User Tag List

First 12

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    You sitting here in your own body, figure out what it can do. Leave it to an INTP to wait for a manual or someone else to tell them how they work.
    You can only exercise control by having the right feedback. Normal people, like you, have the normal level of conscious control, over bodily functions that has been cultivated by the environment you live in and the needs it has created. Going beyond this takes skill. To do something with your mind, and then be able to somehow measure what effect you had is quite another matter. Then there's also the aspect of your mind imagining the said effects, which can either become physical reality within your own brain and body, or goes nowhere because it is all imagined perception or you are not actually perceiving what you think you are. You must develop an understanding of the whole process, though that understanding can come from varying perspectives (religious explanation vs. scientific explanation). Either way, you can reach the same sort of results when it comes to conscious control of mental and physical processes.

Using a scientific model is just one way of going about it, and my proffered method, because I am a scientifically oriented person who likes to rely on such facts to solidify my beliefs and view of reality. When it comes to using the mind to control anything, it requires a conscious belief in the mind that what you are doing is reality in order to exercise that conscious control. The brain as a whole likely perceives everything it generates (thoughts, dreams, whatever) to be reality, but it is the interaction between parts of the brain that generate conscious cognition that eventually comes to define what the reality really is. It's all complex.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    You can only exercise control by having the right feedback. Normal people, like you, have the normal level of conscious control, over bodily functions that has been cultivated by the environment you live in and the needs it has created. Going beyond this takes skill. To do something with your mind, and then be able to somehow measure what effect you had is quite another matter. Then there's also the aspect of your mind imagining the said effects, which can either become physical reality within your own brain and body, or goes nowhere because it is all imagined perception or you are not actually perceiving what you think you are. You must develop an understanding of the whole process, though that understanding can come from varying perspectives (religious explanation vs. scientific explanation). Either way, you can reach the same sort of results when it comes to conscious control of mental and physical processes.

Using a scientific model is just one way of going about it, and my proffered method, because I am a scientifically oriented person who likes to rely on such facts to solidify my beliefs and view of reality. When it comes to using the mind to control anything, it requires a conscious belief in the mind that what you are doing is reality in order to exercise that conscious control. The brain as a whole likely perceives everything it generates (thoughts, dreams, whatever) to be reality, but it is the interaction between parts of the brain that generate conscious cognition that eventually comes to define what the reality really is. It's all complex.
    I know, I used to be a heavy sleeper until my son was born and I trained myself to become a light sleeper. I have also got to the point where my sleep can be so light at times I am aware I am dreaming and can take over my dream to an extent because I know its a dream. I have found a way to tap into part of my other functions because I have never been able to day dream. If I had the time to figure it out more I could probably bring it into day dreaming, but the real world gets in the way. Se is a wonderful tool that allows you to fully experience right now, what is real.

Ego says, HOLD IT, TIME OUT!

The ego is our command center; it is the “internal gyroscope” and creator of time for the human. It controls the individual; especially it controls individual’s response to the external environment. It keeps the individual independent from the environment by giving the individual time to think before acting. It is the device that other animal do not have and thus they instinctively respond immediately to the world.

The id is our animal self. It is the human without the ego control center. The id is reactive life and the ego changes that reactive life into delayed thoughtful life. The ego is also the timer that provides us with a sense of yesterday, today, and tomorrow. By doing so it makes us into philosophical beings conscious of our self as being separate from the ‘other’ and placed in a river of time with a terminal point—death. This time creation allows us to become creatures responding to symbolic reality that we alone create.

As a result of the id there is a “me” to which everything has a focus of being. The most important job the ego has is to control anxiety that paradoxically the ego has created. With a sense of time there comes a sense of termination and with this sense of death comes anxiety that the ego embraces and gives the “me” time to consider how not to have to encounter anxiety.

Evidence indicates that there is an “intrinsic symbolic process” is some primates. Such animals may be able to create in memory other events that are not presently going on. “But intrinsic symbolization is not enough. In order to become a social act, the symbol must be joined to some extrinsic mode; there must exist an external graphic mode to convey what the individual has to express…but it also shows how separate are the worlds we live in, unless we join our inner apprehensions to those of others by means of socially agreed symbols.”

“What they needed for a true ego was a symbolic rallying point, a personal and social symbol—an “I”, in order to thoroughly unjumble himself from his world the animal must have a precise designation of himself. The “I”, in a word, has to take shape linguistically…the self (or ego) is largely a verbal edifice…The ego thus builds up a world in which it can act with equanimity, largely by naming names.” The primate may have a brain large enough for “me” but it must go a step further that requires linguistic ability that permits an “I” that can develop controlled symbols with “which to put some distance between him and immediate internal and external experience.”

I conclude from this that many primates have the brain that is large enough to be human but in the process of evolution the biological apparatus that makes speech possible was the catalyst that led to the modern human species. The ability to emit more sophisticated sounds was the stepping stone to the evolution of wo/man. This ability to control the vocal sounds promoted the development of the human brain.

Ideas and quotes from Birth and Death of Meaning—Ernest Becker

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w4

Our consciousness and bodily functions are composed of a series of mechanisms that are interconnected, yet function on their own simultaneously. At the most basic levels, there are mechanical, reflexive reactions made by control centers that are used to mundane activities that do not require conscious effort to maintain. At the other end of the spectrum, there is the inner control center for our conscious decision making and analyzing mind, which you may consider the self.

A good analogy for this would be operating a car. While driving along the road, rarely do you need to put much conscious effort into maintaining a steady course. The muscle memory pretty much takes over on autopilot, and your mind will be working on other things. However, if a cat should wander into the road in front of you unexpectedly, your conscious center will require intervening action. Should you swerve and take the risk of harming yourself in order to save the cat? Should you hit the brakes and hope you don't hit it? Should you not take any risks? These are all value judgments that your self must consider, and the call to action will ultimately be passed down to the lower levels of physical operators who will carry out the order.

The emotional and instinctual reflexes are rather ingrained in ourselves, and I believe they are somewhere in between the most basic and the self in this spectrum. Of course we can consciously exert control and guidance to how they will act, but they are passive forces which we have inherited from our ancestors. Some philosophers have noted that the newborn baby grasps and struggles against the world before it has any idea of what it looks like, before it can analyze and work that consideration into its next move. I believe our consciousness, which is quite clearly a notable and superior trait we have over other animals, is an advanced guidance center which can train and control these instincts during crucial moral, ethical, and value situations. Of course, do not think that these inherent instincts are extremely flawed and detrimental to progress, since they've carried us here thus far.
    "Stop it, you fuck. Give him some butter."
    Ti
    = Ne > Ni > Fi > Te > Se > Fe > Si INTP (I/PNT) 5w4