User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

MBTI
    INTx

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    For me personally, it was the opposite.

I grew up within Eastern theology. I found it to be a lot more metaphysical/intuitive/less defined than the Abrahamic religions (which is more didactic/there are rules to follow). Certain forms of Judaism and Christianity blurs this dichotomy though (and, sufism [of Islam] in the past). The 'mysticism' aspect.

However, the more I learned about religion(s), in order to see if any really resonated, the more I found every one to have *something* that didn't quite justify. Irritated the Ti.

So, when I reshaped how I viewed the world (cutting ties to thoughts based in theology), I found a liberation that's hard to describe. A peace with myself, because contradictions lifted...and there was humility in accepting that there's 'gaps' in what I know (don't know), and the excitement to contemplate what those gaps could be. Given that all I had around me, to contemplate, was the mere existence of this natural universe and all things within it. More appreciation for the here and now. My place within it; the grander scheme. I am not special, and there's something special about that thought.

My sense of purpose in the world became more focused and I started to view my actions not by some pre-determined dictate but by the end-result it would achieve not only for me, but any domino effect(s) that is spurred by it, as far as I can conceive/anticipate.

Although, I can somewhat (want) relate to the communal feeling being part of a community incites. E.g., community formed by common religion.

I guess I never felt that 'loss' as being a 'minority' in Canada, we have community centers (that do have religious ceremonies but were more about a bonded commonality/belonging to a group given our culture). Replace religion with culture. I was set.
    Yeah, there is a sort of liberty in seeing the clarity without religion.

That community bit is what kinda irks me though. I don't feel any sort of attachment to the people around me. I'm in Canada too, and I guess I don't feel pressured really, like there aren't swarms of churchy people running about, but I would still like to feel less detached from my living environment.

MBTI
    ESTP

I do believe in God to some extent. That is because I don't want to fully acknowledge the fact that there is no higher entity to coordinate this world.

However, the way religion deals with the existence of this God is absurd and makes me think more and more that it doesn't exist,

As one of my friends recently put it, the sure way to become an atheist is to read the Bible.

That's pretty much a summary of why on one hand, I believe in God and on the other, I don't.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

I should believe in something, well we'll just say I believe in universal energy that manifests in the current stream of conciseness we are traveling in accordance to how we wish to interpret that energy into the manifestation of spiritual, religious, irreligious, other resources of existence. Each idea is like a fragmented line of a bit of reality that is outsourced.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Quote Originally Posted by une_autre View Post
    I do believe in God to some extent. That is because I don't want to fully acknowledge the fact that there is no higher entity to coordinate this world.

However, the way religion deals with the existence of this God is absurd and makes me think more and more that it doesn't exist,

As one of my friends recently put it, the sure way to become an atheist is to read the Bible.

That's pretty much a summary of why on one hand, I believe in God and on the other, I don't.
    I understand the reasoning...

The bible's definition of god is one of contradictions; he's a god of war but hates violence and death, he's a god encouraging rape yet abhors coveting another's wife, he's a god that is fine with murder yet commands 'thou shalt not kill'.

Furthermore, his description is that of a greedy, self centered, egotistical brat with no show of power to back it up, and little common sense, and for one who's supposedly 'infinite' in his knowledge and understanding, as well as seeing past, present and future, he's still made some pretty ridiculous mistakes, like damning all the snakes because satan once was wearing a snake mask that fooled god, and never reversed the damnation despite learning otherwise, or how he screwed up the thing with noah then was like oh yeaaaaah maybe I shouldn't've done that... and invented rainbows to say 'durr I was dum sory'. Jesus got pissed off at a fig tree for not having any fruit on it because it was out of season as well.

There's just too many situations where god's either easily tricked, doesn't use common sense, or shows he's nowheres near either godlike at all, or doesn't deserve praise in the first place.

This's just why I refuse to believe in the christian definition of god. Because if that's the god I have to look up to as 'better than me', I think I might just give up and call it quits on religion entirely. The described god in the bible is pretty much an asshole with nothing to even give him an excuse to do so. We weren't even created because 'god loved us, or even for a good reason, according to the bible... we were created because his angels, who were his previous yes-men worshippers, realized he sucked and killed each other off until there weren't enough left to praise him anymore; the only reason humans were made is he was running low on slaves, and he made sure we weren't powerful enough to be a threat unlike the last attempt. We aren't the first born of god, nor the first choice; we're second rate failures and he's already tried to kill us all off once for sucking. And even then, the whole flood thing didn't show godly power at all; couldn't he just zap all the people dead without killing all the animals too? Seems kind of a waste to have so much collateral damage... dude yeu're god! >.<

I dunno, I just think that the bible's description of god is a quick way to make people either give up on god, or the mere concept of a god if they get too depressed from it.

If god is supposed to be the definition of conscience infinity, then yeu're probably better off making yeur own personal description. Since that's whot was done all through the bible, multiple god descriptions based on the culture at the time. If I can't see god being 'better' than me, why would I worship him? If he's "perfect", then why is he even more flawed than I? It just doesn't match up with their description, so it's better to make my own based on the concepts, not the quotes.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

i cannot decide on this: altho if god does exist and truly created us in "its" image and cares for us and yada ya, then god is far from perfect, god would more be similar to the greek gods in that god would be flawed and very humanlike. Or if god truly is all powerful all knowing "being" so to say, who created EVERYTHING and knows everything that has been and ever will be, then i quite doubt God would care about an insignificant blue planet filled with selfish and self destructive beings.

the strongest belief towards god that i have is that The universe and everything in it is GOD, meaning god has no person of its own, everything is god and yet nothing is god.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Edit: Just to be clear, the intent of this thread is to allow folks to weigh in on their personal spiritual ideology; it's not an opportunity for religious debate. There are countless other threads available in which that is a possibility.
    Moved some more posts to the Spillover thread.

Please read the OP before posting.

Quote Originally Posted by une_autre View Post
    So true. But they invented Bible guides so now people read it in a controlled manner and interpret in ways that will not make them sceptics. For me sitting through a sermon is enough to encourage atheism. If they ever heard my internal monologue during a church sermon, I'd probably be banned from ever entering a church again.

oh, and the answer. I'm agnostic. Probably atheist in belief, but I think religion or spirituality serves a purpose in giving life significance, so I wouldn't want to dismiss it completely.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE

My beliefs are so nuanced it would take forever to explain.

But basically I'm agnostic, leaning towards being a Christian.

I'M OUTTA HERE.

IT'S BEEN FUN.

TAKE CARE.

PEACE OUT!!!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Anyway, the reason I don't believe in "God," is because I find it too limiting a concept for my idea of a supreme being. I'm agnostic, and what I essentially believe is that many religions are based on people who saw this Supreme Being, and it tried to communicate with them, but had to wear different masks and manifest in slightly different ways in order to communicate with all of them. Also, the message has likely been distorted over time with language, creating further drift and people translating it based on assumptions that fit with their present norms. If you look carefully at any religion, you'll notice that there's a distinct parellel between that religion, and the cultures it came from and passed through during its evolution.

So, what I essentially believe is that the common threads you see in religions are far more important than the details people quibble over. They all seem to agree that there's a force that created the universe, and rewards altruistic and good behavior, and that there's an afterlife. There also seems to be idea that asceticism and self-discipline is a higher road than materialism and self-indulgence (though there's disagreement on whether materialism and self-indulgence are actually evil or wrong). These threads appear in several religions, and I doubt it it's a coincidence.

My attitude is essentially this... if you can only see the truth in one perspective on something that is supposedly infinite, you have a very small mind.
    Er, pretty much this, but I wouldn't say I'm agnostic at all. I don't understand how you can call yourself agnostic and believe this way. So your conception of God isn't necessarily a monotheistic personagethat's fine. But God is surely out there, in some form, probably every form. From our perspective, God is literally everything. In higher dimensions (planes of existence), He (I say He in the relative sense) may likely be a cohesive entity.
    "If you would convince a man that he does wrong, do right. But do not care to convince him. Men will believe what they see. Let them see."
    Thoreau

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Do you?

Tell me why you believe. Or, conversely, why you choose to disbelieve.

I'm not starting this thread to fertilize a battleground. Spirituality is an intimate experience. It is not concerned with empirical logic beyond what works for the individual. To that end, I'm not looking to debate.

Only to share.

So, tell me: What do you believe?
    I'm a Protestant Christian, whose theology could be described as "moderate".