User Tag List

View Poll Results: Aren't we all racists?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, in a way.

    19 26.39%
  • No way.

    16 22.22%
  • Prejudiced, but not racist.

    37 51.39%
First 3456715 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 210

  1. #41
    #005645 phthalocyanine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Sure, but they often go hand in hand. It's very rare that they aren't intertwined within a culture.
    i agree.

    though i see a lot of xenophobia in my part of the country that doesn't have racial components. perceived cultural and subcultural differences can make for a strange brand of prejudice within the same racial group.

    "We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.."
    -Oscar Wilde



  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INTj
    Posts
    1,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    The biggest problem with racism is how it influences the members of a society subconsciously. The dominant race establishes the point of reference and mistakes its subjective preferences for the "objective" way in which people should think and do. When people are ostracized in any way for not behaving within this norm because of racial/cultural differences, it is a form of racism even if it is not consciously perceived as such.
    This is so true. The opinions of overt racists barely matter to anyone these days. But subconscious ingrained biases will often inadvertently result in much more negative consequences.

  3. #43
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    3,187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    This is so true. The opinions of overt racists barely matter to anyone these days. But subconscious ingrained biases will often inadvertently result in much more negative consequences.
    Precisely. Today's racism is subtle and subconscious.

    BTW, I thought it was funny when I was looking at the thread from the main page where it shows who posted last, and it read "Aren't we all racists? Last post by: Not me" :P

  4. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INxJ
    Posts
    3,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phthalocyanine View Post
    i agree.

    though i see a lot of xenophobia in my part of the country that doesn't have racial components. perceived cultural and subcultural differences can make for a strange brand of prejudice within the same racial group.
    Ah, yes.

    This is kind of like a microcosm within a macrocosm. There will definitely be all types of cultural and class prejudices within every ethnic community. In fact, class more than race will often be the biggest prejudice.

  5. #45
    #005645 phthalocyanine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    In fact, class more than race will often be the biggest prejudice.
    definitely.

    "We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.."
    -Oscar Wilde



  6. #46
    Junior Member Butterfly_Effected's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    XXXX
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Everyone has biases, however, not all people are racist, or even prejudice.
    People have preferences, if they feel they even have a choice.
    It really is a shame, that some people think, that differences are bad. It is these differences that make us unique, special, and worthwhile. So we can tell "Bob" from "Tom"
    Shouldn't we all just be happy to live on this planet together, realizing we are all part of the "Human Race".
    Stupid people piss me off....
    no wonder I get angry with myself!!! lol

  7. #47
    THREADKILLER Prototype's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX
    Posts
    855

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly_Effected View Post
    Everyone has biases, however, not all people are racist, or even prejudice.
    People have preferences, if they feel they even have a choice.
    It really is a shame, that some people think, that differences are bad. It is these differences that make us unique, special, and worthwhile. So we can tell "Bob" from "Tom"
    Shouldn't we all just be happy to live on this planet together, realizing we are all part of the "Human Race".
    +1
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!

  8. #48
    #005645 phthalocyanine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    681

    Default

    is that a butterfly on a pot plant?

    "We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.."
    -Oscar Wilde



  9. #49
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    In American culture, many people keep the history of slavery in mind. Because of this, I think some of us are scared of offending African Americans. This produces a "reverse prejudice" affect in which some jerkish African Americans aren't held accountable for their behavior. White people are sometimes deathly afraid of someone pulling "the race card".

    On the other hand, there are Caucasian individuals who gratuitously make racist comments and exhibit truly racist behavior.

    Racism is the belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.

    Are we all racist? No, but we identify each others differences and act accordingly (whether it be good or bad).

  10. #50
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    (To Haphazard, I can't be bothered to actually find your quote):

    ^ You're only allowed to have racial pride if you're a racial minority anyway, so, good thing you don't.
    Well actually I've always been taught to suppress any racial pride I have out of fear.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Similar Threads

  1. Are we all racist now?
    By DiscoBiscuit in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 83
    Last Post: 06-12-2014, 12:29 AM
  2. WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST BE FWIENDS?!?!
    By Costrin in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: 08-04-2009, 07:35 PM
  3. Are we all “dittoheads” to some ideology?
    By coberst in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-11-2009, 06:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO