User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 73

Thread: Meditation

  1. #31
    Senior Member LEGERdeMAIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,545

    Default

    Meditation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    This is basically a short list of Meditation and how several religious and spiritual organizations use it.

    It's best to steer clear of guru's and other egotists. Find a yoga center near you and talk to an instructor about local teachers. Ask for the names of a handful of teachers and then give them a call.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”


  2. #32
    Senior Member NewEra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    I
    Posts
    3,104

    Default

    I've heard if you're troubled, the best kind of meditation is to visualize yourself doing positive, good things in whatever is troubling you. This goes a long way towards helping and improving your state of mind.

  3. #33
    No moss growing on me Giggly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so
    Posts
    9,666

    Default

    Bumped because I'm recognizing the need for meditation in my life. I need it to help me clear my mind so that I can focus on what I need to do for the day and for helping remove anxiety so that I can sleep through the night. The problem is I don't know how to meditate really. If anyone has any descriptions, tips or suggestions for learning it would be greatly appreciated.

  4. #34
    Kraken down on piracy Lux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,527

    Default

    I meditate every day. I have for a few years. I think it keeps me sane. I repeat a mantra to myself and focus on the rhythm of the words and my breath. I let my thoughts do what they will. Sometimes they unfold and others they tangle themselves up. Either or is fine with me.
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

    "Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

  5. #35
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    What's interesting about this is its been discussed by a couple of psychological writers I like, Alex Lowen, Eric Fromm etc. who suggest that one of the ills of modern western society is a state of constant over stimulation, craved by narcissistic individuals who cant spend time alone or quietly without seeking multiple diversions simultaneously to keep them in state of alertness.

    I just realised that it was me pretty much, I've been keeping a reflective journal for a while an reading rather than meditating, although with the TV etc. off it is less stimulating than doing a number of things or receiving a number of stimuli simultaneously so its something.

    Thinking of doing this though, I know a major obsticle to it will be my unwillingness to sacrifice my free time to something like meditation thouh, any time I sit for moment I begin to think what I could or should be doing, that my time is precious, that I dont have as much of it as I'd like.

  6. #36
    No moss growing on me Giggly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so
    Posts
    9,666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lux View Post
    I meditate every day. I have for a few years. I think it keeps me sane. I repeat a mantra to myself and focus on the rhythm of the words and my breath. I let my thoughts do what they will. Sometimes they unfold and others they tangle themselves up. Either or is fine with me.
    How do you feel afterwards?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    What's interesting about this is its been discussed by a couple of psychological writers I like, Alex Lowen, Eric Fromm etc. who suggest that one of the ills of modern western society is a state of constant over stimulation, craved by narcissistic individuals who cant spend time alone or quietly without seeking multiple diversions simultaneously to keep them in state of alertness.

    I just realised that it was me pretty much, I've been keeping a reflective journal for a while an reading rather than meditating, although with the TV etc. off it is less stimulating than doing a number of things or receiving a number of stimuli simultaneously so its something.

    Thinking of doing this though, I know a major obsticle to it will be my unwillingness to sacrifice my free time to something like meditation thouh, any time I sit for moment I begin to think what I could or should be doing, that my time is precious, that I dont have as much of it as I'd like.
    The opportunity cost for me is worth it. I get distracted easily and can get emotionally distraught easily. I plan to use it to help me with my focus and to facilitate calmness so that I can get things done. The things that distract me are a barrier to me getting things done. And I think you're only supposed to do it for like 20 mins at a time.

  7. #37
    Kraken down on piracy Lux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    How do you feel afterwards?
    I usually feel calmer. I am more aware of my physical body afterword as well. I find I am nicer after I meditate. At least that's what I've been told.
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

    "Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

  8. #38
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lux View Post
    I usually feel calmer. I am more aware of my physical body afterword as well. I find I am nicer after I meditate. At least that's what I've been told.
    All the processes, deep breathing etc. are hardwired to provide a mind-body relief and oxygenate the blood, I'd imagine it would provide both a exhilerating experience of a kind with a calm after burn if you know what I mean, in that sort of frame of mind and feeling that way I'd suspect it'd be hard to be anything but nice.

  9. #39
    Kraken down on piracy Lux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    All the processes, deep breathing etc. are hardwired to provide a mind-body relief and oxygenate the blood, I'd imagine it would provide both a exhilerating experience of a kind with a calm after burn if you know what I mean, in that sort of frame of mind and feeling that way I'd suspect it'd be hard to be anything but nice.
    Yes. I agree completely. It totally goes back to biology and ATP production, oxygenation of the blood, metabolism etc. It is physically that, but it is mental as well. I think you can somewhat control you bodily reactions with your mind. I think the mind is a powerful companion to the body.
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

    "Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

  10. #40
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,906

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Meditation's different for everyone. What I was referring to was the process of emptying one's consciousness and seeing what happens.
    I tried doing this in a formal way a couple times. The last time, I had bought a book and several CDs and spent a few days on it on and off. Maybe I didn't persist long enough, but the actual act of meditating (emptying my mind) was a bit boring. That being said, it seems the concept is important. We all lead such busy and activity filled lives that you don't have a chance to slow down and think - get the creative juices going. I do this a lot while driving and listening to music. It is one of the reasons I always drive to work vs. taking the train. The best alpha state experience is probably while getting a massage though.

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

Similar Threads

  1. [ENTP] ENTP and meditation
    By professor goodstain in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 05-25-2009, 06:04 AM
  2. Meditation
    By Snow Turtle in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-01-2009, 02:36 AM
  3. Meditation
    By SuperServal in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-12-2009, 01:20 AM
  4. Meditation
    By ring the bell in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 10-31-2008, 07:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO