MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Default Share your spiritual beliefs

Do you?

Tell me why you believe. Or, conversely, why you choose to disbelieve.

I'm not starting this thread to fertilize a battleground. Spirituality is an intimate experience. It is not concerned with empirical logic beyond what works for the individual. To that end, I'm not looking to debate.

Only to share.

So, tell me: What do you believe?

Edit: Just to be clear, the intent of this thread is to allow folks to weigh in on their personal spiritual ideology; it's not an opportunity for religious debate. There are countless other threads available in which that is a possibility.
    Last edited by Night; 11-02-2009 at 04:26 PM.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

I'm not sure how I would classify myself.

Raised Catholic. Rejected Catholicism in college, when it became clear to me the ease at which a critical mind could poke holes in traditional doctrine -- on many levels, but primarily in terms of exclusivity in spiritual 'salvation' and for its painful mediocrity in response to relevant contemporary social issues. Seemed counter-intuitive that a religious premise cornerstoned on the teachings of 'Christ' could summarily reject and condemn on the basis of non-adherence to (what I considered) self-important/outdated bureaucratic code.

So, over time, Catholicism withered. Became dinosauric; something to transcend, rather than as a means to offer transcendence.

Which brings me here. Now. I've since come to realize the contradictory nature of my judgment. Doesn't seem fair to ignore the value of an entire philosophy because a few people got it wrong in practice. Or to exercise the same judgment in character that distanced me from Catholicism in the first place.

So, I continue to struggle. My faith in the likelihood of a creator deity/overpower notwithstanding, I wrestle daily with my personal investment in Catholicism, as an ideal unto itself.

MBTI
    INFP

Protestant, practicing. ---And a huge respect for Flannery O'Connor (Catholic) - I would recommend "The Habit of Being" a collection of her correspondence published after she died. One of my favorite books.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

I believe that if I put the first fish back in the water it will bode well for the rest of that days fishing.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I choose to neither believe nor disbelieve. Unfortunately, there isn't a term in English that can describe that kind of philosophy accurately.

If I get a sign, I get a sign, if I don't, I don't.

The bottom line is: I think we're all ignorant and should stop pretending we aren't.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

MBTI
    free
    Enneagram
    nope

Born again christian.

Began believing in a spiritual style from a mostly atheistic background(used to be well read on arguing against christians) due to knowing it would make me a better person(humble self, less inflated ego, etc...)
    Moved into christian belief with enough presentation of pleasant arguments against evolution, apologetics untowards a young earth, and enough info presented of Jesus Christ.
    Current issue I'm dealing with: Emphasis on rules and such, and giving my life to christ.
    Everyone is a case study.

MBTI
    INTP

Agnostic atheist. Science, specifically quantum physics and the relativity theory, can explain how the world works down to pretty fundamental levels, hence no god is necessary for explaining anything.

Of course, anything could in theory be the cause beyond this. The apparent randomness in quantum physics could in fact be the leeway of a thinking, self-concious entity... but that idea is cut in pieces by Occam's Razor.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Do you?

Tell me why you believe. Or, conversely, why you choose to disbelieve.

I'm not starting this thread to fertilize a battleground. Spirituality is an intimate experience. It is not concerned with empirical logic beyond what works for the individual. To that end, I'm not looking to debate.

Only to share.

So, tell me: What do you believe?
    Need I say more with all the life around
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

MBTI
    INTx

I do not.

I was raised in a christian environment, and baptized. Since I could read, my favorite question as a child was "why?" Books could explain why, they would tell me why the sky is blue, why the moon doesn't fall on us, why animals eat one another. When they did not know, they were honest, and provided best estimations.

Sunday school was another place entirely. "Why?" was not permitted. Everything was known, but nothing was explained, or questioned. But nothing quite fit, instructors would contradict themselves, or accept the impossible, as if it were normal. It lacked clarity and felt somewhat surreal, that everyone saw and accepted such a view of the world. Growing up I explored more, but the fundamental flaw (as I saw it) remained. All asserted things which could not be seen or proven, yet were to be accepted.

Currently I only have faith in understanding. There may be a great divine presence of some sort, but it certainly does not exist in any form we as humans worship today, filtered through so much time, language, and interpretation. The world I've been given and the senses to explore it would be such a waste if I did not use them to their fullest.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Agnostic Jew.

If anything's out there, I don't have enough evidence to make assertions.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge