User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    YaYa

Coincidentally, just reading this from Tommy Friedman:

President Obamas visit to China this week inevitably invites comparisons between the worlds two leading powers. You know what they say: Britain owned the 19th century, America owned the 20th century, and, its all but certain that China will own the 21st century. Maybe, but Im not ready to cede the 21st century to China just yet.

Why not? It has to do with the fact that we are moving into a hyperintegrated world in which all aspects of production raw materials, design, manufacturing, distribution, fulfillment, financing and branding have become commodities that can be accessed from anywhere by anyone. But there are still two really important things that cant be commoditized. Fortunately, America still has one of them: imagination.

What your citizens imagine now matters more than ever because they can act on their own imaginations farther, faster, deeper and cheaper than ever before as individuals. In such a world, societies that can nurture people with the ability to imagine and spin off new ideas will thrive. The Apple iPod may be made in China, but it was dreamed up in America, and thats where most of the profits go. America with its open, free, no-limits, immigrant-friendly society is still the worlds greatest dream machine.

Yada yada yada............

MBTI
    ENFJ

Yes, the USA has

IMAGINAAAAATION.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

not for long. wait until the chinese start noodleboarding everyone....then you'r precious dreams will be shattered, like a fortune cookie at the bottom of a take-out bag....muahahhaha, muahahahha, muahahahha. haha. imaginATion, yayayyy. Go america(usa)
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Yes, the USA has

IMAGINAAAAATION.
    ahahahahahha
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    YaYa

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Yes, the USA has

IMAGINAAAAATION.
    From wikipedia:

Creator Stephen Hillenburg initally conceived SpongeBob SquarePants in 1984, while he was teaching and studying marine biology at what is now the Orange County Ocean Institute. During his period, Hillenburg became fascinated in animation, and wrote a comic book entitled The Intertidal Zone starring various anthropomorphic forms of sea life, many of which would evolve into SpongBob SquarePants characters. In 1987, Hillenburg left the institute to pursue his dream of becoming an animator. Later on in 1992, Hillenburg began to attend the California Institute of the Arts to study animation, where he made his thesis film entitled Wormholes. In 1993, Hillenburg graduated from the institute, earning a Master of Fine Arts in experimental animation.

China TV audiences are soaking up SpongeBob SquarePants.(Asia's television industry is talking about ...)(Brief article) | Television Asia | Find Articles at BNET

China TV audiences are soaking up SpongeBob SquarePants. Since debuting in China on CCTV kids' channel 14 on January 29th, SpongeBob SquarePants has catapulted to the number position in China across all cartoon programs in just 4 weeks. 35% of Spongebob's audience are aged 4-9 years old, with 24-34 year old viewers following not far behind at 25%. Measuring 11 cities across the country, the top cities tuning into the porous one are Chongqing with an average 11.4 rating, Tianjin with an average rating of 11.4, Chengdu with an average rating of 4.3, Hangzhou with an average rating of 4.7 and Beijing with an average rating of 4.4.

I'll see if I can find some figures on revenue generated.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Things don't work that way, YLJ. Also, if your grandma had balls, she would be your grandpa.

The reason China's energy consumption per capita is lower than that of the US is because 90% of Chinese population are poor peasants who live in huts, eat grass sandwiches, and shit in a ditch... NOT because China has better environmental standards. If you want to see how Chinese govt feels about the environment, try visiting their country. You will start chocking on the smog as soon as the plane lands, and you won't be able to take a single solid shit because all the food and water supply is poisoned. And this with only tiny fraction of China being industrialized... and its growing daily.
    Actually thats not true, we are half-industrialized already. Maybe you confused africa with china?
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

MBTI
    INTJ

I may have gotten a little too gung ho with the percentages.

Anyway, my point is that when it comes to industrialization, China still has a lot of room to grow.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    However, because we are a nation of immigrants, we have unique advantages no other country has. We have unparalleled creativity that comes from diversity. We also have adaptability. Americans will go to any place in the country(arguably the world) or change any skill set they need to get a job or advance. The adaptability that is required for the American Dream is what makes us strong.

That explains why I don't comprehend America. I'm looking for a structure to help me find a job in order to survive, but all I'm getting is a bunch of nonsense about "knowing what I want," and "pushing for it." There's no coherent structure, the whole thing is chaotic and based on people chasing after ridiculous dreams, not knowing what the hell they're doing.

What kind of madmen can survive in such ambiguity? I almost think prison would be better...

I'm not cut out to be an American. I don't know where I belong... but it's somewhere where they've actually got established ways of doing things that aren't so dependent on knowing your own will and fighting hard. It may be a great country, but it's not great for people like me. It's for people who have big dreams, strong wills, loads of ambition, and want freedom above all. That's not me.

I want to find some place where you're allowed to contribute to a system in exchange for the goods needed to survive, and it's not overly difficult to get into a position to contribute to said system. But apparently that's too much to ask.

MBTI
    YaYa

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post

That explains why I don't comprehend America. I'm looking for a structure to help me find a job in order to survive, but all I'm getting is a bunch of nonsense about "knowing what I want," and "pushing for it." There's no coherent structure, the whole thing is chaotic and based on people chasing after ridiculous dreams, not knowing what the hell they're doing.

What kind of madmen can survive in such ambiguity? I almost think prison would be better...

I'm not cut out to be an American. I don't know where I belong... but it's somewhere where they've actually got established ways of doing things that aren't so dependent on knowing your own will and fighting hard. It may be a great country, but it's not great for people like me. It's for people who have big dreams, strong wills, loads of ambition, and want freedom above all. That's not me.

I want to find some place where you're allowed to contribute to a system in exchange for the goods needed to survive, and it's not overly difficult to get into a position to contribute to said system. But apparently that's too much to ask.
    We have that also. You trade your dreams for stability. Self actualization for security.

You can't expect to get an Art degree and become successful without hustling a little. No such thing as stable art jobs, well maybe teachers.

Major in Nursing, Engineering, Accounting. Find a niche.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post
    I'd say the chinese system is not a lot better than americans in selecting the cream of the crop the rule.
    Says the guy with the equivalent of Hitler in his avatar, Mao.