1231151 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    :run

Default for those against abortion

This is going to sound really bad. But I have a hard time with people who think abortion is ever permissible. I have a hard time understanding them, and seeing them as anyone other than a killer. They might as well say "I think you should kill anyone in your way in line at WalMart. Sort of.

People 100 years ago said "eh well, everyone's racist." And looking at it now, that's poor morality.

One explanation I've heard is -- "Well morality is at the heart, and its just a matter of getting to the head." But I dunno...

If you don't agree, don't worry about it. Just don't post. I just want to understand this all better.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

The last line is a little confusing. You mean you're looking for people to explain why they believe abortion might be okay in some circumstances? (Just clarifying.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP

I think we should be able to abort people until the age of 6.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think you believe this because you're ignorant of the distinction between a fetus and a child.

You believe that fetus = child, which is really an unreasonable perspective if you've researched the matter thoroughly. Please do more research.

Sorry.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

People have been killing children for population control and related issues since the dawn of human kind. The fact they do it in a medical procedure now shows how civilized we have become. Sure its arbitrary and its killing but its not illegal under the U.S. Constitution. In other words the states don't even have the right to make it illegal.

Nobody is going to change their mind unless some better alternatives become available which both sides can agree upon. Only debating the issue with people who agree with you seems pointless in an open forum (as it is debating the issue with people who don't agree with you on this issue). Sure killing babies in the womb is fucked, but their isn't anything one can do about it, and are you gonna take care of all the babies nobody wants? I didn't think so.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    In other words the states don't even have the right to make it illegal.
    The constitution describes the fundamental rights of the people and the government. Nothing about its purpose or function prohibits states from passing laws on areas not covered by the constitution, except for where those laws would conflict with the rights specifically granted by the constitution.

I don't care what the subject is, that's just factually incorrect.

Nobody is going to change their mind unless some better alternatives become available which both sides can agree upon. Only debating the issue with people who agree with you seems pointless in an open forum (as it is debating the issue with people who don't agree with you on this issue). Sure killing babies in the womb is fucked, but their isn't anything one can do about it, and are you gonna take care of all the babies nobody wants? I didn't think so.
    The OP doesn't realize, apparently, that even though he asks for a good discussion, he wont get it. Those who disagree will yell, and scream, and berate, and throw personal attacks, and throw out baseless information. Hot button issue. Enjoy the show.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by run View Post
    This is going to sound really bad. But I have a hard time with people who think abortion is ever permissible. I have a hard time understanding them, and seeing them as anyone other than a killer. They might as well say "I think you should kill anyone in your way in line at WalMart. Sort of.
    That's just taking it to too much of an extreme.

And I'm going to agree with Athenian here.

Also, do you realize that with abortion being illegal in places, that girls who have made mistakes (or otherwise errors out of people's control) in the sexual realm basically have their lives being ruined?

I don't see why it matters... I view a fetus as not really a "person", I view a baby as a person. Killing babies is wrong.

But I'm a guy. I don't think that I can have a real stance on this because I cannot get pregnant. The best choice is to have it legal everywhere, and if someone is morally opposed to it, well, don't get an abortion. Don't force your beliefs on others, it's bullshit. That's the only reasonable solution, and it lets everyone practice all of their beliefs.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Once the fetus starts forming a brain, then I think it's too far to abort it without it really being the murder of a human life, because the formation of the brain is the formation of the means of consciousness, thus a sentient life form. Yes, humans have been killing humans since the species was born. However, we LIKE to THINK that we have come to a different place in human history where we can control our primal and destructive instincts, and hold life and free will in great reverence. If what people want to believe about themselves is to have compliance with reality, they should reconsider their stance on abortion.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    The constitution describes the fundamental rights of the people and the government. Nothing about its purpose or function prohibits states from passing laws on areas not covered by the constitution, except for where those laws would conflict with the rights specifically granted by the constitution.

I don't care what the subject is, that's just factually incorrect.

The OP doesn't realize, apparently, that even though he asks for a good discussion, he wont get it. Those who disagree will yell, and scream, and berate, and throw personal attacks, and throw out baseless information. Hot button issue. Enjoy the show.
    Risen I think you are missing the point. The applicability of the U.S. Constitution is governed by the jurists on the U.S. Supreme Court and ever since Roe v. Wade (1973) they have upheld the right for the mother to choose to abort under the 1st Amendment implicit right to privacy.
    Your Republican party have conned the Right to Lifers by saying they would appoint jurists to overrule Roe v. Wade. yet they appointed jurists such as OConnor, Kennedy, Souter and Stevens. At least the Democrats didn't try to con their constituents that way. Technically Roe could allow limited abortions of the fetus that reaches the stage of viability, but that just isn't going to happen either* (if it was going to happen it would have happened George Ws term but apparently he was too busy killing children in Iraq and Afghanistan to care (*Besides the Partial Birth Abortion Ban which is essentially insignificant).
    Absent the U.S. Supreme Court overturning or severely distinguishing states rights under Roe v. Wade and its successors the states have no say. Absent an amendment to the U.S. Constitution the people have no say.
    Talk about it all you want but these discussions go nowhere. Everyone just feels like crap at the end of the day with BS rationalizations, arbitrary distinctions and euphemisms from both sides.

If it was up to me they would fit every girl with an IUD when she hit puberty until she got married (or got a permanent domestic partner) and the partner agreed to having a child and jointly taking care of it at least until the kid was 18. (or reversible vasectomy for men if they find a reliable procedure they could reverse) But this isnt gonna happen either.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    ENFJ

The baby's got to have initiative to get out of the womb before it can be considered a person.

I mean everyone wants to stay in the womb, but to do so is weakness.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge