User Tag List

View Poll Results: Aren't we all racists?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, in a way.

19 26.39%
  • No way.

16 22.22%
  • Prejudiced, but not racist.

37 51.39%
First 61415161718 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Yes but that style of dress is indicative of a culture to which many people attach negative connotations.
    Which is why I say: if you wish to discuss culture, discuss culture. We were discussing class and that's what I'm saying can not be determined by factors such as clothing.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Sorry for taking the thread on a tangent.

MBTI
    crak
    Enneagram
    sax
    Socionics
    adhd

according to some 'other race' theory, naturally we all kind of are until we find someone of the other race with significant physical difference to ourselves that we can indenify as an individual/person/friend, then they stop "all looking alike" and we drop our "us" and "them" perspective. eh.

yes im aware there are more than two races.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Edge View Post
    according to some 'other race' theory, naturally we all kind of are until we find someone of the other race with significant physical difference to ourselves that we can indenify as an individual/person/friend, then they stop "all looking alike" and we drop our "us" and "them" perspective. eh.

yes im aware there are more than two races.
    So, "I'm not racist, I have (X race) friends" is actually... true?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yes, we're all naturally prejudiced about our primary in-group to which we have been socialized. However, that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with race.

MBTI
    INTP

Onto the topic under discussion:

The human mind is wired to look for and perceive patterns. Often, this results in people either perceiving patterns which don't really exist (but correspond to their imperfect memories of their own experience), or else perceiving patterns which do exist but their imperfect knowledge and understanding attribute erroneous cause and effect toward. In primitive times, this helped to maximize chances of survival through tribalism (among other things), but in modern times its something problematic which must be overcome through education and socialization. In other words, we're all (at a minimum) a little bit prejudiced, which often manifest as racism, but the two are not exactly the same.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Ashley View Post
    I know you were referring to the US; no I'm not referring to NY. "White people" consists of a wide variety of people, of multiple and diverse origins. My point was that I see certain groups, that are not racial minorities, openly display their pride and it's A-okay for them to do so. I imagine it would be different if they were to just display "white" pride.
    Except it's not A-OK. Show me a white power supporter that most people in this country would consider politically correct.

If they're showing something like Irish pride, then that's probably politically correct, but that's more a nationality than a race.

You can't have your cake and eat it too--are they racial minorities or aren't they? I am talking about pride in skin color here, not nationality. That's a totally different topic. No white person in the US is a racial minority!

There are official criteria by which the census takers and other people doing demographic studies divide race, and it typically goes black/white/hispanic/asian or pacific islander/native american and sometimes a couple other groupings.

My point, of course, is that while it may be acceptable for white Irish people to show "Irish pride", it's absolutely not acceptable for them to show "white pride."

For genuine racial minorities, though, it's acceptable to have both "black pride" and "Nigerian pride" (or whatever specific country you happen to be from.)

This is a matter of skin color and you're turning it into a question of national origin. Pick one.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Except it's not A-OK. Show me a white power supporter that most people in this country would consider politically correct.
    Follow, you're not actually disagreeing with what I said:

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Ashley View Post
    I imagine it would be different if they were to just display "white" pride.
    You can't have your cake and eat it too--are they racial minorities or aren't they?
    Again, follow. I never said they were minorities.

For genuine racial minorities, though, it's acceptable to have both "black pride" and "Nigerian pride" (or whatever specific country you happen to be from.)
    Aside from black, what other racial minorities are displaying this "color" pride? Are Asians saying "yellow" or "brown" pride?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    This is a matter of skin color and you're turning it into a question of national origin. Pick one.
    To be fair, black Americans (those descended from slaves, anyway) have legitimate reasons to consider race rather than national origin a defining characteristic of their identity. But yeah, "hispanic" or "asian" pride is generally just as stupid as "white" pride.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by lauren ashley
    ---
    I've seen occasional "aZn pryde" movements and so on, mostly just nerdy full time WoW players who don't have much else to base their self-esteem on.

There's also something of an Hispanic pride movement developing in the southern US, where a lot of Hispanics are currently migrating from Central America. I don't think they necessarily hate non-Hispanics, but it's just another way of pumping yourself up by adhering to some arbitrary "us vs. them" mentality.

I think you're right that it seems to come from blacks more often than anyone else. I'm all for racial equality and all, but "be proud of your race" is simply the wrong way to go about it--we need to teach children to ignore race entirely if we really want to see any progress. Drawing attention to such meaningless differences in the name of "celebrating diversity" only accomplishes just that--drawing unnecessary attention to meaningless demographic differences.

If we want future generations to stop thinking of race as a big deal, we need to stop teaching them that it is.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?