User Tag List

First 11515960616263 Last

Sniffles

I must say this discussion took a rather weird turn upon being revived.

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

There is always something that sticks in my mind over this.
    It's this delusional undertone of "Oh, humanity is superior, so we mustn't defile conception!" all the while implying "Oh, but we aren't superior enough to accept advancements and the choices obtained through being superior!"
    Where does one draw the line exactly?
    It's hard for me to get a handle on all of this when the majority of people latch on to one thing or another. If someone wants to control the sanctity of life, then focus on how we war, how people are murdered daily in rough neighborhoods, how people starve, how people destroy other life to nourish their own, etc. Contemplate everything or nothing, or accept that the middle grounds are always going to vary.

It shouldn't be ludicrous to desire that the people who want children and the people who don't should use their individual opinion individually.

I'm a strong believer in population control. The debate that a child has the possibility of being the next Mother Teresa or the next Hitler. That there should be a child-bearing survey instigated. That we can/should decide these things as individuals. I'm also a strong believer in respecting those who don't share my opinions, but keep their opinions out of the tupperware and away from my front door.

I'm also commonly for abortion, but i'm not going to tell every broad with a baby bump to get the melon baller and extract the little demon seed. It's just an understanding of what they want vs what i want.
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

Sniffles

I believe I dealt with that theme earlier with this:
    That's the whole point behind having choices and controlling your life, you accept the fact you can control yourself to such an extent and take responsibilities for those choices you make - otherwise you're not fit to be in that situation.

I should also mention that in order to truely appreciate the fact one has the freedom to make choices and control their lives involves a certain appreciation for life as an end in itself. That means concluding that existence is better than non-existence. It doesn't take long to figure out where this leads in terms of discussing abortion.

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...1-post348.html

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Still I think Democrats should get on the front end of the trend and move toward a more pro-life stance. I think with time they are going to find themselves on the right end of most issues, but they could lose a lot of voters if they stay pro-choice. There are a fair amount of people who vote Republican just because of this one issue, and the public is just going to become more pro-life over time.
    Everyone is "pro-life". The difference lies in just whose life we are "pro". Who are we willing to see involuntarily die a preventable death? An unborn fetus? A convict on death row? A child who misses out on critical medical treatment because his family cannot afford it? Innocent Afghans caught in an attack on suspected Taliban?

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Everyone is "pro-life". The difference lies in just whose life we are "pro". Who are we willing to see involuntarily die a preventable death? An unborn fetus? A convict on death row? A child who misses out on critical medical treatment because his family cannot afford it? Innocent Afghans caught in an attack on suspected Taliban?
    Pro-life, in its most common use, is a term used to mean anti-abortion. It can be expanded to other issues but that's beside the point. LL means anti-abortion.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Basically, you're given an undeniable right to life if you're not born yet.

After that, it really depends on who you are, what you've done, which country you live in, what religion you belong to, and whether it's convenient or not to worry about your survival. (If you're a kid living in Iraq, it's sad to see you go, but in order to blow up the bad guys, you're regretfully labeled as collateral damage if you get hurt.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    (If you're a kid living in Iraq, it's sad to see you go, but in order to blow up the bad guys, you're regretfully labeled as collateral damage if you get hurt.)

Check out the Marine COIN field manual for a better understanding of wartime civilians in an insurgency. Although, the COIN doctrine doesn't necessarily reflect individual opinions. But at least we've got a good official policy.

Right about the other things indisputably. Just thought this will enrich perception.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    Pro-life, in its most common use, is a term used to mean anti-abortion. It can be expanded to other issues but that's beside the point. LL means anti-abortion.
    My point exactly. The use of this term is merely an attempt by religious fundamentalists to frame the debate in a way that will make them look good and their opponents evil. This ignores the complexity of the issue. If "pro-life" really means "anti-abortion", then proponents should use the term "anti-abortion". I would then maintain, though, that everyone is "anti-abortion". Even people who want to keep it safe, legal, and accessible tend to view it as at best a last resort, a necessary evil that should be used very sparingly.

The political debate thus boils down to just how much control people want the government to have over human reproduction. The same authority that could be used to prevent abortion could be turned around some day to require it, as in China. It is best to keep government out of this issue entirely, and rely on gentle persuasion and practical assistance to reduce the numbers of elective abortions performed, something almost everyone would view as desirable.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    ...and rely on gentle persuasion and practical assistance to reduce the numbers of elective abortions performed, something almost everyone would view as desirable.
    This raises the interesting question -

Would it be as desirable to reduce the number of spontaneous abortions?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

So, just out of curiosity, would you see a mother as a murderer if she had to have an abortion, for if she didn't she wouldn't live through the last trimester, regardless of whether or not the 'fetus' survived to term?

Quote Originally Posted by run View Post

People 100 years ago said "eh well, everyone's racist." And looking at it now, that's poor morality.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbud8rLejLM"]racizm[/YOUTUBE]