User Tag List

123 Last

Default China incline USA decline?

China incline USA decline?

America now has an open society but few Americans have the Critical Thinking skills and intellectual sophistication required to maintain that status. The question becomes: "can a democracy survive in a world where technology is driving change at a very rapid pace?” Darwin informs us that if a species cannot adapt to its changing environment that species will soon become toast.

I suspect that China represents an example of how such a fact plays out. China, an authoritarian form of capitalism, is likely destined to become the dominant power in the 21st century because an authoritarian system can better adapt to a rapidly changing world. America displays a nation unable to quickly adapt to a rapidly changing world.

Karl Popper argues, in his book The Open Society and Its Enemies, that all ideology shares a common characteristic; a belief in infallibility.

The concept Popper illustrates in this book sounds much like the concept of a liberal democracy but his concept is more epistemological than political. It is based upon our imperfect comprehension of reality more than our structure of society. Such infallibility is an impossibility, which leads such ideological practitioners to use force to substantiate their views and such repression brings about a closed society.

Popper proposed that the open society is constructed on the recognition that our comprehension of reality is not perfect—there is realty beyond our comprehension and our will cannot compensate for that lack of comprehension. Even though the will of the power structure can manipulate the opinions of the citizens sooner or later reality will defeat the will. Truth does matter and success will not always override truth—truth being reality.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Are you advocating dictatorship?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

I think everyone who is conscious enough to not be 100% stuck in the paradigm of U.S. might and magic agrees.
    Asian students in general outscore everyone nowadays, basically.
    Obama, too, have realized this, but I don't think that it will have much impact.
    And... The problem, I think, is as much a cultural one as it is about spending more time reading/being in school.

[YOUTUBE="tlIxZgnj21I"]Longer school days[/YOUTUBE]

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    ENFJ

US already spends more time in schools than most Asian countries. It has nothing to do with hours. It has to do with quality. Teachers are not respected.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Are you advocating dictatorship?
    I am, anyway!
    Democracy is a nice little idea, but it is not effective.
    A meritocratic capitalist authoritarian state is simply more effective.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    I am, anyway!
    Treasonous scum!

oh wait.

What I mean is that it would never work in the United States like it does in China. We would be impossible to suppress.

MBTI
    enfp

if u look at silicon valley, there are two structures in place that stifle innovation that wasn't there the previous decade

1) Lawyers - they've raised costs of an IPO significantly through recent legislation so that small innovative firms have more difficulty accessing public capital

2) accountants - they've complicated accounting so that you can't issue options without expensing it. Basically, using the new accounting logic, if a firm can buy back shares, that should be considered a profit when they buy back shares. But its not. So there is a major hypocrisy in not being able to issue options. if you can't issue options, small innovative firms have more difficulty attracting talent.

these two moves by lawyers and accountants wanting to make a power move to make their own professions have more work, is hurting innovation and growth of small companies.

the infrastructure for the US to continue leading innovation is there. but its been polluted and pillaged by other professions so that it can never be the same again.

I am, anyway!

What makes you think China is a meritocracy?
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Treasonous scum!

oh wait.

What I mean is that it would never work in the United States like it does in China. We would be impossible to suppress.
    You'd probably be left alone if you didn't slip so far behind as the middle east did, if some republican jackass decides to pick a fight and lose.

But if the world is no longer run by U.S. oil interests in half a century or so, if the world no longer fears your navies, and if your army is no better than that of China, Russia and India...
    Well. Then you're just another country once again, world power status removed.

MBTI
    ENFJ

You'd probably be left alone if you didn't slip so far behind as the middle east did, if some republican jackass decides to pick a fight and lose.

But if the world is no longer run by U.S. oil interests in half a century or so, if the world no longer fears your navies, and if your army is no better than that of China, Russia and India...
    Well. Then you're just another country once again, world power status removed.
    All I've got to say is, "so"?

There are so many reasons why authoritarian rule would not work:
    1. Too many groups so opposing that the current government is barely enough to sate their needs
    2. No basis in anything that inspires unity. Sure, there's Christianity, but again, forcing that on people is considered a huge no-no by some of the groups above
    3. Too many weapons have been distributed already to people who are not afraid to use them

If anything, fracture and anarchy are more likely than anything resembling China.