User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Burqa

Default Burqa

Yesterday as I was having lunch and reading the, "Australian", newspaper there was a woman in a full burqa at the next table trying to eat her lunch under the watchful eye of her husband.

It was pitiful as her face was fully covered with the burqa and she was trying to push food up under the burqa.

I am usually happy and gregarious at lunchtime and I normally speak to the people at the next table but I have learnt it is extremely unwelcome for me to address a muslim women, particularly in the presence of her husband. When I have tried to talk to the woman, I have been warned off by the husband in no uncertain terms and his tone of voice and body language have suggested violence would follow if I persisted.

I have learnt that the couple at the next table were here as graduate students in Engineering, in particular the husband, so they were quite well educated.

So I wasn't so surprised to see this video on Youtube -

YouTube - cerab´s story 3sat

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I have been warned off by the husband in no uncertain terms and his tone of voice and body language have suggested violence would follow if I persisted.
    Can you speak further to this point?

How did you distinguish this conclusion?

MBTI
    INFP

Why go right away for conversation with the woman? Why not start a conversation with the husband and then, once he'd warmed up to you a bit, include the wife? Or were you only interested in conversing with his wife? And if so, why?

Oh and why tell us the name of the paper? Were you bragging a little, given that it's considered a relatively highbrow aussie rag? Or were you just fleshing out the scene in odd and conspicuous detail?

*feels like he's taking this anecdote too seriously*

MBTI
    ISFJ

You know you are dealing with fundamentalists when they always refuse to explain their "convictions".

This was the kind of thing that made me want to be a politician when I was young. What can the common man do to put a stop to this madness? There's only one thing that sickens me more than injustice and malice and that is socially acceptable injustice and malice.

But violence breeds violence. I wonder if there is a way to reform this world without being equally extreme...

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Why go right away for conversation with the woman? Why not start a conversation with the husband and then, once he'd warmed up to you a bit, include the wife? Or were you only interested in conversing with his wife? And if so, why?
    For two years I had coffee and conversation with muslim graduate student from Iran. And I quite reasonably thought we were friends. But one day outside the University I met him and his wife by accident and sat down for our usual coffee and a chat. But he refused to have coffee with me and when I spoke to his wife out of politeness, he warned me off. And his tone and body language made it plain that he would have none of it.

This was at a normal, sunny coffee shop in Canberra but I was chilled.

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Oh and why tell us the name of the paper? Were you bragging a little, given that it's considered a relatively highbrow aussie rag? Or were you just fleshing out the scene in odd and conspicuous detail?
    Yes, everyday I have coffee and read the, "Australian", and talk to those around me. It is a pleasant and sociable way for me to start the day.

And I am surprised you call the, "Australian", highbrow. If I want highbrow I go to the University. I would have thought the, "Australian", was middlebrow.

MBTI
    INFP

And I am surprised you call the, "Australian", highbrow. If I want highbrow I go to the University. I would have thought the, "Australian", was middlebrow.
    I said "relatively". I'm sure you've seen the alternatives getting around.

MBTI
    NICE

DreiSat is on a similar level to our Daily Mail and using its documentary for anything is a bit lame - particularly for a reader of the auspicious Austalian. A bit like a Telegraph reader quoting the Sun.

The documentary had more fallacies than you could shake a stick at, but composition, false analogy and generalisation loom particularly large.

This type of reportage continually confuses ethnicity, religion & culture into one scary image. It's cheap and grubby stuff, as if commenting on an Irish navvy beating up his wife were in some way connected to the evil of Catholicism.

I seemed to remember a Catholic Chapel in my hometown years ago where the women regularly cover their hair in a ritualistic manner.

One religion is as absurd as the other. Reportage like this rubbish isn't helpful to anyone.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    DreiSat is on a similar level to our Daily Mail and using its documentary for anything is a bit lame - particularly for a reader of the auspicious Austalian. A bit like a Telegraph reader quoting the Sun.

The documentary had more fallacies than you could shake a stick at, but composition, false analogy and generalisation loom particularly large.

This type of reportage continually confuses ethnicity, religion & culture into one scary image. It's cheap and grubby stuff, as if commenting on an Irish navvy beating up his wife were in some way connected to the evil of Catholicism.

I seemed to remember a Catholic Chapel in my hometown years ago where the women regularly cover their hair in a ritualistic manner.

One religion is as absurd as the other. Reportage like this rubbish isn't helpful to anyone.
    Oh, for sure. It's like Holy Inquisition VS Catholicism. The fact is that back in the middle ages the Holy Inquisition's sphere of influence was BIG. These documentaries are demagogic. But you can't argue against facts and statistics. Demagogy is a problem, but one needs to center on the issue. Islam is not the enemy. But people who stone women are.

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post

Yes, I know nothing about DreiSat so I take your advice.