User Tag List

View Poll Results: Aren't we all racists?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, in a way.

19 26.39%
  • No way.

16 22.22%
  • Prejudiced, but not racist.

37 51.39%
12311 Last

Riva

Default Aren't we all racists?

Not in a Nazi or KKK kind of way, but I think that deep inside that we all have a we against them quality to our selves. (unless you have the Bobby Fischer syndrome.)

But as we get to know people from other races and spends more time with them it slips away.

But there is still a tiny part in us that sees others as them and never as us.

Don't we?

your resident asshole

I agree. If people look and act different from you, you are definitely going to notice. But it's from getting to know them that we are accepting of them.

I wouldn't call it racism though.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

No. Noticing differences in appearance from oneself is not the same as racism.

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    I agree. If people look and act different from you, you are definitely going to notice. But it's from getting to know them that we are accepting of them.
    ooops

that is not exactly what I meant.

ok lets take a smaller version from race. Lets take a family.

you would almost always want your big brother to be more successful than the guy across the street who has a weird accent.

not apply it to a bigger version.

a race, an ethnicity.

How about now?

MBTI
    INxJ

That might be true for many people. The tribal mentality is a survival instinct.

Personally, I've never had that view in terms of race. I think cultural outsiders are more different from me than other ethnic groups. Like socialites, rednecks, and ghetto thugs.

The only genuine racism I have ever experienced was from my own family. The Japanese are as racist as the white nationalists, and far more successful at keeping a homogeneous nation. That early experience shaped how I would view ethnicity from a very young age. It doesn't make sense to me, to be racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post

Agreed.

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    That might be true for many people. The tribal mentality is a survival instinct.

Personally, I've never had that view in terms of race. I think cultural outsiders are more different from me than other ethnic groups. Like socialites, rednecks, and ghetto thugs.

The only genuine racism I have ever experienced was from my own family. The Japanese are as racist as the white nationalists, and far more successful at keeping a homogeneous nation. That early experience shaped how I would view ethnicity from a very young age. It doesn't make sense to me, to be racist.
    ok that makes sense. :high five:

but usually the people from the same ethnicity have the same culture. if they live in the same village or city or neighborhood.

so what i mean is if two guys are from the same hood and culture whom would you naturally support? if you don't know any of them that much to like them or dislike them.

and okay............... Japs are racists?????? i didn't know that.
    Gosh they look so cute like Pokemon bunnies. i never guessed this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Pretty much. I reject the thought that my race is superior in any ways, and though I notice the difference between black and white skin (well, I'm not blind or anything), I don't feel more "togetherness" with white people, as... say, green eyed or brown haired ones.

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by Curzon View Post
    ooops

that is not exactly what I meant.

ok lets take a smaller version from race. Lets take a family.

you would almost always want your big brother to be more successful than the guy across the street who has a weird accent.

not apply it to a bigger version.

a race, an ethnicity.

How about now?
    Oh. :P I'm not sure now.

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

Don't you mean prejudice?

The concept of racism is thrown around too much as a reaction to a natural opinion of what others have of people...

So, what you are saying is, unconsciously we are all equally bias, for self-preservation purposes?...
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!