User Tag List

View Poll Results: Aren't we all racists?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, in a way.

19 26.39%
  • No way.

16 22.22%
  • Prejudiced, but not racist.

37 51.39%
First 2345614 Last

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Curzon View Post
    Rather that than 50 years of civil war.
    That's one way to look at it. Would it be worth losing their economic place in the world?

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Ashley View Post
    I don't know about all that. I come from a place where the Irish and Italian have plenty of pride that they openly display. And neither of them are minorities.
    Italians and the Irish weren't considered white when they first came to America. Sicilians in particular are considered no better than blacks by northern Italy, and that seems to be the main group that immigrated to America. Technically, they're minorities from way back but most blend into the current dominant white culture.

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    That's one way to look at it. Would it be worth losing their economic place in the world?
    I'll rather come from a country which is the 5the biggest economy or 10th or 15th than the 100th (fked up) country in the world which has a civil war going on.

Oh believe me when i say this.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Italians and the Irish weren't considered white when they first came to America. Sicilians in particular are considered no better than blacks by northern Italy, and that seems to be the main group that immigrated to America. Technically, they're minorities from way back but most blend into the current dominant white culture.
    I know all about this. But the point is that they are not racial minorities; no one would be able to tell an Irish person from another person of European descent unless they knew their last name. The Irish are in fact the second largest group in America. The days of discrimination are long gone since we have presidents dating back to the first official president, and countless other authorities, that were of Irish descent. So what simulatedworld wrote was completely off in my experience.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by paperoceans View Post
    Nope. Racism is taught. If you look at young children they do not discriminate against other. For the most part, they are not even aware of it. But as time goes on... You get the point.
    Or they notice it and it's just another quality. "She has brown skin, I have light skin." "She has blue eyes, I have brown eyes."

You get my kids a black barbie and they don't care at all. Whatever. Parents make a big deal about something, the kids think it's a big deal.

I'm entranced by people who are "different" from me. Skin tone is a very small part of being different.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx
    Socionics
    IEI

xenophobia ? racism

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.."
    -Oscar Wilde

MBTI
    INxJ

I know all about this. But the point is that they are not racial minorities; no one would be able to tell an Irish person from another person of European descent unless they knew their last name. The Irish are in fact the second largest group in America. The days of discrimination are long gone since we have presidents dating back to the first official president, and countless other authorities, that were of Irish descent. So what simulatedworld wrote was completely off in my experience.
    Not currently, but they were at one time not that long ago. America is a very young country. Therefore, it seems plausible that they would like to hold onto their ethnic heritage.

Quote Originally Posted by phthalocyanine View Post
    xenophobia ? racism
    Sure, but they often go hand in hand. It's very rare that they aren't intertwined within a culture.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Not currently, but they were at one time not that long ago. America is a very young country. Therefore, it seems plausible that they would like to hold onto their ethnic heritage.
    And that's fine. I'm just disagreeing with the notion that only racial minorities (and we all know which groups are included in that) are "allowed" to display pride in their heritage.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP

your genes are still over 99% the same. we're all brothers and sisters.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

And that's fine. I'm just disagreeing with the notion that only racial minorities (and we all know which groups are included in that) are "allowed" to display pride in their heritage.
    +1

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I'd say it breaks down something like this in America:

15% downright racist
    35% latent racism
    50% not racist or has no significant racial bias

In polls a good number of people will even admit to being racist. 12% of whites and 13% of blacks, in this one Poll: Most Americans see lingering racism -- in others - CNN.com