• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Nobel Peace Prize: A world sigh of relief?

coberst

Nobel Peace Prize: A world sigh of relief?

Awarding the Nobel Peace Prize might represent a world wide sigh of relief.

The United States, the most powerful nation on this planet, follows up eight years of President George Bush with an election in which the Republican Party chooses an aging John McCann with running mate Sarah Palin as contender for the presidency and finally elects President Barack Obama.

Scary stuff!!

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
Why would it bring about any relief? Didn't they give one to Henry Kissinger?

kathara

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Yeah, that was the final nail in the coffin for the Nobels. For me, at least, they lost all credibility.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
The committe deciding the Nobel Peace Prize this year sounded something like this:

"What kind of message do we want to send the world this year about peace?"
"Give it to someone who helped end a war."
"Nah, too obvious."
"How about reducing poverty or global warming?"
"Nah, we really need a concise clear message about what we think it most important."
"We hate Bush?"
"Ding! Ding! Ding! Winnar!!!"

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
Hearing that Obama got it was like the "WTF?" moment of my week.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
The exact reason/criteria Obama was given the award for was for "Participation"... the intent to participate i guess, since even Obama said it couldn't have been based on his accomplishments. Just wow. Do you know what other far left and progressive winners and nominees there have been, and the only other sitting presidents to get the prize?

Communists/fascists:
Joseph Stalin, Benito Mussolini

Progressive (far left wing of the political spectrum in policy) presidents:
Woodrow Wilson, Theodore Roosevelt, now Barack Obama

Idiots:
Al Gore, Jimmy Carter

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The exact reason/criteria Obama was given the award for was for "Participation"... the intent to participate i guess, since even Obama said it couldn't have been based on his accomplishments. Just wow. Do you know what other far left and progressive winners and nominees there have been, and the only other sitting presidents to get the prize?

Communists/fascists:
Joseph Stalin, Benito Mussolini

Progressive (far left wing of the political spectrum in policy) presidents:
Woodrow Wilson, Theodore Roosevelt, now Barack Obama

Idiots:
Al Gore

You put Teddy Roosevelt and Woodrow Wilson in one political camp?

MBTI Type
INTJ
The committe deciding the Nobel Peace Prize this year sounded something like this:

"What kind of message do we want to send the world this year about peace?"
"Give it to someone who helped end a war."
"Nah, too obvious."
"How about reducing poverty or global warming?"
"Nah, we really need a concise clear message about what we think it most important."
"We hate Bush?"
"Ding! Ding! Ding! Winnar!!!"

Yep.

This was a dog treat given to the USA for electing someone who isn't a Bush or Bush-like substance. "Here boy! Who knows how to elect someone Europe likes? Who's a good boy? USA is! Yes you are! Yes you are!"

Bleh.

Hands Mechanical

MBTI Type
INFP
Indeed. This morning when I saw the news my mind did a little WTF backflip. Thank you, Nobel Foundation, for expressing your relief that America has a chill president for once. I'm sure there could have been no better candidate for the prize - you know, people who have actually accomplished things, rather than simply being elected based on promises and drive to accomplish things.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Obama and I voted for him and I'll vote for him again, but this is more than a little absurd. Its like they just decided to go ahead and give him one since he's going to go down in history anyway for being the first black president and for the energy and vitality of his campaign. Seems like a cop out to me.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Progressivism. Look it up.

I got this:

Progressivism is a political and social term that refers to ideologies and movements favoring or advocating changes or reform, usually in a statist or egalitarian direction for economic policies (government management) and liberal direction for social policies (personal choice).

That is vague and I find it unhelpful as a definition. I also saw Woodrow Wilson and Teddy Roosevelt both listed. Unforunately, none of this tells me what the significant shared traits between them are. In their own time, they hated each other politically.

Who hasn't favored personal choice in some way or another? And what president hasn't believed in the power of the state that he has chosen to manage and increased its power?

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
I got this:

That is vague and I find it unhelpful as a definition. I also saw Woodrow Wilson and Teddy Roosevelt both listed. Unforunately, none of this tells me what the significant shared traits between them are. In their own time, they hated each other politically.

Who hasn't favored personal choice in some way or another? And what president hasn't believed in the power of the state that he has chosen to manage and increased it's power?

Progressive Party (United States, 1912) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and

Progressivism in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A nice history lesson.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

You don't seem to be understanding me. I am familiar with both Teddy Roosevelt and Woodrow Wilson's presidencies. They are crucially at odds. The fit into the definition of progressivism broadly, and they are usually distant from each other within in the boundaries of that definiton. And what I mean by vague is that progressivism, as it is defined each time I look it up, appears to describe 20th century politicy. Are you perhaps against the development of politics in the 20th century in their entirety?

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
You don't seem to be understanding me. I am familiar with both Teddy Roosevelt and Woodrow Wilson's presidencies. They are crucially at odds. The fit into the definition of progressivism broadly, and they are usually distant from each other within in the boundaries of that definiton. And what I mean by vague is that progressivism, as it is defined each time I look it up, appears to describe 20th century politicy. Are you perhaps against the development of politics in the 20th century in their entirety?

[YOUTUBE="C2oOoCdFblc"]Progressive Liberal[/YOUTUBE]

Nyx

My first reaction to this news with semi-incoherent sputtering. I'm not entirely surprised though. Al Gore received it too...and I will not even begin to go into his fallacious science.

Obama was nominated eleven days into office AND we will not find out who nominated him for fifty years!

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You surprise me, Risen. I never would have guessed you'd consider Hillary Clinton and Mike Gravel authoritative sources of information. :D

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
You surprise me, Risen. I never would have guessed you'd consider Hillary Clinton and Mike Gravel authoritative sources of information. :D

Just giving you some perspective on elements of the modern left and how it relates to history.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yep.

This was a dog treat given to the USA for electing someone who isn't a Bush or Bush-like substance. "Here boy! Who knows how to elect someone Europe likes? Who's a good boy? USA is! Yes you are! Yes you are!"

Bleh.

I agree. However, there are also other issues at stake here, like political balance of power and catalyst measures....But I've spoken more about that in the political forum, where such commentary belongs.

In any case, the institution has indeed lost all credibility, as another member already mentioned.

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
Obama prevented a huge amount of international conflict just by not being Bush (or party), perhaps more than any other one man could.

I guess.