User Tag List

View Poll Results: Aren't we all racists?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, in a way.

19 26.39%
  • No way.

16 22.22%
  • Prejudiced, but not racist.

37 51.39%
First 789101119 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Curzon View Post
    Not in a Nazi or KKK kind of way, but I think that deep inside that we all have a we against them quality to our selves. (unless you have the Bobby Fischer syndrome.)

But as we get to know people from other races and spends more time with them it slips away.

But there is still a tiny part in us that sees others as them and never as us.

Don't we?
    I see all groups as them.
    The race of an individual does not matter to me.
    There is no racist tiny part.

There is no point in prejudice. Racismwise or otherwise.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Quote Originally Posted by Curzon View Post
    Not in a Nazi or KKK kind of way, but I think that deep inside that we all have a we against them quality to our selves. (unless you have the Bobby Fischer syndrome.)

But as we get to know people from other races and spends more time with them it slips away.

But there is still a tiny part in us that sees others as them and never as us.

Don't we?
    Yes and no; I think the "us vs them" mentality is pretty much normal, but it's not neccesarily divided by race or gender.

There are those who will divide it into "us" being "ME" and noone else, which would be yeur literal psychopath. And then there will be those who view "Us" as being "all living things", and "them" being "anyone who wants to harm/kill anything that's alive".

As such, I don't think it's really a racist thing, as that's a dividing line, whereas I think the line it divides at is in fact mobile, and tends to apply differently to each individual.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post
    I assume the vast majority of whites who display the flag to be aware of the polarizing nature of the flag but have found their heritage to be more important than their relationships with people of color.
    Would you refrain from displaying an American flag if you were surrounded by people who associated the flag with negative things? More broadly, do you think people should deny (and implicitly denigrate) themselves in order to accommodate others? Do you think your friend from high school could have done so, without losing much of who he was in the process?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by paperoceans View Post
    Nope. Racism is taught. If you look at young children they do not discriminate against other. For the most part, they are not even aware of it. But as time goes on... You get the point.
    Definitely a bit like the blue eyes brown eyes experiment by Jane Elliott. People will be surprised by the clutter the subconscious picks up and projects.

[youtube="T8gCJ4K4tnE"]Eye of the storm[/youtube]

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Yes

Junior Member Butterfly_Effected's Avatar
    MBTI
    XXXX

Quote Originally Posted by phthalocyanine View Post
    is that a butterfly on a pot plant?
    nature is a wonderful thing, even a wounded insect knows where to go to feel better.
    Stupid people piss me off....
    no wonder I get angry with myself!!! lol

MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP

Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    Definitely a bit like the blue eyes brown eyes experiment by Jane Elliott. People will be surprised by the clutter the subconscious picks up and projects.

[youtube="T8gCJ4K4tnE"]Eye of the storm[/youtube]
    that's pretty crazy

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

EnFpFer you are missing that many people in the south don't see the confederate flag as racist at all. They see it as something to symbolize the south. I guess a question would be what else is there that symbolizes the south.

I don't care, I'm a yankee, I just know that many people don't look at it as racist. Southern pride can be a different discussion than racism. It's not a definite equal.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    EnFpFer you are missing that many people in the south don't see the confederate flag as racist at all. They see it as something to symbolize the south. I guess a question would be what else is there that symbolizes the south.

I don't care, I'm a yankee, I just know that many people don't look at it as racist. Southern pride can be a different discussion than racism. It's not a definite equal.
    I heard it's super racist in the south, I met a girl who was living there for a while, but she's from australia, she's half white half black, and she said something like she had to decide whether she was black or white? so she went with white in order to gain acceptance. But she said it's different here, for the most part, actually she said America in general is pretty racist though.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by INTJ123 View Post
    I heard it's super racist in the south,
    I lived in the south, sort term, and I have a sister in law from the south. I am not an expert. But I did more than just hear something.

My point is that the confederate flag is more complicated than just "fly it and you are racist"