Thread: Meditation

it's a nuclear device antireconciler's Avatar
    MBTI
    Intj
    Enneagram
    5w4 so
    Socionics
    INTj

I find just taking 20 minutes or so to sit down in seiza and relax to be always rewarding.
    ~ a n t i r e c o n c i l e r
    What is death, dies.
    What is life, lives.

MBTI
    YaYa

I've recently started doing this. I see it kind of exercise for the brain. One more thing to add to makeup holistic health.

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    May I ask what stage you are at? And how long it took you to get there?

I'm trying a similar technique with a similar goal, except I don't categorise, but just acknowledge the thoughts then push or let go of them as 'gently' as I can. I'm not very long in and am having trouble identifying any progress. Though I do think I've made some.
    It's a good idea to wait until you are hungry then find a good teacher who likes themselves and is willing to teach you how to like yourself.

May I ask what stage you are at? And how long it took you to get there?

I'm trying a similar technique with a similar goal, except I don't categorise, but just acknowledge the thoughts then push or let go of them as 'gently' as I can. I'm not very long in and am having trouble identifying any progress. Though I do think I've made some.

I've been meditating for about six years, using hermetic rituals since I was 13 as a (perceived) shortcut to samahdi and I've practicing kundalini for the past two years. I've been able to, inconsistently, push out all thoughts except for the thought I wish to think, which is, according to my intentions, thoughts of existence. I suggest you figure out your own goals for meditation and find a way to reach them. It takes different people different amounts of time to reach the same stage- one size usually fits all, but not very well. It took me about five years, but I practiced very casually until the last couple of years. Describe how you meditate. I'd like to know.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by MaybeLogic View Post
    Describe how you meditate. I'd like to know.
    Well, my personal goals are:-
    To be able to focus/concentrate on something easily and at any time.
    To be able to empty my mind of all thoughts, or at least as close as is possible.
    To be able to enter this state at any time, any place.

I know they are both hefty goals. I'm not expecting to achieve either of them any time soon, especially the last one. From what I've heard both are possible, but take at least a decade of consistent practice.

Currently once a day, soon to be twice, I sit at the end of my bed, close my eyes and focus on my breath. I breathe deep and slow, and accept, but gently push away any thoughts that enter my mind (I find forcing them away causes stress). By thoughts I mean anything other than the focused 'feeling' centred around my breath.

I now go about ten slow breathes without any "big" thoughts (the clear conscious thoughts, sounds, and images that happen at the "front" of the mind), as I call them, but the background chattering is proving a more versatile opponent. They are fast and sneaky, most commonly "hurray, the mind's quiet!", or "In, out, in, out" in rhythm with the breath.

It's usually the background chatter that leads to full distraction too. As I can usually cut off bigger thoughts before they finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    It's a good idea to wait until you are hungry then find a good teacher who likes themselves and is willing to teach you how to like yourself.
    That's probably a good idea, but there are so many types of meditation it's difficult to find a specific teacher.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Sorry if this sounds like a silly question, but I've never really understood what people mean when they say they aim to empty their mind through meditation. What exactly is emptying your mind? And how does it help you? What is supposed to happen when you are able to do this?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbah View Post
    Sorry if this sounds like a silly question, but I've never really understood what people mean when they say they aim to empty their mind through meditation. What exactly is emptying your mind? And how does it help you? What is supposed to happen when you are able to do this?
    I'm no expert, but when I've had a reasonably empty mind, I forgot who I am, what I am doing, and only half remember that I even exist. Very peaceful, and my mind's reaction after waking up is quite euphoric. In the long term it's supposed to give one greater control over their own mind.

I think the actual definition of an "empty mind" varies. As some seem to use it to mean when one is focused on one thing, and one thing only. Which I find a similar state to be in, but haven't been able to pull off particularly well. I think it usually means when your mind is observing "nothing", but still actually observing (paradoxically). Expert meditators often describe it as being aware of nothing but your own "existence".

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Oh ok, so it's like a mental exercise? From what you say it's like it makes your mind stronger and refreshes you. I thought it was supposed to be a spiritual practice? Or is it not necessarily spiritual?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Oh ok, so it's like a mental exercise? From what you say it's like it makes your mind stronger and refreshes you.
    That's how I see it. It acts a lot like physical exercise in that, as long as your technique is good, there's not much you can do beyond keep it up and watch as you get better and better at it naturally.

The good thing is, from what I've seen, ageing doesn't interfere with this type of exercise. In fact it might even strengthen it.

I thought it was supposed to be a spiritual practice? Or is it not necessarily spiritual?
    I think most meditation in the world is done for spiritual reasons. It seems to originate from that, but isn't necessarily spiritual.

That's probably a good idea, but there are so many types of meditation it's difficult to find a specific teacher.
    Well, draw up a list of teachers. Write to each and say you are looking for a meditation teacher and you would like to interview them.

Organise your interview in advance so you know what you are looking for.

This is your first step into meditation. You are in charge. And you are looking for what you need.

However I suggest you start with Dennis Wier.

You can find him by clicking on The Trance Institute