• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is the American frame of mind?

coberst

What is the American frame of mind?

I would say that a culture consists of the complex of ideas that a group of people hold dear. One can speak of the culture of a small group or of a very large group.

In the United States our culture is determined to a large extent by how we hold "these truths to be self-evident"; we are held together by ideas perhaps more than other societies. Next, religion plays a great role, and in our case it is the mixture of Protestantism, Judaism, and Catholicism. Following this is our infatuation with capitalism; following that is our narcissistic view of our uniqueness and greatness.

Our culture is a general attitude toward our self and toward the world based upon these four ideologies.

To what powers have wo/men given allegiance in order to solve the paradoxes of life? To what or to whom have each of us given our uncritical allegiance? “Into what hero-system do I fit the expression of my talent”? What or whom has become my fetish-god?

It is possible for the adult to choose which power s/he will serve; however, to do so, when the choice is contrary to one that has resulted from the family and community clan, is an extremely unusual and heroic act. “The great tragedy of our lives is that the major question of our existence is never put by us--it is put by personal and social impulses for us.”

Very few of us discover our authentic talent—if it is ever found it is generally found accidentally through plain fate by us in our social milieu as we tap...tap...tap our blind way through life.

From a personal point of view our principal task is to somehow find our way out of the fate that we stumbled into and to grow out of our idol worship and fetishism and to expand our horizons, allegiances, and to drop our mere preoccupations. We need to free our self from the opinions of others.

“Since aggression is a reaction to frustration, by remaining tightly bound to the success of our social world we increase our aggressiveness, life invariable frustrates us.”

Disinterested knowledge is the energy bunny. It generates the energy for exploration and for overcoming some of the inhibitions conscious reason places on the unconscious.

Studying disinterested knowledge is like taking off a month every year to visit a strange new land. Curiosity is reinvigorated and new meaning is created.[/b

Knowledge is like a jigsaw puzzle. We have created many puzzles in coping with reality and when we received a new piece (knowledge) that does not fit our present puzzles we forgetaboutit. However, if through disinterested knowledge we have created new puzzles we might find a place for this new fragment of knowledge to fit; thereby this fragment becomes our new knowledge.

Our mind is constantly working for us and when we do not give it a worthwhile project, i.e. a new puzzle, it will just waste away in boredom or worry.

In America one might best see this attitude manifested by this frame of mind “I’ve Upped My Income; Now Up Yours”; a manifestation of this attitude may be seen in concrete form by the fact that 45 million citizens are without proper health care.

Do you think that the attitude “I’ve Upped My Income, Now Up Yours” is an American frame of mind?

Quotes from The Birth and Death of Meaning: An Interdisciplinary Perspective on the Problem of Man by Ernest Becker

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Learning to read without a teacher is demanding work but we all must pass through that stage

Climb down off that high horse. If you're so high and mighty that people cant understand what you're writing, THATS YOUR FAULT. You are communicating POORLY. No matter how great you think you're message is, if no one can understand it, you're failing.

Tip #1: your post looks like a wall of text. Format some paragraphs and you'll probably get a lot more reads.

Tip #2: if you're going to post about stuff, maybe offer some explanations, comments or questions. Simply posting chapters of undigested word salad doesn't really offer much to a forum. The point of a forum is to interact :newwink:

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Do you think that the attitude “I’ve Upped My Income, Now Up Yours” is an American frame of mind?[/b]

Yes, definitely. Success in a society with such ideals can make people arrogantly assume things will go as smoothly for anyone who tries.

O

Oberon

There, see? People seem to think that everyone who is successful had an easy time of it. I have never known that to be the case.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The American Frame of Mind?

OK, here it is in short.

More now.
Me, me, me.
I'll pay for it later.
Not in my backyard, but great idea otherwise.
A pill for every ill.
Double speak.
No one remembers who won the silver medal.

How's that?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

OK, here it is in short.

More now.
Me, me, me.
I'll pay for it later.
A pill for every ill.
Double speak.

How's that?

Sounds good to me. :nice: Better than coberst's, actually.

O

Oberon

OK, here it is in short.

More now.
Me, me, me.
I'll pay for it later.
A pill for every ill.
Double speak.

How's that?

I think that's the kind of superficial, mass-market impression one might get from watching a lot of television. I think there's another, older American outlook that you can still find if you dig a little. You'll find in it ideas like the following:

• You deserve nothing more than what you have earned... and nothing less.
  • There are things worth dying for, and worth living for.
  • Sometimes doing your best isn't enough; you have to do that which is required.
  • Self-esteem proceeds naturally from achievement, and achievement from character. Self-esteem is an effect, not a cause.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think that's the kind of superficial, mass-market impression one might get from watching a lot of television.

I disagree. I meant it to be more of a reflection of the modern, average American outlook on life. There's alot of variation for sure, but on average, we are a nation of self gratifying, impatient people who have deep belief in the wisdom and fortitude of our forefathers but limited capacity to implement such virtue into our society as a whole.

I think there's another, older American outlook that you can still find if you dig a little. You'll find in it ideas like the following:

• You deserve nothing more than what you have earned... and nothing less.
  • There are things worth dying for, and worth living for.
  • Sometimes doing your best isn't enough; you have to do that which is required.
  • Self-esteem proceeds naturally from achievement, and achievement from character. Self-esteem is an effect, not a cause.

Yes, that is a good listing of "classic" American virture of yore, but such thinking is not unique to this continent's history, it is wisdom that has been considered by other cultures as well, by wise people of any nation, right? Those ideals are great, I have no issue with them, I just don't think they are reflective of our modern U.S. society, they are reflective of a small list of good people.

O

Oberon

I disagree. I meant it to be more of a reflection of the modern, average American outlook on life. There's alot of variation for sure, but on average, we are a nation of self gratifying, impatient people who have deep belief in the wisdom and fortitude of our forefathers but limited capacity to implement such virtue into our society as a whole.

Yes, that is a good listing of "classic" American virture of yore, but such thinking is not unique to this continent's history, it is wisdom that has been considered by other cultures as well, by wise people of any nation, right? Those ideals are great, I have no issue with them, I just don't think they are reflective of our modern U.S. society, they are reflective of a small list of good people.

And I think you need to turn off the cable.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
And I think you need to turn off the cable.

Funny how irrelevant your comment above is, as I haven't watched television with any regularity whatsoever for over 15 years.

This nation as a whole wouldn't be in such a debaucle if a majority of its citizens upheld the classical virtues you described earlier.

At this point I don't know what exactly you are getting at, and am fine with agreeing to disagree with you.

I truly wish that the masses of this nation exhibited a uniform adherence to a strong code of persosal integrity as you described, but the very diversity that makes this nation great also diminishes the commonalities held by all citizens, making your viewpoint implausible from what I can tell. Yes we all have DNA, and are mammals, but once you get into education, moral/spititual preferences, common virtues, etc. the list that all/most are on gets shorter and shorter and shorter, right?

Not trying to be a wanker, just letting you know where I'm coming from... :coffee:

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I truly wish that the masses of this nation exhibited a uniform adherence to a strong code of persosal integrity as you described, but the very diversity that makes this nation great also diminishes the commonalities held by all citizens, making your viewpoint implausible from what I can tell. Yes we all have DNA, and are mammals, but once you get into education, moral/spititual preferences, common virtues, etc. the list that all/most are on gets shorter and shorter and shorter, right?

Not trying to be a wanker, just letting you know where I'm coming from... :coffee:

I don't see how this argument couldn't be held true for your list, too.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't see how this argument couldn't be held true for your list, too.

Well then the argument can hold true for any list can't it?

There is no "American Frame of Mind" that a majority will agree upon.

But the concept is of utility to some, and that is fine.

Please continue to pontificate. :violin:

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
American mindset: "What do you mean we the micowave is broke, so where we gonna go eat" :)

We want things handed to us preprepared and cooked.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I will go ahead and be blunt.

Is there anything we have to recommend us?

You know. Besides the missiles.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Whatever happened to American Optimism?

And I thought the American frame of mind was "take care of your own because ain't no one gonna do it for you."

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Whatever happened to American Optimism?

And I thought the American frame of mind was "take care of your own because ain't no one gonna do it for you."

American optimism has taken several kicks to the testicles for many decades now. The S&L crisi, the dot com bust, the Enron/Arthur Anderson/Tyco/etc. scandals, the War in Iraq, Halliburton, Blackwater, and now most recently the collapse of the sub-prime market and a severe recession. I'm pretty sure most that have been around for awhile realize how much graft and policy boondoggling occurs at the highest echelons of our society furthering the decimation of the middle class.

The people of this country might take care of their own at the local level, but nationally the nation is divided. Why is it that if some false cataclysm, like communism in Vietnam, or Saddam Hussein manufacturing WMDs is capable of galvanize the masses to unite against a common enemy, but as a people we are unable to tackle issues at home like health care, education, and the inevitable downfall of the social security system?