User Tag List

View Poll Results: Aren't we all racists?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, in a way.

    19 26.39%
  • No way.

    16 22.22%
  • Prejudiced, but not racist.

    37 51.39%
First 4567816 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 210

  1. #51
    Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    In American culture, many people keep the history of slavery in mind. Because of this, I think some of us are scared of offending African Americans. This produces a "reverse prejudice" affect in which some jerkish African Americans aren't held accountable for their behavior. White people are sometimes deathly afraid of someone pulling "the race card".
    1. I don't know many people who really care, or remotely understand, much about the true history of slavery in America beyond the fact that it existed--white or black.
    2. I see no evidence of jerkish African Americans being held "unaccountable" for their behavior as a result of white guilt. And don't tell me about OJ Simpson, one man who got away with murder out of thousands of black men falsely accused and currently incarcerated for crimes that they wouldn't be in jail for if they were white.

    Further, it's often the case that when one stupid black person does something asinine, all black people get this:"Black people" are quite often viewed as a homogeneous group, all liking the same things(like rap music:rolli, and sharing a common culture; whereas, whites are more often viewed as distinguished individuals with a wide variety of taste and interest, and accountable to only themselves rather than their entire "race". The only time that whites frequently encounter the later is when institutional racism is discussed.

    I have a hard time believing that this society is afraid of offending African Americans, although I'm not denying that some individuals are, for their own personal reasons.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

  2. #52
    Senior Member NewEra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    I
    Posts
    3,104

    Default

    I think your 3rd option hit it on the head - "Prejudiced, but not racist."

  3. #53
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post
    1. I don't know many people who really care, or remotely understand, much about the true history of slavery in America beyond the fact that it existed--white or black.
    2. I see no evidence of jerkish African Americans being held "unaccountable" for their behavior as a result of white guilt. And don't tell me about OJ Simpson, one man who got away with murder out of thousands of black men falsely accused and currently incarcerated for crimes that they wouldn't be in jail for if they were white.

    Further, it's often the case that when one stupid black person does something asinine, all black people get this:"Black people" are quite often viewed as a homogeneous group, all liking the same things(like rap music:rolli, and sharing a common culture; whereas, whites are more often viewed as distinguished individuals with a wide variety of taste and interest, and accountable to only themselves rather than their entire "race". The only time that whites frequently encounter the later is when institutional racism is discussed.

    I have a hard time believing that this society is afraid of offending African Americans, although I'm not denying that some individuals are, for their own personal reasons.
    Ok, correction - I am deathly afraid of offending "Black People".

    For instance, if a person were to ask me to describe a black dude who had just walked past, I would just say "that dude". I don't even want to racially classify people.

    But I am sure you are correct when you say that a large portion of Americans are undereducated about the history of slavery. Occasionally, I will find some people who are astonishingly stupefied.

    But this is just from my perspective.

  4. #54
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post
    I come from a place where many Southern whites display their racial pride all the time. They don't like to call it that though, presumably because then they could no longer claim that only racial minorities do it.
    That doesn't make any sense. They don't call it that because they don't want to be called racists for having racial pride.

    Personally, I think the whole concept of racial pride is ridiculous, no matter what race you are.

    And by the way, I never said only racial minorities have racial pride. I said it's only politically correct for them. That's a big difference.


    Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Ashley View Post
    I don't know about all that. I come from a place where the Irish and Italian have plenty of pride that they openly display. And neither of them are minorities.
    I'm sorry; I should have specified that I was referring to the US.

    Or maybe you're referring to New York? I don't know. In any event, it's typically much more PC for racial minorities to have "racial pride" than for white people, in the US. That's really my only point.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  5. #55
    Revelation Lauren Ashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII
    Posts
    3,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    I'm sorry; I should have specified that I was referring to the US.

    Or maybe you're referring to New York? I don't know. In any event, it's typically much more PC for racial minorities to have "racial pride" than for white people, in the US. That's really my only point.
    I know you were referring to the US; no I'm not referring to NY. "White people" consists of a wide variety of people, of multiple and diverse origins. My point was that I see certain groups, that are not racial minorities, openly display their pride and it's A-okay for them to do so. I imagine it would be different if they were to just display "white" pride.

  6. #56
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Curzon View Post
    Rather that than 50 years of civil war.
    The Sri Lankan situation and its origins are not exactly analogous to the theoretical liberalization of Japan's immigration policies-things such as comparative numbers, diversity of migrants, and assimilationist policies would all be a factor, all quite different from what the British did with "Ceylon".

  7. #57
    Was E.laur Laurie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp
    Posts
    6,075

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    For instance, if a person were to ask me to describe a black dude who had just walked past, I would just say "that dude". I don't even want to racially classify people.
    I've had lots of black friends, been in situations with more black than white. It really doesn't matter to me. I would be careful about classifying by race because of the sensitivity of the issue, not because I care either way.

  8. #58
    Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    That doesn't make any sense. They don't call it that because they don't want to be called racists for having racial pride.
    I'm from the same part of the world as you are. You think those people with the giant confederate flags on the backs of their trucks are afraid of offending someone?Anyone?

    You honestly think those white people who so proudly put those "Heritage" stickers on their bumpers with the Confederate flag plastered right next to it are afraid of offending Southern Blacks whose heritage in the South they are referring to includes the enslavement of their not all too distant relatives? Come. On. South Carolina and Georgia, two states with some of the worst racial histories in this country(and some of the highest percentages of black descendants of slaves), wanted to fight like hell to keep the Confederate flag, which is blatantly offensive to many blacks no matter what you think it really represents, on top of the State House(SC), and as a part of the State flag(Georgia).

    I guarantee you that you will never see mass numbers of Southern blacks put stickers on the backs of their cars that could even potentially incite fury in the hearts of their white neighbors.<------ That is real fear. You will never see large numbers of black Southerners put giant flags in their front or back yards, audaciously visible from the main highway, that they know will hurt and incite anger in a large number of whites(even if the origin of the flag had positive connotations).

    Further, there are other ways that "whites" in this country are allowed to display racial pride that are far more subtle, but much more far reaching than what is acceptable or even possible for racial minorities. For example, the vast majority of American historical text, especially the ones used prior to 2000, used as required reading for children of all races in this country is a gross display of white pride. And that white pride is expected to be absorbed and accepted by all who are presented it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    Ok, correction - I am deathly afraid of offending "Black People".
    For what reason?
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

  9. #59
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    I wish in class we read more novels in school by non-whites that are NOT about racism and race struggles.

    I think that would be a good start.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  10. #60
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post
    I'm from the same part of the world as you are. You think those people with the giant confederate flags on the backs of their trucks are afraid of offending someone?
    Millions more Southerners would put Confederate flags on theirs cars if they were not afraid of being stigmatized as racist, and harassed accordingly. Many Southerners do so anyway in order to express their identity in defiance of possible social ostracism (kind of like gay people displaying "gay pride" bumper-stickers in religiously conservative areas), or because they figure they have nothing to lose from social ostracism.

Similar Threads

  1. Are we all racist now?
    By DiscoBiscuit in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 83
    Last Post: 06-12-2014, 12:29 AM
  2. WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST BE FWIENDS?!?!
    By Costrin in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: 08-04-2009, 07:35 PM
  3. Are we all “dittoheads” to some ideology?
    By coberst in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-11-2009, 06:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO