User Tag List

First 210111213 Last

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    And then, you might wonder why the British cuisine is considered to be amongst the worst (if not the worst) in the world.... :rolli:

Despite our efforts to educate them, our northern neighbours never acquired any true notion of taste (or else they wouldn't have invented the infamous roast Lamb with Mint sauce)...
    I had a chat with an old pal some time ago. He is a chef in a restaurant in West London. Apparently, the English were fairly inventive pre-Reformation. The ennui that is English cuisine stems from the conflict between Puritans & the Anglican Church.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    Apparently, the English were fairly inventive pre-Reformation. The ennui that is English cuisine stems from the conflict between Puritans & the Anglican Church.
    Yeah that makes sense. Reject the one truth faith and your cuisine turns to shit.

MBTI
    NICE

"Shit". I say, Pegay.

I think that compliment is highly understated. Profunctory shit would ring a truer chord.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

By the way, my dear Bananatrombones, isn't it the countess Bathory on your new avatar?
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    "Shit". I say, Pegay.

I think that compliment is highly understated. Profunctory shit would ring a truer chord.
    As usual, your attempts at humour equals

MBTI
    NICE

By the way, my dear Bananatrombones, isn't it the countess Bathory on your new avatar?
    Well spotted, that Frenchy!

At least we have some culture in this dead parrot thread.

How are you today, Pegay?

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Yeah that makes sense. Reject the one truth faith and your cuisine turns to shit.
    Well...

If you can explain through theology the common trend between British, Belgian and Israeli cuisines (the only contestants for the most tasteless cuisine ever invented), I'm all ears.

You know, there's a curious French theory that explain that if the Walloons never were accepted as true French (despite being native French speakers), it's because they have adopted the waterzooi. Have you ever been able to withstand the sight of a waterzooi plate? Frankly, my twisted mind can't think of something more depressing and... liquid.

While on the other hand, if Alsatians are French (despite being native German speakers), it's because they invented the Munster cheese.
    On the other bank of the Rhine, it is almost considered as a chemical weapon directly aimed at them.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    NICE

While on the other hand, if Alsatians are French (despite being native German speakers), it's because they invented the Munster cheese.
    On the other bank of the Rhine, it is almost considered as a chemical weapon directly aimed at them.
    Well, there's nothing like a big slice of cheese to take the taste away. With a glass of Port. And a cigar.

In England, the best part of the meal is when it's over.

Sniffles

Well...

If you can explain through theology the common trend between British, Belgian and Israeli cuisines (the only contestants for the most tasteless cuisine ever invented), I'm all ears.

Well I suspect it's just part of the larger contrast often seen between Catholic and Protestant cultures; in that Catholic cultures usually tend to have a more festive, sensual, one could even say "erotic" sense of piety that's usually lacking in many Protestant cultures. English historian Christopher Dawson summarised this contrast by stating: "The bourgeois culture has the mechanical rhythm of a clock, the Baroque the musical rhythm of a fugue or a sonata."

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    "The bourgeois culture has the mechanical rhythm of a clock, the Baroque the musical rhythm of a fugue or a sonata."
    And a country that has had a bourgeois revolution marches to the mechanical rhythm of a clock, whereas countries loyal to the rule of law dance to the musical rhythm of a fugue or a sonata.