exquisitely attuned to beauty.

Fortunately this spontaneous meditation usually takes place in a park or the Bush, so I am surrounded by beauty and peace.

I almost always attend to my spontaneous meditation because I think it is my deeper self trying to tell me something.

Of course the deeper self is completely wordless so does not say anything, rather the deeper self shows me something. And the deeper self shows me beauty. And if my deeper self could speak, they would say to me, "You are beautiful".

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbah View Post
    Does anyone here have experience with meditating for the the spiritual purpose of uniting with (the true nature of) Reality? I am considering making a serious effort at this but am not sure how to go about it. I have experienced this spontaneously but would like to work at it through will.
    No, but I thought I was close to finding out what it was when I was tripping on acid once. And from what I hear, reaching enlightenment is the same or close to the same thing. Drugs just take you straight there, unnaturally.. while meditating can get you to that point naturally.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Default But how?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    i have only really been able to quiet the noise a couple of times. it's really not easy.
    The thing is I don't know what I'm supposed to do when I want to meditate for this purpose. Do I concentrate on something, or do I try to become empty and then something will happen... is there a certain method?

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    It is like a combination of pleasure and fear.

The pleasure comes as I spontaneously enter the meditative state - it is a bit like moving under water. And the fear comes from losing control.
    So Victor feels fear. I haven't tried yet to go intentionally very deeply (so little space and time these days) but when I think about trying it, I feel sad. I think because I feel alone.

Quote Originally Posted by milkyway2 View Post
    No, but I thought I was close to finding out what it was when I was tripping on acid once. And from what I hear, reaching enlightenment is the same or close to the same thing. Drugs just take you straight there, unnaturally.. while meditating can get you to that point naturally.
    Yes, I've heard of people using drugs to achieve it but I don't think it would be a reflection of real change in my self if I did it that way. One reason I would like to find out how to meditate for this is because I know that certain emotions and conflicts I have have no real basis, I know this with my mind. This helps a lot, so these emotions and conflicts don't disturb me too much but nevertheless, I experience things that I know are false, and I would like to be free of these so that my experience is (ideally only) that of what I know to be true. Hence, unifying with Reality.

But I don't know how to work on it. I don't think just sitting and thinking will do it because I already think about it but don't experience it apart from the spontaneous time it happened.
    the shoheen ho of the wind of the west and the lulla lo of the soft sea billow - Alfred Graves

MBTI
    INxj
    Enneagram
    4w5

I like to go cycling along the creek around sunrise, and meditate on one of the rocks there. I don't know much about the technical side :
    I try to direct all my thinking to the simple motion of my diaphragm when breathing in and out, and chase away all other thoughts (without thinking about how I am chasing them away, this is so difficult).
    Sometimes when I do it for a while, the feeling of detachment brings a bit of a nausea, so I stop. I might be doing something wrong there, but anyway, after, I still get interesting results :
    greatly increased focus and perceptivity of everything as greater clarity of thoughts.

Although I don't know whether it is proper meditation or not, I often fall asleep for short times and enjoy the vivid portions of dreams, and try to remember them or keep a bit of their essence alive.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Loxias View Post
    I like to go cycling along the creek around sunrise, and meditate on one of the rocks there.
    That sounds nice. I live very urban though, although opposite a park with a big river but I'd be afraid of getting mugged going there alone so early, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Loxias View Post
    I don't know much about the technical side :
    I try to direct all my thinking to the simple motion of my diaphragm when breathing in and out, and chase away all other thoughts (without thinking about how I am chasing them away, this is so difficult).
    Sometimes when I do it for a while, the feeling of detachment brings a bit of a nausea, so I stop. I might be doing something wrong there, but anyway, after, I still get interesting results :
    greatly increased focus and perceptivity of everything as greater clarity of thoughts.

Although I don't know whether it is proper meditation or not, I often fall asleep for short times and enjoy the vivid portions of dreams, and try to remember them or keep a bit of their essence alive.
    I will try that. guess I should just experiment and see what happens.
    the shoheen ho of the wind of the west and the lulla lo of the soft sea billow - Alfred Graves

Walking, Breathing, Dancing Meditation

So Victor feels fear. I haven't tried yet to go intentionally very deeply (so little space and time these days) but when I think about trying it, I feel sad. I think because I feel alone.
    Any repetition will do.

Walking meditation is a good repetition. The repetition is one step then another, one step then another. And very soon you are into a rhythmic repetition.

Or breathing meditation is a good repetition. First you breathe in then you breathe out, then you breathe in then you breathe out. And before long you are into another rhythmic repetition.

Or perhaps you might introspect to find what you want, put it into three words or so and say them once, twice, three times and keep on saying them to yourself. Until the words carry you on their repetitive sound. This is called my mantra meditation.

It's summer here so I sit on the edge of the pond with my feet in the cool water and move my legs up and down, up and down in a rhythmic paddling. And very soon my attention is drawn to the gold fish and the rushes and the fountain. I call this my paddling meditation.

But my favourite meditation is dancing meditation. Sometimes I dance in front of the waterfall so slowly I hardly seem to be moving. And as I move so slowly, my mind slows down to the speed of the breeze playing on the waterfall.

Sometimes I put on some rock'n'roll and dance fast for five minutes, then I sit down for five minutes. I do this five times and it takes fifty minutes. I call this my interval meditation, or 5X5X5, or simply l'alternance meditation.

The only time I feel fear is in spontaneous meditation. But this is only to alert me to the meditative state to come and to ensure that I do it in a safe place.

And when you think about meditating, you feel sad because you feel alone.

And yes, it is sad to be alone.

But the very nicest meditation is to meditate with someone else. My favourite is to do my dancing 5X5X5 meditation with a partner.

First I dance fast for five minutes while they sit, watch and take care, then they dance fast for five minutes while I sit, watch and take care. We do this five times. And it takes fifty minutes.

Victor.

MBTI
    INxj
    Enneagram
    4w5

That sounds nice. I live very urban though, although opposite a park with a big river but I'd be afraid of getting mugged going there alone so early, lol.
    Oh, yeah, I see what you mean.
    I usually do that because my home has too much stuff to attract my attention, I need somewhere a bit naturally empty like by the creek.
    But I think any quiet place without too much distraction, a bit of breeze and natural sounds (river, birds...) would do.

I will try that. guess I should just experiment and see what happens.
    Keep us up about how it worked for you. I'd be very interested in reading about different experiences with that technique.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

The thing is I don't know what I'm supposed to do when I want to meditate for this purpose. Do I concentrate on something, or do I try to become empty and then something will happen... is there a certain method?
    both can work. I've done both. quiet enough that you become focused, or focus enough that you become quiet, stuff can happen after that too