User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your peace?

darkened dreams Array labyrinthine's Avatar
    4 sx/sp
    INFp None

Default What is your peace?

I would be interested to hear what constitutes pure peace for different people. If you could paint the picture of your most ideal experience of peace, what would it look like? Is it a concrete person or place? Is it a memory? A future hope? Is it a certain mindset? Is it the way things resolve in your life and the lives of the people you love?

To achieve perfect peace what must you let go of and what must you hold on to?
    The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas. H.G. WELLS
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. FEYNMAN

If this is monkey pee, you're on your own.SCULLY

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    I would be interested to hear what constitutes pure peace for different people. If you could paint the picture of your most ideal experience of peace, what would it look like? Is it a concrete person or place? Is it a memory? A future hope? Is it a certain mindset? Is it the way things resolve in your life and the lives of the people you love?

To achieve perfect peace what must you let go of and what must you hold on to?
    Peace is the optimal level of activity of the cortex.

I'll give you a memory.
    As a child I once went on holiday in a rented boat. A small cabin cruiser.
    I remember waking up one morning in my small room at the front of the vessel and looking out of the small window at the silent sunrise over the river.

Isolated (i.e. private).
    Beautiful (stimulating).

When both my inner and outer worlds hold these properties it is like a timeless pocket of contentment.

I love the sunrise.
    I'll get you my pretty, and your little hermit crab too!

a peaceful situation would be being on top of a mountain playing guitar overlooking the world. I'd need my woman by my side, of course.

What is peace? Thats an interesting question. I guess its a simaultaneous sense of anticipation, accomplishment/acheivement, hope, and not being worried about any kind of harm. i don't know though, I don't think I've ever really been there much...

I guess one situation of peace I've known is the march break ski trips I've taken with my cousins. We would ski in the day... the skiing was fun, and we all are great friends so we had excellent conversations on the lift, too. We'd go back to their cottage (which was right on the hill, you could ski in and out) and we'd just relax and play computer games and talk and stuff, and it was a lot of fun. A lot of laughter. It was always beautiful out (I love the winter) and there were never really any troubles to think of. Some of my best memories are from those trips. Sadly, they no longer have access to that cottage, so we are going to have to plan different trips (although I'm sure they will also be amazing). Its really sad, I love that cottage and I'll really miss it, and I'll love the times that were there. Its kind of liek the song by Bob Dylan, Bob Dylan's Dream.

While riding on a train goin' west,
    I fell asleep for to take my rest.
    I dreamed a dream that made me sad,
    Concerning myself and the first few friends I had.

With half-damp eyes I stared to the room
    Where my friends and I spent many an afternoon,
    Where we together weathered many a storm,
    Laughin' and singin' till the early hours of the morn.

By the old wooden stove where our hats was hung,
    Our words were told, our songs were sung,
    Where we longed for nothin' and were quite satisfied
    Talkin' and a-jokin' about the world outside.

With haunted hearts through the heat and cold,
    We never thought we could ever get old.
    We thought we could sit forever in fun
    But our chances really was a million to one.

As easy it was to tell black from white,
    It was all that easy to tell wrong from right.
    And our choices were few and the thought never hit
    That the one road we traveled would ever shatter and split.

How many a year has passed and gone,
    And many a gamble has been lost and won,
    And many a road taken by many a friend,
    And each one I've never seen again.

I wish, I wish, I wish in vain,
    That we could sit simply in that room again.
    Ten thousand dollars at the drop of a hat,
    I'd give it all gladly if our lives could be like that.

Kind of like that, except isntead of never seeing them, I'll just see them as I did before, but in a different place...

Senior Member Array

To achieve peace I wish to put myself in a situation where people will expect the least from me and I will be the most free to do what I want. I think that the only thing which keeps me from achieving peace is a lack of money. It is what forces me to live a life of obligations.

My peace... I'd like to be anonymously rich and buy an island where I could escape with my gf. Then I'd just sunbathe all day, read, play guitar, start projects for the fun of it, etc. I would work, but do so only when I want and in my way.

Furry Critter with Claws Array Kiddo's Avatar

For me, peace is the time of decay and growth; a state of being. The old thoughts, anxieties, pains, torments, worries, and fears shrivel up and die. At the same time, glorious new insight and perception shed a sharp light in my mind. I see peace as a short break from life that allows for change and rebirth.

If I could paint a picture then it would be of a recently burned forest, with fresh new plants emerging from the blackened soil. Peace is always perfect and it finds me, I never find it. It comes after the chaos, where I shed the overgrowth and rot that burdens my mind, body, and soul. It comes only when I need it and I emerge from it as something remade and stronger than before.

Protocol Droid Array Athenian200's Avatar

Well, it would be freedom from material worry. Not having to worry about money, shelter, health, or scheduling concerns as constraints on what I can do. Basically, to have no illness, a perfectly controlled environment, and wealth. I would be free to study and contemplate whatever I wanted to, whenever I wanted to. I would even be able to test whatever ideas I came up with.

Senior Member Array

nice question toonia for me peace is not having anything to worry(nagging thoughts) about. and when i'm not grounded my heads like a washing machine, so i take deep breaths in to my tummy and visualize i'm in ripe ploughing fields with the golden sun of late summer..... these days though, my roots are deep'nin and the wash has slowed down

I don't think I've ever experienced peace. Is it possible that some people aren't wired to be able to experience it?

I haven't experienced it but in brief periods.

It happens when I completely loose myself in an activity. Unfortunately, deadlines, and expectations keep this sort of thing from happening too often.

Peace is not having any expectations (mine or others) on my mind.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield