• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is your peace?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would be interested to hear what constitutes pure peace for different people. If you could paint the picture of your most ideal experience of peace, what would it look like? Is it a concrete person or place? Is it a memory? A future hope? Is it a certain mindset? Is it the way things resolve in your life and the lives of the people you love?

To achieve perfect peace what must you let go of and what must you hold on to?

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I would be interested to hear what constitutes pure peace for different people. If you could paint the picture of your most ideal experience of peace, what would it look like? Is it a concrete person or place? Is it a memory? A future hope? Is it a certain mindset? Is it the way things resolve in your life and the lives of the people you love?

To achieve perfect peace what must you let go of and what must you hold on to?
Peace is the optimal level of activity of the cortex.

Bushranger

MBTI Type
INTP
I'll give you a memory.
As a child I once went on holiday in a rented boat. A small cabin cruiser.
I remember waking up one morning in my small room at the front of the vessel and looking out of the small window at the silent sunrise over the river.

Comfortable.
Isolated (i.e. private).
Quiet.
Beautiful (stimulating).

When both my inner and outer worlds hold these properties it is like a timeless pocket of contentment.

I love the sunrise.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
a peaceful situation would be being on top of a mountain playing guitar overlooking the world. I'd need my woman by my side, of course.

What is peace? Thats an interesting question. I guess its a simaultaneous sense of anticipation, accomplishment/acheivement, hope, and not being worried about any kind of harm. i don't know though, I don't think I've ever really been there much...

I guess one situation of peace I've known is the march break ski trips I've taken with my cousins. We would ski in the day... the skiing was fun, and we all are great friends so we had excellent conversations on the lift, too. We'd go back to their cottage (which was right on the hill, you could ski in and out) and we'd just relax and play computer games and talk and stuff, and it was a lot of fun. A lot of laughter. It was always beautiful out (I love the winter) and there were never really any troubles to think of. Some of my best memories are from those trips. Sadly, they no longer have access to that cottage, so we are going to have to plan different trips (although I'm sure they will also be amazing). Its really sad, I love that cottage and I'll really miss it, and I'll love the times that were there. Its kind of liek the song by Bob Dylan, Bob Dylan's Dream.

While riding on a train goin' west,
I fell asleep for to take my rest.
I dreamed a dream that made me sad,
Concerning myself and the first few friends I had.

With half-damp eyes I stared to the room
Where my friends and I spent many an afternoon,
Where we together weathered many a storm,
Laughin' and singin' till the early hours of the morn.

By the old wooden stove where our hats was hung,
Our words were told, our songs were sung,
Where we longed for nothin' and were quite satisfied
Talkin' and a-jokin' about the world outside.

With haunted hearts through the heat and cold,
We never thought we could ever get old.
We thought we could sit forever in fun
But our chances really was a million to one.

As easy it was to tell black from white,
It was all that easy to tell wrong from right.
And our choices were few and the thought never hit
That the one road we traveled would ever shatter and split.

How many a year has passed and gone,
And many a gamble has been lost and won,
And many a road taken by many a friend,
And each one I've never seen again.

I wish, I wish, I wish in vain,
That we could sit simply in that room again.
Ten thousand dollars at the drop of a hat,
I'd give it all gladly if our lives could be like that.

Kind of like that, except isntead of never seeing them, I'll just see them as I did before, but in a different place...

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
To achieve peace I wish to put myself in a situation where people will expect the least from me and I will be the most free to do what I want. I think that the only thing which keeps me from achieving peace is a lack of money. It is what forces me to live a life of obligations.

My peace... I'd like to be anonymously rich and buy an island where I could escape with my gf. Then I'd just sunbathe all day, read, play guitar, start projects for the fun of it, etc. I would work, but do so only when I want and in my way.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
For me, peace is the time of decay and growth; a state of being. The old thoughts, anxieties, pains, torments, worries, and fears shrivel up and die. At the same time, glorious new insight and perception shed a sharp light in my mind. I see peace as a short break from life that allows for change and rebirth.

If I could paint a picture then it would be of a recently burned forest, with fresh new plants emerging from the blackened soil. Peace is always perfect and it finds me, I never find it. It comes after the chaos, where I shed the overgrowth and rot that burdens my mind, body, and soul. It comes only when I need it and I emerge from it as something remade and stronger than before.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Well, it would be freedom from material worry. Not having to worry about money, shelter, health, or scheduling concerns as constraints on what I can do. Basically, to have no illness, a perfectly controlled environment, and wealth. I would be free to study and contemplate whatever I wanted to, whenever I wanted to. I would even be able to test whatever ideas I came up with.

shen

MBTI Type
ENFP
nice question toonia:yes: for me peace is not having anything to worry(nagging thoughts) about. and when i'm not grounded my heads like a washing machine, so i take deep breaths in to my tummy and visualize i'm in ripe ploughing fields with the golden sun of late summer..... these days though, my roots are deep'nin and the wash has slowed down:)

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I don't think I've ever experienced peace. Is it possible that some people aren't wired to be able to experience it?

ygolo

My termites win
I haven't experienced it but in brief periods.

It happens when I completely loose myself in an activity. Unfortunately, deadlines, and expectations keep this sort of thing from happening too often.

Peace is not having any expectations (mine or others) on my mind.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Peace would be being able to switch my brain off and get comfy. That's about all it requires with me. If I've strayed further from peace than those two things then I'm either at work (or some other stress filled place temporarily) or something is going wrong and I'm not too far off sorting it out (or retreating to somewhere with more inner peace).

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I would say in a deep sleep is the only place I can find peace then.

I don't know if that's sad or not.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Peace is when I am no longer self-aware but just Being.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Being outside and doing something without other people- I'm a big fan of solo outdoors sports! I'm mostly at peace whenever I can lose myself in an activity though- like cooking- it's a good way to shut off the brain!

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Peace is when I am no longer self-aware but just Being.

Yep.

It isn't necessarily correlated with my external environment, it's where my mind is internally. If my mind can just turn 'off' and is a blank slate where I'm just there in that moment, 'merging' with the world around me, and accepting it as is, I'm at peace.

I most easily achieve this out in nature, usually by myself just looking at and BEING in the world around me. I greatly appreciate beauty, and after a lengthy hike out in nature, I'm guaranteed to feel much more grounded and happy and calm...and just let go of the 'little things' that can consume me (because everything is little in the big picture ;-)

I can also achieve it when I travel to new places and just soak up everything around me.

And I can achieve it at home simply listening to music, sipping some tea, with my cat sitting in my lap, and candles lit.....

Hmm...I'm thinking I'm most at peace when my Se is fully embraced... :)

But my hands down 'peaceful place' - place I think about when I'm most crabby and unhappy and dissatisfied - is up in the mountains, by myself. :)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It isn't necessarily correlated with my external environment, it's where my mind is internally. If my mind can just turn 'off' and is a blank slate where I'm just there in that moment, 'merging' with the world around me, and accepting it as is, I'm at peace.

Of course, the horrible conundrum for me is that, if I am not being self-aware, I'm not really conscious of being at peace... but once I become self-conscious and am thinking about how I'm at peace, I stop being at peace...! :)

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:yes: Hehe...yes, that is a problem. But for me, if I'm thoroughly at peace, it's like I'm just there, and nothing can take me out of that state. I'll somehow be aware of the peaceful feeling without overthinking it, I guess...it's like a quick 'Hey, I'm relaxed' feeling, and I don't allow myself to go any farther. ;-) It's like my mental thought just tippy-toes into the surface, and then I walk away. But if I poke around too much, to 'test' whether I'm really at peace....then that's going to far and it'll be ruined. You have to be careful with these things. :)

Actually this just happened to me this past weekend - the entire weekend, I was ZEN. I love it when that happens. I told my friend it's like my mind was a mountain pool without any ripples, and there was absolutely nothing external to me that caused any ripples. I was aware I was calm and ZEN the entire two days....and boy, I just rolled around in that feeling, it was so awesome.

But yeah..unfortunately it's gone now. I'm back to the usual 'brain is on' state. :)

Oh - and another good way to STAY at peace is to not participate in internet forums and constantly question how you act and why you act that way. hehe.;)

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Nothing complicated really.

Peace for me would be to feel no imposed obligations and no worries about anyone I love.