User Tag List

First 3456 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

*plays A Mighty Fortress Is Our God for Peguy...*
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

plays A Mighty Fortress Is Our God for Peguy...
    I'm of the opinion that its not OUR God, its EVERYONE's God.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I'm of the opinion that its not OUR God, its EVERYONE's God.
    that would require a seance, as I beleive that Mr Luther has been dead for a good while
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    *plays A Mighty Fortress Is Our God for Peguy...*
    [youtube="wiRpUtVByxU"]A Mighty Fortress Is Our God [/youtube]

Ironically you can find this in many Catholic hymn books these days.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

that would require a seance, as I beleive that Mr Luther has been dead for a good while
    Lol.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I feel nerdy admitting that I giggled outloud a bit a while back when it was referred to as the Lutheran fight song on Prarie Home Companion

Though I was rather amused by the Unitarian version of Onward Christian Soldiers on the same program

"onward stalwart persons
    fighting for a cause
    marching down to Washington
    to change our nation's laws"

yeah... I had a staunchly catholic ex who threw out a new hymnal that had A Mighty Fortress Is Our God in it, referring to it as "heathen music"

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I feel nerdy admitting that I giggled outloud a bit a while back when it was referred to as the Lutheran fight song on Prarie Home Companion

Though I was rather amused by the Unitarian version of Onward Christian Soldiers on the same program

"onward stalwart persons
    fighting for a cause
    marching down to Washington
    to change our nation's laws"

yeah... I had a staunchly catholic ex who threw out a new hymnal that had A Mighty Fortress Is Our God in it, referring to it as "heathen music"

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

How did this turn into a Luther bashing thread?
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EIE

I was just chatting with my dad about this topic a while back because he was growling about how the local minister in the church that my mother drags him to every sunday is a complete raving lunatic and I wanted to know exactly how raving and lunatical (probably not a word, but perfect for my needs here!)

The dude really does seem to be nuts and have a wish to spread his own crazy, misogynistic and intolerant views to anyone who's willing to subject themselves to his sermons on a weekly basis. Topics of discussion in sermons include, but are not limited to-

*women should submit to thier husbands wishes, and that Paul says that women who don't have kids won't go to heaven
    *the Catholic church endorses torture, but protestant religions have never done so
    *premarital sex is a one way ticket to hell
    *Buddhists worship buddha and the god worshiped by jews and muslims is quite different from that of christianity
    *Catholics aren't christians
    *Obama is the antichrist
    *social justice programs are against what Jesus taught, and those who engage in liberation theology and social assistance programs are influenced by satan's creeping influence to turn everyone into secular humanists

The man is clearly demented, but from what I've heard from asking around in that county his message isn't all that unique. It makes me kind of wonder- is this strand of Contemporary Christianity all that common (apparently it has a cousin in Australia I guess!) and how does ANYONE think that the bible could be the basis of these beleifs?!

Wow I actually have never experienced anything that extreme at all. The only time of heard of anything that extreme was some church in America that protest against homosexuality. And some american church that came over an protested in Melbourne saying that the bushfires we had that killed people where God's punishment for our legislations on abortion.

Yeah, that's all pretty full on.

When I refer to the conservative Christians I've met I don't exactly mean anything that intense. Its more just like the way they understand Jesus and politics - there are quite a few similarities of course in the understanding of Jesus, but its like we then simultaneously hold to certain political ideology and it just doesnt seem to all fit together, on either side.

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Bronson, since you're operating from a Protestant perspective, this might interest you concerning the political implications of Karl Barth's theology.

Thanks man that review was pretty interesting.
    (Also, random note, (not trying to "hijack" my own thread haha) but has this concept that WWI was a result of the Enlightenment, and all the came with it, been speculated outside of theological circles?)

My experience here in Aus of Church and political stance has kind of been that most Christians vote Liberal (our main free-market, centre right conservative party), and less vote Labor, which is our original centre left, now also centre right party. And any keen leftys boycott institutionalised church and keep their beliefs pure an 'spiritual'.
    There's also this whole thing about the Emerging Church in America, and all the conventional, Right-ish churchies in Aus are all suspicious of it, but I don't really know much about it...

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by bronson View Post
    (Also, random note, (not trying to "hijack" my own thread haha) but has this concept that WWI was a result of the Enlightenment, and all the came with it, been speculated outside of theological circles?)
    Yes it's been dealt with in many historical and philosophical studies as well.