User Tag List

First 12

All animals fear the unknown.

For fear is the marker of the unknown.

So we discover the unknown through fear.

And as there is no courage without fear, fear gives us a double dividend - courage and discovery - two for the price of one.

Some fear me because they don't understand me. For I roar like a lion and make the leaves tremble. I am the King of the Beasts. "Please, please", they say, "Don't be beastly to me".

MBTI
    STP

Do we fear more what we dont understand or what we know is gonna happen?

That makes me wonder what if we know whats going to happen, but dont understand what drives it? I think this is a huge factor in fear, when we dont understand what drives an action yet it keeps happening. At some point you start to find the instances it doesnt happen, the rules so to say and religiously stick to them out of fear.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Circle View Post
    Why do you think we fear what we don't understand?

Rationally speaking, isn't what is unknown neither more or less likely to be harmful to us?

That's assuming there are two completely different sets of things in the world, things that harm us and things that dont.

The truth is, though, that humans are incredibly good at acclimating to an unsafe situation, making it safer. Things that start unsafe become much more safe after just a tiny bit of experience. So things that are novel ARE more likely to be dangerous than things that are known.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    That's assuming there are two completely different sets of things in the world, things that harm us and things that dont.

The truth is, though, that humans are incredibly good at acclimating to an unsafe situation, making it safer. Things that start unsafe become much more safe after just a tiny bit of experience. So things that are novel ARE more likely to be dangerous than things that are known.
    But fear itself causes some people to not acclimate, but avoid. Fear should drive caution, not avoidance.

But fear is not always from dangerous things. Just things we may percieve as dangerous. Some people fear roller coasters, but not driving and you are more likely to get hurt driving.

Fear is in our heads, while it is a natural instinct it can be overcome like everything in life. Acclimation is from doing not learning though. Safety is from learning. Being cautious is a combination of the 2 and requires both action and knowledge.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Normal caution is a result of survival traits.

MBTI
    INTj

It makes sense from an evolutionary psychology perspective. In the cave man days, the probability that the unknown will lead to your demise was much higher than it providing you with long lasting safety. Therefore, the chance of survival is enhanced by fearing the unknown.