User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Meditation

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

^^ You've got to let go of your shell before you can engage yourself.

Does the period before falling asleep count as meditation? Because I just kinda lie there staring at the ceiling and think of random stuff. If so I meditate on a daily basis.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Meditation's different for everyone. What I was referring to was the process of emptying one's consciousness and seeing what happens.

Like think about of nothing? I allways fall asleep just before that moment.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

I'd say less "thinking of nothing" than "not trying to think of anything". Plenty of thinking going on.

Quote Originally Posted by YaeRRoW View Post
    Does the period before falling asleep count as meditation? Because I just kinda lie there staring at the ceiling and think of random stuff. If so I meditate on a daily basis.
    People meditate more often than they realize.

Quote Originally Posted by YaeRRoW View Post
    Meditation is a disposition towards oneself.

So are you well disposed towards yourself or are you poorly disposed towards yourself?

I use the "Middle Pillar Exercise" on saturday mornings. But....every night or so I meditate for about an hour by laying down on a hard surface with a neck pillow, for head comfort, and turn off/get rid of all lights, noises and other sensory distractions.

I keep my eyes closed and visualize myself in the middle of a sphere. In my sphere I identify thoughts and categorize them before "pushing" them out of the sphere. The object of this exercise is to push out all thoughts. It's very difficult for many people at first, but it gets easier with practice. Eventually(after many, many hours, days, etc) you may succeed in pushing out almost every thought while remaining conscious.

The only thought you should have in the end is of the "existence" or "being-in-time/being-in-space"(if you prefer physics to philosophy) variety. This seems to be paradoxical to some. Basically it's what the Buddhists and others call samadhi. It's the traditional goal of meditation in most schools of yoga.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

I've always wanted to learn how to meditate. Don't know how to. Would love to, but I have tinnitus, which is chronic ear ringing... sooo it kinda takes away from the calming experience.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by MaybeLogic View Post
    I use the "Middle Pillar Exercise" on saturday mornings. But....every night or so I meditate for about an hour by laying down on a hard surface with a neck pillow, for head comfort, and turn off/get rid of all lights, noises and other sensory distractions.

I keep my eyes closed and visualize myself in the middle of a sphere. In my sphere I identify thoughts and categorize them before "pushing" them out of the sphere. The object of this exercise is to push out all thoughts. It's very difficult for many people at first, but it gets easier with practice. Eventually(after many, many hours, days, etc) you may succeed in pushing out almost every thought while remaining conscious.

The only thought you should have in the end is of the "existence" or "being-in-time/being-in-space"(if you prefer physics to philosophy) variety. This seems to be paradoxical to some. Basically it's what the Buddhists and others call samadhi. It's the traditional goal of meditation in most schools of yoga.
    May I ask what stage you are at? And how long it took you to get there?

I'm trying a similar technique with a similar goal, except I don't categorise, but just acknowledge the thoughts then push or let go of them as 'gently' as I can. I'm not very long in and am having trouble identifying any progress. Though I do think I've made some.