• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Anthropic Mechanism

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I recently read about an idea called Anthropic Mechanism, which purports that everything about people can be explained mechanically, in the same sense that natural phenomena like gravity or heat usually can be. However, we don't actually have any way of knowing this for certain one way or the other.

When I first heard about this, I was a little surprised, and didn't really want to believe such a thing. But after thinking about it for a while, I realized we didn't really think weather, navigation, or many other things could be explained scientifically either before they were. It's possible I would simply be resistant to such an idea because it would at first seem to deprive life of meaning, but I don't think it really would. All it would actually mean is that our behavior/thinking could be explained, not that we had any reason to stop behaving in such ways, just that we would have more control/awareness over such. It would simply show us how we find meaning, and actually make it easier for us to do so.

It has been becoming a more appealing idea to me, because it's been difficult for me to find meaning in things. If I understood how my mind worked, and thus how it sought meaning, it would be easier to set things up so that I found it.

What do you think of this idea? Impossible? Interesting? Do you feel opposed to it? Indifferent? Accepting of it as a possibility?

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I always just assumed that this was the case. But then again, science is just a collection of guesses that are difficult to disprove.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I recently read about an idea called Anthropic Mechanism, which purports that everything about people can be explained mechanically, in the same sense that natural phenomena like gravity or heat usually can be. However, we don't actually have any way of knowing this for certain one way or the other.

When I first heard about this, I was a little surprised, and didn't really want to believe such a thing. But after thinking about it for a while, I realized we didn't really think weather, navigation, or many other things could be explained scientifically either before they were.

I will read more about this later, it sounds interesting.

As far as weather (and similar things go), I think that we've figured out a great deal over the centuries and especially in the last 50 years, so we can have predictive power over it... but the chance of success seems to dwindle the further away we move from the target date due simply to the complexity of the system. We understand how the components work, how the elements of nature interact (jet stream, hot/cold fronts, etc.), and we also have collected a body of weather experience to inform our judgment; but the system is simply so complex that the potential future options vary considerably within only a few days of the target.

And people are not different, in many ways. Someone's behavior in a situation can be predicted if you know enough about them -- but there's a certain factor of error introduced depending on the surrounding elements (i.e., other people, unexpected environmental influences, etc.) that will throw off readings. But the complexity of the social system is very large and can impact behavior, making it deviate from expectations.

[I know this is probably a diversion, you seem to be discussing more the personal ramifications of being more of an automaton where behavior can be explained in things other than "personal independent volition" and how it might take away from feelings of person-hood, while I am focusing more on the predictive success of our understanding.]

It has been becoming a more appealing idea to me, because it's been difficult for me to find meaning in things. If I understood how my mind worked, and thus how it sought meaning, it would be easier to set things up so that I found it.

That's interesting, Ath -- something to think about.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
The fact that an equation can be written does not mean that it can be solved.

ygolo

My termites win

When I first heard about this, I was a little surprised, and didn't really want to believe such a thing. But after thinking about it for a while, I realized we didn't really think weather, navigation, or many other things could be explained scientifically either before they were. It's possible I would simply be resistant to such an idea because it would at first seem to deprive life of meaning, but I don't think it really would. All it would actually mean is that our behavior/thinking could be explained, not that we had any reason to stop behaving in such ways, just that we would have more control/awareness over such. It would simply show us how we find meaning, and actually make it easier for us to do so.

What do you think of this idea? Impossible? Interesting? Do you feel opposed to it? Indifferent? Accepting of it as a possibility?

Navigation? Anyway.... I think you hit the mark, with the other parts I highlighted.

I believe, that finding out more about how things work, gives more meaning not less. We now know how barometer readings and expected weather are related. More meaning, not less.

Imagine if someone had some Alzheimer's and the disease hadn't been discovered yet. Would that person's dementia be more meaningful to family members, if they didn't know about a neurological disease causing it? I think not.

Was there a time, when you didn't understand how your computer worked? Do you find your computing experience is less meaningful now that you know more about them? For me, it is an emphatic no. It is no longer just a machine that I do my HW on. I know when there has been a resource conflict on my system. I know when there is a buffer overrun. I actually know what an un-handled exception is now. More meaning, not less.

It is my experience, in general, that the more we understand, the more meaning there is. I find it baffling that people think it is the other way around.

The map is not the territory.

But a good map guides us through the territory.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Imagine if someone had some Alzheimer's and the disease hadn't been discovered yet. Would that person's dementia be more meaningful to family members, if they didn't know about a neurological disease causing it? I think not.

Was there a time, when you didn't understand how your computer worked? Do you find your computing experience is less meaningful now that you know more about them? For me, it is an emphatic no. ...

It is my experience, in general, that the more we understand, the more meaning there is. I find it baffling that people think it is the other way around.

But aren't you comparing giraffes to elephants here?

We can use a computer without understanding how it works.
And we can deal with a loved one who has Alzheimers without understand exactly why the brain has deteriorated.

But neither of those things deals with our sense of volition and independence.

The questions raised by Ath actually are confronting our self-appointed status as autonomous agents in control of our own destiny. That is why we are disturbed by learning that perhaps all of the things we normally attribute to our own "choice" or independence are perhaps just direct and literal products of our genes, our upbringing, and our environment... that perhaps there is no true self but just a machine or little cog following the path that has been foisted upon it.

So I see these things are entirely different, I do not think your examples are comparable at all to our ideal of "free will."

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
But a good map guides us through the territory.

Yes, a good map will guide us through the territory, but no non-physical map or theory, or perception of a framework of ideas, will ever be totally correct unless you happen to be omniscient. There's always the chance that you've missed something.

E-Prime - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"For example, the sentence "the movie was good" can become "I liked the movie" using the rules of E-Prime, which communicates the subjective nature of the speaker's experience, rather than directly imparting a state of goodness to the movie. Using E-Prime makes it harder for a writer or reader to confuse statements of opinion with statements of fact."

ygolo

My termites win
But aren't you comparing giraffes to elephants here?

We can use a computer without understanding how it works.
And we can deal with a loved one who has Alzheimers without understand exactly why the brain has deteriorated.

But neither of those things deals with our sense of volition and independence.

Knowing that your weird uncle has a disease at all, I think, would lead to treating him more kindly than if you just thought he was loopy and senile. It could also lead to treatment that can allow the mind to deteriorate less than if the disease is viewed as annoying eccentricities initially. Knowing still more can insure a patient's family against quackery, and allow them to ask for second opinions at the right times.

I also think the sense of violation is less when you know that your loved one is going through a similar thing as many others(and the experiences are more similar because the disease is the same), and people are able to then share support of people going through a similar illness.

IMO, we are limiting what this "mechanism" is to a worst case scenario--that of us being automatons, and "loosing" our free-wills.

I don't believe that to be the case. Imagine a scenario where we find out how will works, and knowing how our will works is the essential part of our "mechanism". In addition, imagine that knowing how will works, allows us to make it more "free". I think we need to open our minds to possibilities when we are talking about possibilities.

The questions raised by Ath actually are confronting our self-appointed status as autonomous agents in control of our own destiny. That is why we are disturbed by learning that perhaps all of the things we normally attribute to our own "choice" or independence are perhaps just direct and literal products of our genes, our upbringing, and our environment... that perhaps there is no true self but just a machine or little cog following the path that has been foisted upon it.

So I see these things are entirely different, I do not think your examples are comparable at all to our ideal of "free will."

There is that word just again. Why the word just? Why limit our imaginations?

Reality is just as much in the configuration of elements as it is in the elements themselves.

I'll use a simple computing example again. A program, or a file, is the same whether it is on a CD, on your hard-drive or on being transfered on the net. They are copies but if the copies didn't get corrupted, they are the same program or file.

I think who we are is more like software, than hardware (could be my Hindu background that leads me to believe this). It is possible that we will one day be able to preserve ourselves outside our corporeal bodies if we see it to be a good thing to do (I don't believe it is a good thing, though).

If you want, I may try to give a vivid description of a "mechanism" that preserves "free-will."
-----------------------

Yes, a good map will guide us through the territory, but no non-physical map or theory, or perception of a framework of ideas, will ever be totally correct unless you happen to be omniscient. There's always the chance that you've missed something.

We always miss something. That is almost the point of it--to intentionally miss the things that are non-essential to what we are asking or doing.

One always misses something. This is true whether one thinks one has a map or not. I would say, it is more true if one fools himself/herself into thinking you can see the territory, and not just a map of sorts.

E-Prime - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"For example, the sentence "the movie was good" can become "I liked the movie" using the rules of E-Prime, which communicates the subjective nature of the speaker's experience, rather than directly imparting a state of goodness to the movie. Using E-Prime makes it harder for a writer or reader to confuse statements of opinion with statements of fact."

Passive voice has its place (esp. in scientific description, philosophy, and such). But it seems like using E-Prime is a good exercise for professional writers (I am not a professional writer).

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP

True.
They should never have divided between the animate and the inanimate in the first place. Where do you find life in the microcosmos? It is not there.
Just another chimera.

Vortex

MBTI Type
WOLF
I've always just assumed that we could be explained mechanically. I know I don't base all of my choices on my 'free will' and I've always had some trouble with the concept. Logically, for me, it follows that some other shadow process is in place and only the tiniest surface layer of humanity and civilization set us apart from each other and gives us the ability to make decisions.
Since I accept this as the way things are, I'm quite indifferent. I'd wish better explanations and scientific approaches were in place, but it doesn't matter much to me.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
IMO, we are limiting what this "mechanism" is to a worst case scenario--that of us being automatons, and "losing" our free-wills.

I don't believe that to be the case. Imagine a scenario where we find out how will works, and knowing how our will works is the essential part of our "mechanism". In addition, imagine that knowing how will works, allows us to make it more "free". I think we need to open our minds to possibilities when we are talking about possibilities.

Are there actually more than two possibilities? Isn't that a little like saying you're just a "little pregnant?" Either we have some amount of autonomy over ourselves, or we do not. The scenario is binary by nature.

In the situation you describe, I would still call that "free will" -- if your will can make a decision that is not 100% a reaction to everything that has happened in the past to it and shaped it. That is not mechanistic to me in the sense I was using the term.

(To me, mechanistic is where actions are predetermined, whereas free will would be the ability to pick something even randomly if so desired. But the latter might still be a paradox... It's a little tedious to extrapolate, though.)

There is that word just again. Why the word just? Why limit our imaginations?

You could delete the word "just" and still have it convey the same thought I meant, I suppose.

(And honestly, what you choose to imagine is fine with me, as long as it has some connection with reality and isn't just spurious confabulation.)

Reality is just as much in the configuration of elements as it is in the elements themselves.

I'll use a simple computing example again. A program, or a file, is the same whether it is on a CD, on your hard-drive or on being transfered on the net. They are copies but if the copies didn't get corrupted, they are the same program or file.

I think who we are is more like software, than hardware (could be my Hindu background that leads me to believe this). It is possible that we will one day be able to preserve ourselves outside our corporeal bodies if we see it to be a good thing to do (I don't believe it is a good thing, though).

Thank you -- having an example to work with helps me follow you a little easier...

Still, how would we go about "proving" (or at least making a strong case for) "us" being software sitting on/in a machine, rather than firmware that driven by the machine itself?

Well, I know eastern thought can promote this, but trust me that many westerners also live as though this were true -- that the "ego" is separate from the body. The sundering came with the Greek philosophers and up through the ages, and only recently (because of science advancement) have we really begun to realize that some of what is "us" is driven heavily if not completely by the body. Holistically, the body is not an attachment or option, it's part of "us." But I can't prove that either. :dry:

Still (and here is a little example), if our hippocampus is damaged, we can form no more long-term memories. Our sense of history stops at the time of damage, and we can no longer evolve/mature. In addition, the memories are stored physically in our brain by actual neurons, not in primarily some metaphysical sense; damage to the brain results in memory loss. Without the physical storage unit of the brain, we seem to no longer exist.

(The best case I can see you making is that "we exist" elsewhere but can no longer communicate or express that existence via the vehicle of our body-- and this argument is pure speculation. It's not verifiable.)

But now we are hitting on "life after death" issues. And there was some interesting "cloning" speculations involving Star Trek transporters that I think came up on INTPc a number of months ago. Which deals with the same questions, basically. :)

If you want, I may try to give a vivid description of a "mechanism" that preserves "free-will."

Sure, I'd love to see what you're thinking here.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Unless I am completely misunderstanding what you mean by this, hasn't that always been the most scientific explanation, given current understanding/data? Everything has to have a mechanism--what else would make it function? The only other explanation would be souls/something else mystic...hardly scientific...

Unless you are talking about having our lives essentially predetermined, which is somewhat different.

ygolo

My termites win
Are there actually more than two possibilities? Isn't that a little like saying you're just a "little pregnant?" Either we have some amount of autonomy over ourselves, or we do not. The scenario is binary by nature.

Well, there are weird medical conditions, etc. but that is rather tangential. I guess what I was saying is that it is possible that science will explain our free-will without us loosing it.

In the situation you describe, I would still call that "free will" -- if your will can make a decision that is not 100% a reaction to everything that has happened in the past to it and shaped it. That is not mechanistic to me in the sense I was using the term.

(To me, mechanistic is where actions are predetermined, whereas free will would be the ability to pick something even randomly if so desired. But the latter might still be a paradox... It's a little tedious to extrapolate, though.)

I don't know then what interpretation to mechanism to give. I thought Athenian200 just meant a scientific explanations that explains who we are, and why we do things.

I find it hard to believe that a scientific explanation about such a commonly experienced thing as Consciousness or Will, will defy our common-sense notion of what it is by too much.

You could delete the word "just" and still have it convey the same thought I meant, I suppose.

(And honestly, what you choose to imagine is fine with me, as long as it has some connection with reality and isn't just spurious confabulation.)

Just is a loaded word. I am not sure what argument there is without "just." We have a mechanism, and we have free-will (without the just).

It is clear we are made up of matter. Just as it is clear that speech is made up of sounds. But understanding the mechanism of sounds does not deconstruct the meaning given to speech. In fact, it gives us insight into why some languages and customs come about. Again this is a bit tangential.

Still, how would we go about "proving" (or at least making a strong case for) "us" being software sitting on/in a machine, rather than firmware that driven by the machine itself?

I think the burden-of-proof is on the person claiming impossibility, not the other way around. But, it is fairly complex even in the computing example.

If you only have one copy of a program, and it gets corrupted, then that program exists no more. The program creator may recreate/repair it, if he/she deems it fit to do so.

Our body, our brain, our mind, and our soul are linked. We are not able to copy ourselves in mind and soul, and it is unknown if our creator(s) will ever make another instance of us if we get corrupted.

There are remarkable similarities between twins, as there are remarkable similarities between siblings, even when reared apart. However, every pair of twins I've known have been distinctly different people. I would never call both the same person, nor two instances of the same person. If it was simply about the material, how are they two different people?

You could make some case about chaotic systems, etc, and initial conditions, leading to distinct enough people to consider them two different individuals (rather than two instances of the same one). But I think this is just a different labeling for the same thing.

Consider also that the body keeps changing --we are certainly affected by these changes, but we are still the same person. We are also affected by changes in our bodies as well as the environment, just as self-modifying programs behave differently under different hardware conditions, and when they receives different inputs.

We don't consider ourselves a different actual person from moment to moment. This is not the common-sense way we think of ourselves, at-least. I think the reason is that we are the same person, identity-wise (again, unless the changes are so bad we get "corrupted").

Well, I know eastern thought can promote this, but trust me that many westerners also live as though this were true -- that the "ego" is separate from the body. The sundering came with the Greek philosophers and up through the ages, and only recently (because of science advancement) have we really begun to realize that some of what is "us" is driven heavily if not completely by the body. Holistically, the body is not an attachment or option, it's part of "us." But I can't prove that either. :dry:

Still (and here is a little example), if our hippocampus is damaged, we can form no more long-term memories. Our sense of history stops at the time of damage, and we can no longer evolve/mature. In addition, the memories are stored physically in our brain by actual neurons, not in primarily some metaphysical sense; damage to the brain results in memory loss. Without the physical storage unit of the brain, we seem to no longer exist.

(The best case I can see you making is that "we exist" elsewhere but can no longer communicate or express that existence via the vehicle of our body-- and this argument is pure speculation. It's not verifiable.)

But now we are hitting on "life after death" issues. And there was some interesting "cloning" speculations involving Star Trek transporters that I think came up on INTPc a number of months ago. Which deals with the same questions, basically. :)

We are not separate from our bodies. But we are not our bodies (again, this seems to be the common-sense). If our bodies are corrupted we risk ourselves being corrupted. When we get ill, we aim to get better. But most people are able to be themselves even after a sever injury like loosing an arm (unless their identity is severely attached to the arm).

When we take psychotropic drugs (anti-depressants, etc.), are we changing ourselves? Or simply improving some biological impediments like low-seratonin? If they are bad drugs, they will corrupt us. But most of these seem to do nothing much other than give temporarily relief, and an occasional head-trip.

Sure, I'd love to see what you're thinking here.

Possible Mechanism of Will

Here I am giving a possible mechanism of will, to show that it is possible we have a mechanism as well as will.

For now, I will use the common-sense notion of making choices as will, and try to mechanize it.

The Environment, Causality, and Decision Making

Imagine an archer firing arrows at his enemies. The arrows he has fired, he no longer controls. They are set on their course and may or may not hit their targets. The archer can gauge by how much he has missed and adjust his aim. This is an act of will, though you may say his aim is determined by his environment (where the target is). In fact, the better his readjustment, his act of will, the more his action was determined by the environment.

It is said that you are actually better able to predict the actions of better poker players.

Our Natures and Decision Making

When we fight our own natures, we show poor judgment. This is true whether our natures are genetically rooted or formed by a combination of environment and genetics. If it is the latter, we can choose our new environments and thereby influence our future nature.

Again, better uses of our will (the common-sense notion of it), are more determined by our natures than worse uses.

Defying the Odds and Decision Making

It is actually impossible to defy the odds, but we need to choose which odds make the most sense. On average, we are all C to B students (grade inflation :D), and we have an IQ of 100, will likely not make enough money to retire, ... But if you know more about yourself, you can see perhaps that you are actually a B to A student, with an IQ of 145 and are on track for a comfortable retirement.

Her you can show error in judgment by judging yourself too average, but you can also judge yourself too special (or incorrectly special), and believe you can defy the odds. Again, the best judgment is the one determined to be the best based on the situation.

Particles and Decision Making

There has been some notion of particles/photons being able to consistently make the right "choice" (in terms polarization, etc.) consistently despite the fact that there is no known mechanism for it getting the information it needs. Physicists call this phenomenon, quantum entanglement, but provide no mechanism for it.

Some postulate that what is at work here is an ultra-accurate (Godly?) use of judgment to make the correct decision under impossible odds.

They further postulate an elementary unit (like matter) that makes this possible. In addition, these elementary units act in resonance (40 Hz, I believe) to create our conscious minds and our ability to make choices judgments instead of simply moving along according the odds specified by our constituent chemical and biological parts.

Consciousness, in this construct, is considered yet another form of quantum coherence, similar to superfluidity and superconductivity.

I don't know if it is true, or if it has been debunked. But it hardly violates the sense I have about free-will and it's existence. In fact, it makes me think that I am actually a small bit of quantum coherence in the over all mind of God. Hardly someone lacking will.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Consciousness, in this construct, is considered yet another form of quantum coherence, similar to superfluidity and superconductivity.

I don't know if it is true, or if it has been debunked. But it hardly violates the sense I have about free-will and it's existence. In fact, it makes me think that I am actually a small bit of quantum coherence in the over all mind of God. Hardly someone lacking will.

That's an interesting idea... and shows how we could understand how a person's will works without necessarily negating it or making it meaningless. It seems to express the general idea I was thinking of. Of course, I don't know if we'll ever be able to actually understand it on that level.