User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Default Ni users, have you ever had an existential crisis?

Ya know, the kind where you think to yourself "Why am I here? I can't really come up with a rationale for the continuation of my existence, so why does my life continue?" Do you feel like you are minutiae on the grand scheme of things? Like the Earth is just a speck of dust in the universe's elaborate lasagna dish, and anything having to do with you or the rest of its inhabitants doesn't ultimately affect the rich, bold flavor...

I was having a conversation with an INTJ friend of mine the other day, and he seemed to exhibit this kind of philosophy. It seems rather depressing to me, and it's not really something that I can analyze too much on my own, as I use microNi, if that. I can, however, begin to fathom it once it's explained to me. Anyway, I'm curious to see if you Ni users empathize with the above in any way.

I don't just mean Ni-dom/aux people either, k?

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I make my ENFP sister's head hurt with my Ni existential (mostly silent) freak-outs. I've explained it to her a thousand times and while she *gets* it, she stills says it's a puzzling thing and pats my head in genuine pity for my Slaughterhouse Five existence.

Ni wants to make filament connections, as the web of a spider, to and between everything. At times, its demands to KNOW and make webs becomes overpowering, and its search for importance (in every sense of the word) becomes rickety and staggers beneath what it perceives to be an impossible reality. Ni doesn't make reality relevant -it makes irreality relevant.

I've had many such discussions with my INTJ friend myself, though I think the inertia of my Fe bails me out into the arena of human contact for the sake of communion where he feels no such compelling force and gets lost to analysis. I feel despair. He feels impossibility.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

I have at least 3 of those a day, no joke. They started when I was four, and haven't let up since. My theories have evolved and matured, until I've reached the point that I'm OK with existing only to comfort and enjoy life with the people around me with the time I have on earth, however long or brief. That's a good feeling.
    I think I think more than you think I think.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post

Ni wants to make filament connections, as the web of a spider, to and between everything. At times, its demands to KNOW and make webs becomes overpowering, and its search for importance (in every sense of the word) becomes rickety and staggers beneath what it perceives to be an impossible reality. Ni doesn't make reality relevant -it makes irreality relevant.
    Your whole post was glorious, btw.

But referring to the above, does your (perhaps overly hopeful) desire to attach metaphysical importance to things weigh you down? Are you typically able to attribute importance to an area in which you seek this kind importance? Are you able to mentally find the filaments and/or derive meaning from the filaments that hold the web together?

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

So we're all inherently neurotic, MonkeyGrass? *morbid laughs* I'm in good company.
    Neutral Good
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

So we're all inherently neurotic, MonkeyGrass? *morbid laughs* I'm in good company.
    Oh, yes. Totally.
    I think I think more than you think I think.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    Your whole post was glorious, btw.
    Heh. Thanks. Usually it's called incomprehensible babbling. I'm moving up!

But referring to the above, does your (perhaps overly hopeful) desire to attach metaphysical importance to things weigh you down?
    Yes. It does. And it's a kneejerk compulsion entirely out of my conscious control. I've said to my INFJ father on occasion that it's both our curse and our cure, blessing and bane, that hope springs eternal. Sometimes, the laceration could be avoided if only - if only - hope would die and let the sun lapse and collapse into darkness instead of holding us there forever on the bright edge of hell, feeling the heat and seeing the disaster, but never pulling back from what resurrection dreams could actually BE.

I'm glad I've had my ENFP' sister's Ne to hold me on course and yank me out of my tree by my tail when I won't or CAN'T come back down. I get caught in my own webs and drive for meaning to the point of paralysis. She's idealistic and emotional but in an entirely different way.

Are you typically able to attribute importance to an area in which you seek this kind importance?
    Yes and no. I don't create what isn't there, but if things are going very very badly, I've been known to apply that Hope label to the object/situation without conscious thought. Like nothing is impossible, even when that's clearly not true. I've struggled violently with this very thing lately, and have met with limited success. Again, it helps to have others around me who are nothing like me to help bail water while I right my ship.

Frankly, Ne seems way more practical and practicable. Ni - there's many debates about its usefulness. It rides its unicorn to work.

Are you able to mentally find the filaments and/or derive meaning from the filaments that hold the web together?
    Yes. It's much like staring at a tree and deciding which branches have yielded the most fruit. In bad times, it's like a rabbit warren and you're attached to the frantic rabbit as it runs further and further into turns you can never hope to count to find your way back. (My sister flushes me back out with a mind hose. *laughs*)
    Neutral Good
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Frankly, Ne seems way more practical and practicable. Ni - there's many debates about its usefulness. It rides its unicorn to work.
    Well, at least most Ni users reach their offices. Us Ne-doms mount our unicorns, travel halfway down the path, and end up making a wrong turn somewhere, only to find some kind of stimulus that opens up a carton of tasty creative juices (regardless of how useful or useless this creativity might be). Ultimately, we end up either late for our meeting or just don't manage to show up at all.

Anywho, your whole post was very good. Thank you for the vivid analysis. I really hope you don't let your thoughts get to you too much though. Just remember that life can be plenty meaningful by just having fun and doing what you enjoy. It doesn't have to be much more complicated than that, imho.

Glycerine

Little flare-ups every few weeks. "Am doing the right thing w/ my life?" "What happens if I screw up now?" "How much will it impact my future?" "Is this what I really want out of life?" It's a constant tug of war between taking immediate action and being paralyzed by uncertainty and indecisiveness. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground for me in this department.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    Ya know, the kind where you think to yourself "Why am I here? I can't really come up with a rationale for the continuation of my existence, so why does my life continue?" Do you feel like you are minutiae on the grand scheme of things? Like the Earth is just a speck of dust in the universe's elaborate lasagna dish, and anything having to do with you or the rest of its inhabitants doesn't ultimately affect the rich, bold flavor...
    Oh yes, I constantly have "Ni freak-outs"(to borrow PinkPiranha's term). In fact Pink seems to have covered this rather well. And yes like her, I need a Ne companion to snap me out of it often.