User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 125

  1. #41
    it's a nuclear device antireconciler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    Intj
    Enneagram
    5w4 so
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalStreetfighter View Post
    Science and religion will always be at odds.
    If religious concepts are reified then yes, but this is not necessarily so. Just as little should poetry be interpreted literally and as much is lost in the attempt.
    ~ a n t i r e c o n c i l e r
    What is death, dies.
    What is life, lives.

  2. #42
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Why don't we start a "Gravity vs. Magical Angels Pushing Everything Down" thread?

    I'm certain it'll generate some stimulating intellectual debate.

    lol @ thread
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  3. #43
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Why don't we start a "Gravity vs. Magical Angels Pushing Everything Down" thread?

    I'm certain it'll generate some stimulating intellectual debate.

    lol @ thread
    Stop embarrasing yourself.

  4. #44
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    I agree with Peguy.

  5. #45

    Default

    Don't know... it would be quite amusing if I didn't believe in gravity angels.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

  6. #46
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by antireconciler View Post
    If religious concepts are reified then yes, but this is not necessarily so. Just as little should poetry be interpreted literally and as much is lost in the attempt.
    Yes, I think many don't understand poetry because they try to interpret it literally, just as they don't understand the Bible because they try to interpret it literally.

  7. #47

    Default

    Anyone who tries to interpret poetry literally and defines the author by it is {insert insult here}. It's as bad as Greenwich Mean Time! Poetry like most art captures a moment, a feeling, a concept, beauty.

    My mother is studying more theology at the moment and I edit her essays. At a higher level it is quite an interesting subject. There is very little explaining things by higher powers, more looking at interactions between groups at the time, the author's intentions in the midst of these interactions, certain style choices the author has chosen because of the times he is in (we all conform to certain things in our society), edits and translations from the original text (some translations are corrected to older texts so are more legit than the original language version of the bible). It is really the analysing of an old text in the context of the known history. If anything it sheds light on the bible and gives understanding of what it is and why it is. Very different to a Sunday sermon that uses it to preech.

    I was a sceptic about it before reading, but Theology in the proper sense is a history course which studies the development of Jewish culture and the Christian faith. They look at it and try to understand it in the same way any scientist would. The amount of information and history behind each chapter of the bible is so vast and complicated that you could never take it as a perfect text. The meaning of certain verses differs so much throughout history, and between versions even. It is what it is: the authoritative book on the Jewish history and Christian faith. In a way it is a wonder of the ancient world. It can be dismissed as a simple brain wash religious text, or it can be seen as a goldmine of history and understanding. Seeing authors, their motives, the rise and fall of empires. Some chapters are motivators for the people, some are stories that ran from generation to generation. Religion has been a part of humanity throughout history. It plays a big part in our history. But here are scientists who love to say f**k the great scholars of yesteryear because they are associated with religion. IMO they are as blind and idiotic as those who take the bible literally. Of course guys like Schweitzer are redundant. They were in religion... In a way, science versus religion is the blind versus the blind for the prize of rightness. It is a debate that exists because neither side seeks any understanding.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

  8. #48
    Senior Member Shimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    SEXY
    Posts
    1,868

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    You're wrong. Copernicus' work was not condemned by the Church as long as it was taught as theory. In fact he dedicated one of his first editions to Pope Leo X. Galileo also received official support from the pope(who was also a personal friend) for his scientific studies. And the Earth being the centre of the universe was never a Church "dogma", but was the common argument of astronomical theories of the time.
    You are both wrong and right there. It is true that copernicus wasn't condemned, and that he was allowed to teach his theory. The theory wasn't very provable at that point and it never gained a wide spread interest among scholars. Basically it wasn't a thread and therefore the church didn't bother banning it.

    Now, when Galileo picked up on this theory and actually made scientific observations supporting it, the idea started to spread. Church not happy, Galileo got accused of heresy and convicted to house arrest for the rest of his life. It wasn't until 1758 that the church allowed books defending the heliocentric model. Copernicus' and Galileo's books weren't even allowed until 1835. And it wasn't until Pope John Paul II that the the church vindicated Galilee and apologized.

    Galileo affair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    I told the story the way I did to keep my post a bit shorter and more readable.
    (removed)

  9. #49
    Geolectric teslashock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Posts
    1,690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Why don't we start a "Gravity vs. Magical Angels Pushing Everything Down" thread?

    I'm certain it'll generate some stimulating intellectual debate.

    lol @ thread
    Everyone knows that the angels are pulling, not pushing. Geeze, get your facts straight before you attempt to pursue these types of intellectual debates.

  10. #50
    Senior Member Gewitter27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILI
    Posts
    651

    Default

    Pastafarianism, the mock religion, holds the theory of unintelligent design, stating that their god (The Flying Spaghetti Monster) was drunk when he created the universe. This theory should be taken into account.

    I 96% N 93% T 75% P 63% 5w4 sp/sx/so ILI
    Ti>Ne>Te>Ni>Si>Fi>Se>Fe
    I'm interested in what you percieve me to be. Johari/Nohari

Similar Threads

  1. Evolution vs. Intelligent Design/Creationism
    By Anentropic IxTx in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 161
    Last Post: 11-10-2013, 11:56 PM
  2. Dennis Quaid's take on Doc Holliday vs. Val Kilmer's
    By DoctorCroupy#9 in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-03-2013, 08:18 PM
  3. [E9] Eights, What's Your Take On This?
    By bechimo in forum Enneatypes
    Replies: 110
    Last Post: 12-29-2010, 02:24 AM
  4. A new/old take on temperament theory: Has anyone heard of this?
    By Bethy in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-26-2007, 09:17 PM
  5. Ken Miller on Intelligent Design
    By darlets in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-08-2007, 05:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO