• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Q: Do genes have a purpose?

Snow Turtle

Whenever I'm reading a thread regarding human nature, there's always one person that says the purpose of humans is to pro-create. This clearly comes from the idea that one function of our genes is to expand but does it's function/activity mean that it's definitely its purpose. Does it even make sense to assume that its purpose is humans purpose, purely on the basis that it is the parts?

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
The genes or chromosomes (which are made up of DNA) one has do have a specific purpose. It knows where to go in the body and how to create the cell, tissue, organ etc. it is meant to form. I don't think however that its purpose is a purely a human purpose because every living being on the planet uses DNA in reproduction, so since everything uses the same four letter code to create 'them', it's no more ours than it is say an ants.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
Genes are mindless and do not have intentions or purposes. For practical purposes we can talk as if they do though. It is the the genes that are suited for survival and reproduction that spread, and because of this, they gain adaptive value and the organism the illusion of design.

As a metaphor we talk about selfish genes. Genes spread and propagate if they can, through whatever means work. For the gene to spread, what the gene does, has to be good for the differential survival of that gene. Hence the genes of organisms act is if they were selfish, only thinking about its own propagation, because it's the only thing determining how successful a gene is. Evolution through natural selection works at the level of the gene. This is the gene-centered view of evolution.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Whenever I'm reading a thread regarding human nature, there's always one person that says the purpose of humans is to pro-create. This clearly comes from the idea that one function of our genes is to expand but does it's function/activity mean that it's definitely its purpose. Does it even make sense to assume that its purpose is humans purpose, purely on the basis that it is the parts?
Life is not the agent.
It is a come by.
If it were the agent it would have a purpose.
Life is what is left.
The agent is what has left.

A transit is a pass.
The transitive is the agent.
The intransitive is the object passed.

To leave is to quit.
To live is to be left behind.

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
Life is not the agent.
It is a come by.
If it were the agent it would have a purpose.
Life is what is left.
The agent is what has left.

A transit is a pass.
The transitive is the agent.
The intransitive is the object passed.

To leave is to quit.
To live is to be left behind.

I love that. Sorry I have nothing more substantial to add :blush:.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
and In our next show : Is gravity after YOU ? :ninja:

(or should we blame that extra burger)