• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Aren't we all racists?

Aren't we all racists?

• Yes, in a way.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • No way.

Votes: 16 23.5%
  • Prejudiced, but not racist.

Votes: 35 51.5%

• Total voters
R

Riva

Not in a Nazi or KKK kind of way, but I think that deep inside that we all have a we against them quality to our selves. (unless you have the Bobby Fischer syndrome.:devil:)

But as we get to know people from other races and spends more time with them it slips away.

But there is still a tiny part in us that sees others as them and never as us.

Don't we?

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I agree. If people look and act different from you, you are definitely going to notice. But it's from getting to know them that we are accepting of them.

I wouldn't call it racism though.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
No. Noticing differences in appearance from oneself is not the same as racism.

R

Riva

I agree. If people look and act different from you, you are definitely going to notice. But it's from getting to know them that we are accepting of them.

ooops

that is not exactly what I meant.

ok lets take a smaller version from race. Lets take a family.

you would almost always want your big brother to be more successful than the guy across the street who has a weird accent.

not apply it to a bigger version.

a race, an ethnicity.

How about now?

MBTI Type
INxJ
That might be true for many people. The tribal mentality is a survival instinct.

Personally, I've never had that view in terms of race. I think cultural outsiders are more different from me than other ethnic groups. Like socialites, rednecks, and ghetto thugs.

The only genuine racism I have ever experienced was from my own family. The Japanese are as racist as the white nationalists, and far more successful at keeping a homogeneous nation. That early experience shaped how I would view ethnicity from a very young age. It doesn't make sense to me, to be racist.

R

Riva

That might be true for many people. The tribal mentality is a survival instinct.

Personally, I've never had that view in terms of race. I think cultural outsiders are more different from me than other ethnic groups. Like socialites, rednecks, and ghetto thugs.

The only genuine racism I have ever experienced was from my own family. The Japanese are as racist as the white nationalists, and far more successful at keeping a homogeneous nation. That early experience shaped how I would view ethnicity from a very young age. It doesn't make sense to me, to be racist.

ok that makes sense. :high five:

but usually the people from the same ethnicity have the same culture. if they live in the same village or city or neighborhood.

so what i mean is if two guys are from the same hood and culture whom would you naturally support? if you don't know any of them that much to like them or dislike them.

and okay............... Japs are racists?????? :huh: i didn't know that.
Gosh they look so cute like Pokemon bunnies:devil:. i never guessed this.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No. Noticing differences in appearance from oneself is not the same as racism.

Pretty much. I reject the thought that my race is superior in any ways, and though I notice the difference between black and white skin (well, I'm not blind or anything), I don't feel more "togetherness" with white people, as... say, green eyed or brown haired ones.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
ooops

you would almost always want your big brother to be more successful than the guy across the street who has a weird accent.

a race, an ethnicity.

How about now?

Oh. :p I'm not sure now.

Prototype

THREADKILLER
MBTI Type
Why?
Don't you mean prejudice?

The concept of racism is thrown around too much as a reaction to a natural opinion of what others have of people...

So, what you are saying is, unconsciously we are all equally bias, for self-preservation purposes?...

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
All racist? No.

All inclined to be distant toward some group of people we have categorized somehow? Yes.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Hmm... probably, when you come right down to it. People judge each other on superficial qualities all the time. Gender, race, clothing, hair color, hair style, accent, etc.

Basically, as long as people judge each other on superficial qualities like those, racism will always be a possibility.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
ooops

a race, an ethnicity.

How about now?

Well, if we look at it that way...

My neighborhood is mostly European, that's true. There are a few Asians, a few Blacks, but yes, mostly European descent. White.

I don't get why being 'white' should necessarily be a uniting factor. I mean, Europe has had lots of wars among itself. They don't seem to care whether you're white, they're still going to kill you anyway. They see lots of distinctions between different kinds of white -- western whites, southern whites, eastern whites, northern whites. And then they all tried to kill each other.

Even in the United States, there have been distinctions between whites. Irish, Eastern Europeans, etc -- it's unfair to classify all whites, or all blacks, or all Asians as together. Because historically they never have been. It's always easier to fight with your neighbor than with someone all the way across the ocean.

So no, I can't expand the concept of 'family' to all white people. It just doesn't make any sense.

MBTI Type
INxJ
ok that makes sense. :high five:

but usually the people from the same ethnicity have the same culture. if they live in the same village or city or neighborhood.

so what i mean is if two guys are from the same hood and culture whom would you naturally support? if you don't know any of them that much to like them or dislike them.

and okay............... Japs are racists?????? :huh: i didn't know that.
Gosh they look so cute like Pokemon bunnies:devil:. i never guessed this.

Not really. I think class and location will determine that more than anything else. Like a Chinese in China, will be worlds apart from an assimilated ABC.

I don't understand your second question.

My family refused to see me after I was born since I'm mixed Irish, until my father showed them a picture proving I looked asian enough. Japanese culture is very much about not standing out.

In 2005, a United Nations special rapporteur on racism and xenophobia expressed concerns about "deep and profound" racism in Japan and insufficient government recognition of the problem.

Ethnic issues in Japan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not_Me

MBTI Type
INTj
Identifying with others who have similar values, is not racism. Racism is when irrelevant physical traits become the primary criteria for judging people. It is irrational because these traits are irrelevant in predicting social compatibility. It makes no more sense than using shoe size as the primary criteria.

MBTI Type
INxJ
I thought white spouses are status symbols in Japan?

The only way white people aren't looked down upon, is if they're extremely loaded. Otherwise, the average Japanese will be deeply against mixing and creating children.

Ask a mixed white/Japanese child that grew up in Japan, if they would prefer to look completely Japanese. The answer will almost always be, "yes". Why? They get teased and treated like an outsider to an extreme level. Japan still hasn't approved for all mixed children born there to be citizens.

Ethnicity = Nationality

Tourists on the other hand, well the Japanese love tourists. The only difference will be when someone decides to permanently reside or have mixed children. I think it's all very stupid, but I'm mixed so my say doesn't matter. Japan will have a serious population crisis in 10 years if they don't relax their xenophobic immigration and citizenship policies.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Racism is a strongly pervasive issue that does influence every member within a racist society. This does not mean that all members of the society embrace racism, especially consciously. Some hold values that deliberately reject the concept and work to act and think in a manner against that racism.

The biggest problem with racism is how it influences the members of a society subconsciously. The dominant race establishes the point of reference and mistakes its subjective preferences for the "objective" way in which people should think and do. When people are ostracized in any way for not behaving within this norm because of racial/cultural differences, it is a form of racism even if it is not consciously perceived as such.