User Tag List

First 13536162636465 Last

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

I'm saying that I'm against using it for the wrong reasons. If you don't want a kid, let someone who can't have biological children have it.

As for it being easy to judge something, I lost a potential nephew because my sister allowed her husband to talk her into aborting. It should be done only in situations that it is called for.

So before you jump me, maybe you should understand the reason why.
    Anything that you haven't fought for isn't going to be appreciated. It takes blood, sweat, and a large amount of tears before you appreciate what you have.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by WildCard View Post
    I'm saying that I'm against using it for the wrong reasons. If you don't want a kid, let someone who can't have biological children have it.

As for it being easy to judge something, I lost a potential nephew because my sister allowed her husband to talk her into aborting. It should be done only in situations that it is called for.

So before you jump me, maybe you should understand the reason why.
    I agree with this...although personally, I don't care if other people get an abortion. It's their choice, if they didn't want to send it to adoption, or didn't know how to, or thought they could never raise a child and that its life would end up far worse if it lived, then so be it. You're the one carrying it, I'm not.

Although personally, I would never have an abortion unless I had to (complications and such)

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by WildCard View Post
    I'm saying that I'm against using it for the wrong reasons.
    I think most people are, it's just that the reasons can be very different for different people. Not everyone would give a child up for adoption, for example, even if the only alternative is abortion. I would rather not bring a child into the world than bring one into a bad environment. The idea is not whether you think it's good or bad, it's whether you think your opinion trumps everyone else's.

It's an interesting (sort of) debate but fruitless, since neither side ever changes their mind.
    -end of thread-

Thumbs down Emotional Blackmail and Biology

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    It's an interesting (sort of) debate but fruitless, since neither side ever changes their mind.
    I changed my mind after studying biology and learning that many, many more spontaneous abortions occur naturally than are induced.

And after a while the cry, "Abortion is murder", started to look like emotional blackmail.

And it is repulsive emotional blackmail backed by wilful ignorance of biology.

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I changed my mind after studying biology and learning that many, many more spontaneous abortions occur naturally than are induced.

And after a while the cry, "Abortion is murder", started to look like emotional blackmail.

I changed my mind after studying biology and learning that many, many more deaths during sleep occur naturally than are induced.

And after a while the cry, "Suffocating somebody while he or she is sleeping is murder", started to look like emotional blackmail.

Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Those who have been damaged by emotional blackmail become damaging themselves.

This is emotionally painful to face so we try all kinds of fantastic rationalisations to hide it.

But they don't realise how absurd they have become.

But defending child sexual abuse or abortion as murder or the infallibility of the Pope, leads one ineluctably into absurdity.
    Unfortunately for your argument, the state of my mental integrity and health has less than nothing to do with the pro-choice vs pro-life debate. Funny how pedophilia and the Pope made an appearance in this thread too...

The point is that you must take intent into consideration in such matters like abortion.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

Banned
    MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by run View Post
    This is going to sound really bad. But I have a hard time with people who think abortion is ever permissible. I have a hard time understanding them, and seeing them as anyone other than a killer. They might as well say "I think you should kill anyone in your way in line at WalMart. Sort of.

People 100 years ago said "eh well, everyone's racist." And looking at it now, that's poor morality.

One explanation I've heard is -- "Well morality is at the heart, and its just a matter of getting to the head." But I dunno...

If you don't agree, don't worry about it. Just don't post. I just want to understand this all better.
    1.) Because rape is bad.

2.) Because teenage accident pregnancy is bad.

3.) Because in 1900 we were 1.5 billion people on the planet, and in the last 100 years the numbers have (steadily) increased up to 7.0 billion people (if it continues we will have 12.0 billion people before year 2050). And to think, there used to be over 100 thousand Cheetah's on the planet in 1900, but today is less than 7000 (6000 in captivity/fenced), because we just keep on breeding (without purpose, of course) like a virus, until the planet is completely infected by us, wilts, and dies.

People don't have sex without a condom on purpose just to go "Whoopsie, now we'll do abortion," you know that right?

Do you want to put up an international law that says "You cannot have more than one pregnancy?" Because that is what is likely to happen soon.

Everything else in this world is declining in population, just like the world's resources is. Food, trees, plants, animal life, iron, gold, oil. And you want to continue to squirt out "miracle babies" like everything will be alright? I find THAT a sick attitude, not abortion. You're more destructive than I am.

Ps. There's a reason why you cannot remember your own birth.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

There are really two questions here:

1) In which circumstances, if any, is abortion justifiable?

2) Should the above question be decided by the government, or by individuals?

The first is moral, the second is legal. The two spheres overlap often, but not always.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    Unfortunately for your argument, the state of my mental integrity and health has less than nothing to do with the pro-choice vs pro-life debate. Funny how pedophilia and the Pope made an appearance in this thread too...

The point is that you must take intent into consideration in such matters like abortion.
    They say Catholics believe three impossible things before breakfast and no wonder this twists their minds into absurd rationalisations.

And of course Catholics don't know how absurd they sound. And as they try to impress their absurdity on us, they become cranky. And so there is a particular kind of crank called a Catholic crank.

When you try to impress absurdity on others, you become absurd yourself.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

They say Catholics believe three impossible things before breakfast and no wonder this twists their minds into absurd rationalisations.

And of course Catholics don't know how absurd they sound. And as they try to impress their absurdity on us, they become cranky. And so there is a particular kind of crank called a Catholic crank.

When you try to impress absurdity on others, you become absurd yourself.
    Thanks for the evidence you've given, but still this argument proves insufficient to the topic at hand. One must consider intent when making moral judgments.
    Johari Nohari