User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Default Why do they keep some commandments and not others?

There are certain things that Christian law has kept from the original 613 Jewish commandments, and certain ones that they want.

There are many commandments that explicitly concern moral rectitude, but also many that do not:

#167. Not to eat blood

#164 Not to eat flesh with milk

#313 Not to make any figures for ornament, even if they are not worshipped

#347 Not to cut oneself or make incisions in one's flesh in grief, like the idolaters

#348 Not to tattoo the body like the idolaters

#360 Not to eat the fruit of a tree for three years from the time it was planted

#367 Not to wear garments made of wool and linen mixed together

#185 That the hired laborer shall be permitted to eat of the produce he is reaping

#106 Not to castrate the male of any species; neither a man, nor a domestic or wild beast, nor a fowl

#101 Not to have intercourse with a woman, in her menstrual period

#82 Not to indulge in familiarities with relatives, such as kissing, embracing, winking, skipping, which may lead to incest

#72 That a bridegroom shall be exempt for a whole year from taking part in any public labor, such as military service, guarding the wall and similar duties(after being married)

#176 Not to take in (business) pledge utensils used in preparing food

(source: Judaism 101)
    Christians have broken many of these commandments.

Did Jesus take the time to revoke all these rules specifically? Can someone explain why some rules that don't have distinct moral value still be considered so important while so many aren't?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Did Jesus take the time to revoke all these rules specifically? Can someone explain why some rules that don't have distinct moral value still be considered so important while so many aren't?
    Most likely, tradition and the worldviews of the people who set up the church. Sad, but true.

They took the Biblical laws that fit their worldview and said, "God said this" to add an element of wrongness to whatever it was, and threw out the ones that didn't fit by pointing out examples in the New Testament where Jesus showed it was okay.

Alternatively, they might have just assumed that any laws Jesus didn't specifically show to no longer apply (he did repeal the meat/dietary ones), still apply.

In fact, most "Christian" celebrations are modified pagan holidays created so that Pagans would convert more easily. If they had to give up their festivals, they probably wouldn't have. Our current idea of Christianity was tailored to appeal to the common mindset of people back when it was first created.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

#167. Not to eat blood

#164 Not to eat flesh with milk

#313 Not to make any figures for ornament, even if they are not worshipped

#347 Not to cut oneself or make incisions in one's flesh in grief, like the idolaters

#348 Not to tattoo the body like the idolaters

#360 Not to eat the fruit of a tree for three years from the time it was planted

#367 Not to wear garments made of wool and linen mixed together

#185 That the hired laborer shall be permitted to eat of the produce he is reaping

#106 Not to castrate the male of any species; neither a man, nor a domestic or wild beast, nor a fowl

#101 Not to have intercourse with a woman, in her menstrual period

#82 Not to indulge in familiarities with relatives, such as kissing, embracing, winking, skipping, which may lead to incest

#72 That a bridegroom shall be exempt for a whole year from taking part in any public labor, such as military service, guarding the wall and similar duties(after being married)

#176 Not to take in (business) pledge utensils used in preparing food

(source: Judaism 101)
    This was God's law, not his commandments. The Ten Commandments God gave Moses replaces the law (Jesus Christ's death on the cross fulfills the law). The Ten Commandments are what Christians are called to keep.

Jesus said...

Matthew 19:17 ...If you would enter life, keep the commandments.

Paul said...

Romans 7:7 What then shall we say? That the law is sin? By no means! Yet if it had not been for the law, I would not have known sin...
    To die would be an awfully big adventure - Peter Pan

INFJ ~ 4w5 sp/sx ~ RLOAI ~ Inclusion e/w=1/0 (Melancholy Compulsive) Control: e/w=0/6 (Supine) Affection: e/w=4/0 (Phlegmatic Melancholy)

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

There are only ten commandments. Those are cultural Jewish law. Read the new testament, it will give you some enlightenment in that department.

Jesus renames the ten commandments and then says the greatest law is love. There is some business about how it's what comes out of a man's mouth - not what he puts into it - that makes a person a sinner.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by lane777 View Post
    This was God's law, not his commandments. The Ten Commandments God gave Moses replaces the old law since Jesus Christ fulfilled the law by dying on the cross. The Ten Commandments are what Christians are called to keep.

Jesus said...

Matthew 19:17 ...If you would enter life, keep the commandments.

Paul said...

Romans 7:7 What then shall we say? That the law is sin? By no means! Yet if it had not been for the law, I would not have known sin...
    Okay, I had a semantics error. They're mitzvah, I know, I don't really know the translation.

If it's only the 10 commandments that a Christian needs to keep, why even bother with any of the 603 others?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Okay, I had a semantics error. They're mitzvah, I know, I don't really know the translation.

If it's only the 10 commandments that a Christian needs to keep, why even bother with any of the 603 others?

INFJ ~ 4w5 sp/sx ~ RLOAI ~ Inclusion e/w=1/0 (Melancholy Compulsive) Control: e/w=0/6 (Supine) Affection: e/w=4/0 (Phlegmatic Melancholy)

MBTI
    ENFJ

Romans 7:7
    Please explain this to me?

I have very very little understanding of Christianity beyond the commercial holidays.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Please explain this to me?

I have very very little understanding of Christianity beyond the commercial holidays.
    Hah, you're too quick. I just edited my previous post. Do you still need further explanation?

MBTI
    ENFJ

Hah, you're too quick. I just edited my previous post. Do you still need further explanation?
    Yes please. I'm kind of slow.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Hmmm...because there are some nut-case sects who like to pick and choose different Jewish laws - like the ones about tattoos and homosexuals - and randomly enforce them.

Beats the hell out of me why they do it. I'm honestly bewildered my damn self.