User Tag List

View Poll Results: Aren't we all racists?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, in a way.

19 26.39%
  • No way.

16 22.22%
  • Prejudiced, but not racist.

37 51.39%
First 1234513 Last

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by Prototype View Post
    Don't you mean prejudice?

The concept of racism is thrown around too much as a reaction to a natural opinion of what others have of people...

So, what you are saying is, unconsciously we are all equally bias, for self-preservation purposes?...
    ^ yep.
    pretty much this.

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Nope. Racism is taught. If you look at young children they do not discriminate against other. For the most part, they are not even aware of it. But as time goes on... You get the point.

Some people are racist and some are not. Was this thread created to somehow justify your racism against a group of people?

[edit] Anyway, I think the bigger part of the problem is people separating themselves based on ethnicity. I'll admit, I tend to do this myself. My family is from the Caribbean and most of my friends are from the Caribbean: Puerto Rico, Cuba, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Trinidad, etc. But I think most people stick around the familiar because it makes them feel comfortable. Of course we all have nationalistic pride, but our cultures are similar so we are drawn to each other... But when I lived in Europe, I would only talk to Americans and Canadians since I felt more comfortable around them. IDK. Definitely has nothing to do with racism.
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

Read my Blog.

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by paperoceans View Post
    Nope. Racism is taught. If you look at young children they do not discriminate against other. For the most part, they are not even aware of it. But as time goes on... You get the point.
    yeah makes sense. kids don't go around yelling hate slogans.

Some people are racist and some are not. Was this thread created to somehow justify your racism against a group of people?
    ok now you pissed me off.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

We all have prejudices and biases essentially ingrained into us unconsciously, and much of it is simply from the messages we pick up through the media and the rest of our environment. Often people don't consciously recognize it, but it does play out through their thoughts and actions. There are psychological studies/experiments that prove this. I see it everyday.

Riva

Peguy must have seen this thread cus there is one Yes, in a way vote.

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Well, if we look at it that way...

My neighborhood is mostly European, that's true. There are a few Asians, a few Blacks, but yes, mostly European descent. White.

I don't get why being 'white' should necessarily be a uniting factor. I mean, Europe has had lots of wars among itself. They don't seem to care whether you're white, they're still going to kill you anyway. They see lots of distinctions between different kinds of white -- western whites, southern whites, eastern whites, northern whites. And then they all tried to kill each other.

Even in the United States, there have been distinctions between whites. Irish, Eastern Europeans, etc -- it's unfair to classify all whites, or all blacks, or all Asians as together. Because historically they never have been. It's always easier to fight with your neighbor than with someone all the way across the ocean.

So no, I can't expand the concept of 'family' to all white people. It just doesn't make any sense.
    This all--QFT
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

(To Haphazard, I can't be bothered to actually find your quote):

^ You're only allowed to have racial pride if you're a racial minority anyway, so, good thing you don't.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Japan will have a serious population crisis in 10 years if they don't relax their xenophobic immigration and citizenship policies.
    Rather that than 50 years of civil war.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    (To Haphazard, I can't be bothered to actually find your quote):

^ You're only allowed to have racial pride if you're a racial minority anyway, so, good thing you don't.
    I don't know about all that. I come from a place where the Irish and Italian have plenty of pride that they openly display. And neither of them are minorities.

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Ashley View Post
    I don't know about all that. I come from a place where the Irish and Italian have plenty of pride that they openly display. And neither of them are minorities.
    I come from a place where many Southern whites display their racial pride all the time. They don't like to call it that though, presumably because then they could no longer claim that only racial minorities do it.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.