• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What have you learnt in life?

Obsidius

Chumped.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
To stay true to reason, even if it means making personal compromises and abandoning what is comfortable.

Cheshire Grin

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I learnt that...

Ultimately, people just want to feel happy and liberated. He wants money because he thinks it will make him happy. She wants a teenager who listens because she thinks it will make her happy. They want to climb to the top of the corporate ladder because they think it will make them happy...and from this, I realised that people can spend decades doing things as a meaningless means to an end, because of the belief that the end will bring them happiness...and then they get there, and then there's something else, and something else. Gratitude creates happiness in the moment. Sharing creates happiness in the moment. Appreciating the little things creates happiness in the moment. And when you realise that, it builds and builds, up to the point where you realise you don't HAVE to do that thing you don't ACTUALLY want to do, because you've already found joy...don't be so fixated on something that everything else becomes nothing. Take it from someone who had to learn it the hard way ;).

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You will find the oldest and wisest people among those who are dying. Dying people are often old and wise, and what is even more important: they often dare to do an honest self assessment (in contrast to most living people) even if this forces them to face the cruel reality.

A lot of advices on this thread are overly philosophic that you can not apply directly before spending a decade to gather enough info to understand the real meaning behind them despite the fact that everything in this world is built up from very simple units.

Learn from dying people.
Some very simple, easy-to-understand, not overly philosophic advices that you can apply easily:
CONFESSIONS OF A FUNERAL DIRECTOR » 37 Pieces of Life Advice from Dying People

Sunflower_Moon

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
I would say to make sure you take time for fun things, or anything you enjoy. . .don't live to work. Have ways to relax and wind down from the stress, leave work at work and be present at home. If you're able to separate the two, your burnout risk goes down if you have a job in the helping field or any kind of high stress job that may or may not deal with heavy issues or emotions (psychology).

Another thing I'd say is to keep only positive people in your life and just let go of the negative people. Positive, meaning people who truly respect you, love you, accept you, loyal, trustworthy, care about you and your well-being, and offer constructive criticism. The negative ones being those who belittle you, don't respect you, don't accept you, lie, gossip, have too much chaos and drama in their lives, manipulate, use you, and are only takers, etc....you get the gist. It's easy to hold onto relationships thinking the person will change, but if you're the one who's invested in the relationship more than they are, and they have no desire to really change, they won't. I did that for many years before I realized that through the fallouts and reconciliations with the person was only resulting with falling back into the same unhealthy pattern of allowing the person to hurt me. It's hard to let go, especially if it's someone close (i.e., a relative), but if you feel horrible around someone who you feel more miserable or stressed out when your around them because of how they treat you, it's best to just leave them in the past and move on after a while of getting nowhere. It takes time to heal, but it'll happen, and you'll have your self-respect, etc...make sure you love yourself. Added to that thought, when/if you get married, marry the person for who they are in the present, not for who you hope they will be in the future because a lot of the time those changes don't happen...I've seen too many marriages go down the drain because of that.

Lastly, just be yourself and enjoy life, but don't lose sight of yourself and what's important :) :)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ask people questions about themselves... you never know what you'll learn and it's the easiest way to make them see you favorably

your loved ones will let you down... just remember that you've probably disappointed them too and think about that before doing anything rash

no matter how much you think you know, you're barely scratching the surface... keep your mind open because you never know what new paths a supposed idiot or side street may take you on that you'd never even imagined :holy:

be in awe of the world around you because it's worth it

learn from your past but don't kick yourself in the head repeatedly for it (and that's one of those things that I know and can't follow :thelook:)

Chrysanthea

Over the 17 years I've been alive, there is one undoubtable piece of knowledge that remains true for everyone, and this I have realized through years of rigorous self-reflection: Never eat frozen burritos from the gas station.

Okay but really, follow the path that leads you to a prolonged happiness (not alcohol), whatever that is for you, and not what society claims should make you "happy". But that should be obvious.

Last edited:

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Never join America Online

did u get 0wnd by 1337 hAx0r, n00b??

aohell.gif

Jade Heart

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp
I've learned everything I know. Duh.

Really, I have though. That question is a very vague one, considering that my answer is most likely true for all people. We've learned what we know, and without that, we know nothing. Our knowledge is like the Tower of Babel, reaching up to the heavens as we accumulate more and more bricks of understanding. However, knowledge can also be your downfall, as illustrated in this case. The people of Babel were provoking God to jealousy of his position, and so he struck them down. And so we can be destroyed by our own knowledge, lest we find out something our minds are not equipped to know. Then, we wither away and ironically become insane, aware of nothing at all and yet slowly being killed by the stark realities we used to wake up to everyday, blissfully unaware of what was happening right before our very eyes.

That being said, I'm agnostic, so I just used the Tower of Babel as an example. I also love gathering knowledge, contrary to what may have been implied above- I just placed myself into a different perspective and wanted to see what I would say when thinking in this manner. I do like to impersonate other points of views on specific subjects, especially if that point of view is as credible as my own- indeed, I often contradict myself in arguments, frequently looking at both sides of the debate and bringing in facts that are as much my self-destruct as theirs (destruction). I can't help it, it's as much a part of me as logical reasoning is, as a matter of fact, deriving from that system itself.

I have gotten off-topic yet again, not to mention posting in a thread that's been inactive for months. Whoops, maybe I should stop that- I did it in another forum too. I feel the need to say sorry, although I don't know what for.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
"You don't always have to like yourself, but you should always love yourself."

Pinker85

How to bake a potato: preheat oven to 425F, poke a few holes with fork in potatoes, grease them up with high heat oil (I like canola or safflower,) sprinkle on kosher salt and bake in oven for 45-60 minutes. My favorite way to eat them is with cheddar cheese and sour cream

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Nothing is fair but nobody wants to hear you bitch about it because it's not fair for them, either.

Silent

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
I've learned someone is always better off than you and someone is always worse off than you, so be thankful and make the best of life. (easier said than done) :D

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Trust your instincts - that gut feeling that tells you to do or not do something. It's only been the last 4 years or so that I've noticed how reliable and accurate my gut feeling has been.

And here's a study about this very phenomenon:

Women’s Wedding Jitters Might Actually Matter

Newlywed wives who were plagued by doubt before the wedding were two-and-a-half times more likely to get divorced four years later than wives who were certain they were making the right choice. And after the four-year mark, couples who originally had doubts but managed not to get divorced didn’t find their marriage to be as satisfying as the doubt-free pairs.

Pinker85

^ In the case of the above, it's difficult to say why the marriages broke up ... but all it seems to say is that someone who doesn't want to do something prior to doing something is more likely than someone w/o that misgiving to not enjoying doing that something. So yeah in that sense trust ur instinct ... the same way u know u want fried chicken and not pork chops for dinner, although I would be equally happy with both.

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
When you enjoy long hot showers (like me) and you have a wooden frame around your bathroom door, always turn a fan on and leave the door slightly fracked otherwise you will get mold and your mom will rip your Fallopian tubes out in your sleep and serve them to you on a silver platter the morning after she finds out

I'm all for being confident in yourself and your abilities, but if you have to constantly rub your achievements in others' faces when they didn't even want to hear about them in the first place and your method of self-loving is putting yourself above others every time, you're less than you think you are. From experience, the people who scream that they're more attractive than you are actually close in feature to a fish anus, people who run around saying they're the next Einstein are slower than a sloth crawling through molasses, and so on.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've learned someone is always better off than you and someone is always worse off than you, so be thankful and make the best of life. (easier said than done) :D

I agree with this. Ranking past difficulties or tragedies is a stupid, counter-productive process. It isn't really a contest.