User Tag List

123 Last

Default Postmodernism...

Postmodernism is so absurd...like an amalgamation of all the sifted through psychic and literal "junk" from every previous generation. As I sit here and think about it, it becomes even more bizarre... just the concept of postmodern is unnerving. Whenever I think about it I feel like I have a pretty violent reaction. Anyone in the bracket of late teens to late twenties age might understand this tone of absurdity over-toned materialism and vanity. It just seems our age compounded with the advent of communication technology has created a veritable clusterfuck of information. I feel like the amount of information inundating my senses every moment is unbearable in its breadth of history. And it all has to do with the spike in technological advancement... but where are we going from here? I do not sense this as anything hopeful or progressive in any sense, but inherently meaningless. I have heard postmodernism is supposed to be about authenticity (?) but, if this is true, the search has yielded everything frivolous, and the pleasures of the world unsatisfying. I feel like we knew this all too well in previous ages, but this age is completely absorbed in worshiping a well known God, Mammon...drowning in a nihilistic void of sorts, but perhaps most people are unaware of it.

Here's an article in this vein of thought: The End of Solitude - The Chronicle Review - The Chronicle of Higher Education

Where can we possibly go from here? (Or maybe there should be no more we)

First images that came up on a Google images search of "postmodernism":

and, of course, the embodiment of postmodernism... the hipster:

Sniffles

The standard form of postmodernism is indeed absurd garbage; however there are some strains worthy of support - particularly in the form of Radical Orthodoxy.

I would recommend learning about General Semantics or, more specifically, the time-binding element Korzybski espoused. I also recommend learning about cybernetics and metasystem transition.

"The medium is the message."

"The map is not the territory."

Abstractions are necessary as the amount of information available for perception increases, especially considering how much of it is available through real-time, graphic representations(HD television, interactive media). By studying and understanding these concepts you may come to the conclusion that postmodernism is an attempt to remove millions of layers built up after 7000 years of civilization and to rearrange them to make sense of it all. It's a boot, fail, reboot procedure.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    INTP

In the book The Culture of Narcissism, Christopher Lasch speculates that modernism and post-modernism grew out of the industrial age as a result of fine art being accessible to common people. That is, as soon as the peasants had access to easily produced ornamentation, the elite no longer stood apart and had to come up with some bullshit to separate themselves by rejecting certain values in art and science such as excellence, precision, craftsmanship, usefulness etc.

Anyway, it's a good book and there are many others, usually dealing with the damage done to science such as Fashionable Nonsense by Alan Sokal.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Ferris Bueller encompasses everything that Postmodernism is. He is often studied heavily, and referenced among Psychologists.

Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

^They never show Ferris Bueller after graduation; that is, if he graduated.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    ^They never show Ferris Bueller after graduation; that is, if he graduated.
    What is graduation anyways? But the completion of one man's goals..but how do we know when we've graduated? Do we really every graduate?
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    What is graduation anyways? But the completion of one man's goals..but how do we know when we've graduated? Do we really every graduate?
    Having a high school diploma in your possession is usually the standard indicator.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

I think we're already advancing to a new zeitgeist, somewhere between the hopes of transhumanism and the demand for a new 'whole' worldview from the shreds of reality.

Gans associates postmodernism closely with victimary thinking, which he defines as being based on a non-negotiable ethical opposition between perpetrators and victims arising out of the experience of Auschwitz and Hiroshima.
    I strongly agree.

Post-postmodernism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ginkgo

Postmodernism dismantles the essence discovery and tradition and ships the parts en masse. This devalues societal structure of all sorts; seeing as information is the life-blood of our culture. Thus, we will probably experience a reconfiguration of the structure itself, or we will see a new structure arise. With the overpopulation of the new generation - a thankless generation - a generation that believes it is endowed automatic approval, education, recognition, and life itself, we are bound to stagnation and death.

Indeed, you are not yourself. You are a product of all that has been. Individuality is an illusion that blinds narcissistic parasites of today.

Postmodernism and modernism is the chemotherapy. It is the poison that nurtures you, for you were born ill. The only escape is through exile.