First 2345 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    That's right, Oberon was hung up on virtue.
    Pardon me.
    Now that I know "it" is "there" I'm OK with everything.

Don't get me wrong, I love my country.

In the many states and cities I have lived, I can honestly say that the people I would characterize as "good" out number the "bad" by a wide margin.

Typical teachings in the education/upbringing of many Americans include:

(1) Get good grades and you can get a good job
    (2) Any natively born American citizen can become the President.
    (3) Work hard and good things will come your way.
    (4) Take the high road.
    (5) The value of individuality in our society.

The list above is hardly exhaustive, just illustrative. However...

I know plenty of people with impeccable GPAs and a crap salary/benefits package.

There is no way that anyone can convince me at this point in my life that any U.S. born citizen can become President, not unless they happen to go to Yale Law and join the Skull & Bones Society.

For too long I worked my ass off and saw the fruit of my labors distributed to cronies instead of a good raise/bonus for me.

I've taken the high road time and time again during my life, but that hasn't stopped others from playing dirty and causing grief to others.

Regarding individuality, it seems that it is fine and good at the societal level as long as a person is part of the ruling 51%.

Does this mean I will stop doing my best, doing the right thing, and being myself?

Of course not.

I'm just not going to walk through life expecting things to go rosey because I am following some prescribed ideology, working my ass off, and being a good boy.

Work hard, be good, and look out for your fellow man, but don't ever forget to watch your back, and don't get so comfortable that you don't question the way things are going. There are alot of folks in powerful positions that do not practive what they preach, and expect us all to be OK with them exploiting the masses for their own benefit.
    Yeah...good post. American values are also present here in Italy, in many ways, but people are a bit more aware of your (really good) objections, it seems, probably simply because we've dealt with them for more centuires. But yeah I can see how your post totally applies to many, many situation in the western world, the 5 expectations you speak about sometimes seem to have been thought as the best way to exploit people by making them work hard for a supposed future reward.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Yeah...good post. American values are also present here in Italy, in many ways, but people are a bit more aware of your (really good) objections, it seems, probably simply because we've dealt with them for more centuires. But yeah I can see how your post totally applies to many, many situation in the western world, the 5 expectations you speak about sometimes seem to have been thought as the best way to exploit people by making them work hard for a supposed future reward.
    Hey, thanks FDG.

Europeans definitley have more experience living in a corrupt industrialized world.

Exploitation of good will among men and the Calvinist work ethic are cornerstones of many modern nations.

Hopefully we all figure out a better way to live, sooner than later.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    That's right, Oberon was hung up on virtue.
    Pardon me.
    I'm afraid I'll have to pardon you also, for reading more into my post than I intended.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I'm afraid I'll have to pardon you also, for reading more into my post than I intended.
    I accept your pardon.

Sometimes I take things a bit too literally, but I'm half German and sometimes guilty of being direct/low context.

At any rate, there's no hard feelings on my side. We just ended up in a long and complicated conversation.

Cheers,

-Halla

MBTI
    I

I honestly don't think there is 'one' American frame of mind. The views of the people of the country are so varied and different from each other.

MBTI
    YaYa

Nothing of importance can come from outside the U.S.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    I honestly don't think there is 'one' American frame of mind. The views of the people of the country are so varied and different from each other.
    It's much easier if you divide America into at least four parts -- your Mid Atlantic, your West Coast, your South, and everything else. If you can find something those four have in common that is not so in common with Canada, then that would be an American frame of mind.

I know people keep saying to stop comparing America to third world countries but look at other countries that are very large. They often have a lot of ethnic and separatist tension. America doesn't have that -- of course there are still hate crimes but they're between individuals and don't often manifest into movements, at least anymore. What's up with this.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    I

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    It's much easier if you divide America into at least four parts -- your Mid Atlantic, your West Coast, your South, and everything else. If you can find something those four have in common that is not so in common with Canada, then that would be an American frame of mind.
    I guarantee you those regions will agree on very little.

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I know people keep saying to stop comparing America to third world countries but look at other countries that are very large. They often have a lot of ethnic and separatist tension. America doesn't have that -- of course there are still hate crimes but they're between individuals and don't often manifest into movements, at least anymore. What's up with this.
    This is mainly because America is a large country with so many nationalities and cultures, and the variety of views that the people have also contribute to this.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

The Quarterly Profit justifies the means...
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    I guarantee you those regions will agree on very little.

This is mainly because America is a large country with so many nationalities and cultures, and the variety of views that the people have also contribute to this.
    I see you have a Simpson's icon. This idea of America is almost like that episode when Mr. Burns says that he's so diseased that all the diseases are stuck in the door, and none of them can get in.

America is gridlocked, so progress is best made by individuals?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge