• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What have you learnt in life?

Anabel

MBTI Type
isfj
Enneagram
9w1
I have just graduated from university and am in the process of looking for a real job and possibly moving away from my parents for the first time in my life. I feel like a new chapter in my life is about to begin. For those who are older, what advice do you have for someone like me who is about to enter the 'real world'?

This is a very open question - I like wisdom from older people on all aspects of life. If anyone would like to respond - perhaps a few dot points on what you've learnt as you've grown up, whether it be on career/money/family/love/marriage or anything else.

Perhaps you could imagine your own child about to leave home and you only had a few points of advice to give before he/she left - what would you say?

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
Hi Anabel,

Welcome!

I would advise someone entering the 'real world' to listen to their hearts, regardless of situation. You only have one life to live, and you will never know when the one you love goes- so listen to your heart and tell them what you want to tell them before it's too late.

Always try your best, whatever that may be.

Some people are going to like/dislike you, and that's ok. Not everyone shares the same point of view, and let it be.

Remember that each decision has its own consequences, be sure to weigh out all options, and do what feels right from within.. As long as you're not hurting others along the process, pursue whatever makes you happy.

All the best.

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
"Never take life seriously, you won't get out alive"

The quote above is meant to be funny, but sometimes we get lost in our own agenda that we don't take the time to reflect on our priorities, which is the things that would make us happy. Our goal afterall is happiness. Reseting youself when the day ends and living it one day at a time with a clear vision of a goal is the best way i think to live.

Not making excuses on why something can't be done. I've met people who make excuses on why they can't do something, but really it's only a matter of rethinking and reprioritizing your agenda.

A good method, I think is when confronted with an obstacle you can't overcome, adapting a mindset similar to a person who isn't struggling with said obstacle is very helpful. Not just learning from the person, but reprogramming your mind to think like the person and view the obstacle how he or she views it. Networking with people, very very important.

Welcome to the site btw.

Last edited:

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've learned to find personal meaning from the meaningless.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
There's no secret, earn some money, spend your time doing anything (a job, another study, a hobby) and pay your bills and taxes in time and you'll initially be fine. The rest is completely up to you.

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
live at home until you marry a good smart church boy. like an INFP engineer or something who lives at home w his parents or close to them and has good family values. whose still idealistic about relationships and will treat you well.

thats what i would tell my future daughter. hehe

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Eat healthy, reduce manufactured sugar intake.
Find ways to chill out, to create stress free zones.
Surround yourself with positive friends.
Learn as much as you can and live, love and laugh.

Mole

Permabanned
I have just graduated from university and am in the process of looking for a real job and possibly moving away from my parents for the first time in my life. I feel like a new chapter in my life is about to begin. For those who are older, what advice do you have for someone like me who is about to enter the 'real world'?

This is a very open question - I like wisdom from older people on all aspects of life. If anyone would like to respond - perhaps a few dot points on what you've learnt as you've grown up, whether it be on career/money/family/love/marriage or anything else.

Perhaps you could imagine your own child about to leave home and you only had a few points of advice to give before he/she left - what would you say?

Follow your heart. Save your money. Love those around you and they will love you in return.

Timeless

Playnerd
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
What did I learn in life?

Never join America Online, and there are no finish lines or rules in life.

Oh yeah:

The world is your mirror.

Seriously.

FeatheredFrenzy

MBTI Type
ISFJ
You sound a lot like me when I was finished with school. :) I'm in my late 20s (and you're in your early 20's?). I used to read a lot of books back then and had friends that were older, like in their 50's or so. I think I was searching for answers for a long time and trying to be the best person I could be. I had a lot of questions on my mind about everything. I even befriended some of my professors and would visit their homes and talk with them. But then I realized they were people with their own issues, and in some ways, they were less mature and strong than I was! So that didn't work.

But from one ISFJ to another, I would say this:

*Other people's experiences and insights are interesting and can be inspiring, but in the end you'll want to trust your own judgments foremost and draw your own conclusions about things. Don't hold other people's opinions higher than your own.

*If you have a compulsion for self-improvement like I did, it's better to stop and work on self-appreciation instead.

*It's good to think about and be prepared for the future. You don't want to lose sight of it. And time is always moving forward though it doesn't feel like it is. Situations change, people are lost, lots of things are temporary. Even close friendships don't always work out though you intend for them to.

*Develop a healthy amount of skepticism. Don't trust people and be generous towards them right away if you can help it. (This was a huge lesson I had to learn..more than once.) If you have a soft spot for wild types, keep an eye out on their character even if they are a loved one. Don't be unconditionally understanding towards them.

*Make it a priority to find things that are enjoyable and fit them into your life. Seek out pleasures. Having fun should be as essential as bills and laundry, etc.

*When you're feeling very, very upset, let a trusted person in on it. Very difficult to do, but it helps.

*I love the idea of lifelong friendships, and in the back of my mind, it's what I tend to strive for, but it doesn't always work out that way. Some friend(ship)s get to be lousy over time. Though you may already have a small circle of friends you're committed to, keep an eye out for new people you might hit it off with too.

*Admiration and appreciation are hard for people to express. Just know that many people feel that for you though they aren't saying it. They're saying it to each other, but not to you.

*In a couple years, you'll be nicely surprised at how confident and comfortable you feel with yourself. Lots of things won't feel like such a big deal. Shyness and assertiveness get better too if you struggle with those.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I wish I could learn the following things:

1. Don't take things so damned seriously.

2. Don't base your value on achievement.

3. Don't base your achievement only on grades and visible progress.

4. Don't forget to do sports; sleep more and eat better.

5. Have a social life...that doesn't have to do with work, that is.

6. Don't work all the time.

7. Be silly and go wild and crazy (I HAVE ACTUALLY LEARNED THIS YAYYYY! *throws Bun-Bun in the air*)

8. Know who you are and what you want, also when it is not goal-related.

9. Take time to just be. "Know thyself" and what you want.

10. Be happy in your own skin; be yourself (whatever that means). Don't listen to other people all the time.

When I learn that shit, I'll be a happy camper. And I'd advise you to do the same, although I can't really advise when *I* have not even mastered it yet.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
Don't get worried if you have to take a step back to take two steps forward. This is entirely natural.

O

Oberon

I'm not a tenth as smart as I once thought I was... and I'm smarter now than I was then.