User Tag List

View Poll Results: Aren't we all racists?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, in a way.

19 26.39%
  • No way.

16 22.22%
  • Prejudiced, but not racist.

37 51.39%
First 5678917 Last

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post

For what reason?
    I avoid conflict in general. Furthermore, I don't like using "racial" terminologies at all. In fact, when I see the question "What race are you?" on a survey, I choose not to respond.

I think the term "racist" has been watered down over past few decades due to over-usage. 50 years ago, a racist was a person who wanted to treat a particular race as a second class citizen. This would either happen because one race would feel superior to the other, or because one race felt threatened by the other. For example, the primary reason why the Nazi propaganda worked so effectively was because most people felt economically threatened by the Jews. On the other hand, you will find that most of America and Europe, at one time, literally felt that Africans were a lower species. Therefore, they did not deserve the same rights as "humans".

Today, we know that differences among races are minimal to a degree that there are overlaps between individuals. Therefore, all races are much more equal than we once thought they were.

We are not all racists, because today most Americans don't want to treat certain races as second class citizens. Those who do are ignorant bigots or attention whores.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    We are not all racists, because today most Americans don't want to treat certain races as second class citizens. Those who do (like the people who wave Confederate flags)
    Ah, irony...

MBTI
    ENFJ

I thought originally a good number of white Southerners were against the Civil War because they thought it was a rich man's war? What happened to them?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    In American culture, many people keep the history of slavery in mind. Because of this, I think some of us are scared of offending African Americans. This produces a "reverse prejudice" affect in which some jerkish African Americans aren't held accountable for their behavior. White people are sometimes deathly afraid of someone pulling "the race card".
    I think the term "racist" is overused. Like if a someone person refers to another person as "black," "hispanic," etc. then they are deemed as racist even though they are just describing the person. Unless it is a derogatory remark, no one is being racist!

In my opinion, it's better to say "black" rather than "African American" because being African American implies that you have ancestors of African decent, which is not necessarily true.

Oh, and I voted for the third option now that there's a poll.

Random story I want to tell:
    So I have this friend, and we aren't very close, but she's one of the closest friends I have (sadly). Anyway, it seemed like her mouth was constantly moving so I told her to be quiet (I do this with a lot of annoying people). Almost immediately after, she called me a "racist." I thought she was joking at first, but she was quite serious. My reaction was sort of like this . No one has ever seriously called me that and it didn't even make sense here.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Ah, irony...
    I was specifically referring to Enfper's picture. Not all people who wave Confederate flags are racist. Maybe not even the ones in her picture. Who knows?

I live in a city where racism is almost non-existent (at least in my neighborhood). I probably don't have the best impression of the socio-economic/psychological environments of the south.

MBTI
    INTP

And since this subject always bring out misunderstandings, let me elaborate on my personal stance; I like the Confederate flag, I emotionally associate it with my culture, my familial heritage, and my regional homeland. I also understand why most blacks dislike the flag, and I think they're opinion is equally valid, and for that reason I don't think state flags should include it-I just resent and oppose the uncritical demonization toward people who choose to display the flag.
    Last edited by lowtech redneck; 10-03-2009 at 06:43 PM. Reason: remove personal reference to poster

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Millions more Southerners would put Confederate flags on theirs cars if they were not afraid of being stigmatized as racist, and harassed accordingly. Many Southerners do so anyway in order to express their identity in defiance of possible social ostracism (kind of like gay people displaying "gay pride" bumper-stickers in religiously conservative areas), or because they figure they have nothing to lose from social ostracism.
    I hope not. Using that line of thinking, perhaps millions more whites would join the Klan as well. I actually think much more highly of people in general, and doubt that you are correct.

So you're saying that the Southern Whites who display the flag are doing so in defiance? Defiance of whom or of what? The Confederate flag is on the capital grounds in many southern States. Who are these people defying? Themselves? They live in Conservative areas, and represent a large part of the dominant culture. They are not the minority, unlike gays in a religiously conservative area(or most any area actually).
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

As far as Japan is concerned... There is no doubt that racism does exist in Japan but I've lived here in Japan for 12 years and haven't had any trouble fitting in. Neither have my kids. I am a New Zealander and my wife is Japanese.

I've never had any racism directed at me. Neither have my kids.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    I think the term "racist" is overused. Like if a someone person refers to another person as "black," "hispanic," etc. then they are deemed as racist even though they are just describing the person. Unless it is a derogatory remark, no one is being racist!
    +1 (This is one reason why I avoid using these terms).

If we stretch the word as done in the OP, yes I suppose I am racist.

I make friends more easily with black an brown individuals...I suppose that makes me some what racist. Still many of my closest friends are white.

Also, I am more attracted to white skinned women. Especially, milky-white-skinned women, especially brunettes and redheads. Still I appreciate all types of beauty, in all races. But I suppose this preference makes me a bit racist (again stretching the word).

I think we have to be careful, however. True racism is insidious and debilitating to the people who are afflicted. It is especially insidious when a majority group holds racist attitudes towards a minority group...you know in the "they are lesser beings" in some way sort of racism.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield