User Tag List

View Poll Results: Aren't we all racists?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, in a way.

19 26.39%
  • No way.

16 22.22%
  • Prejudiced, but not racist.

37 51.39%
First 51314151617 Last

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Ashley View Post
    I can read, thanks. And I still disagree.
    When you look at this man, what do you notice? What does it make you think of him?

Does his apparel and location indicate of his social status?

Surely, there are some individuals who accessorize above their paychecks. However, they may still live within a particular socioeconomic region in which a certain dialect is spoken. That dialect indicates a certain social status.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    When you look at this man, what do you notice? What does it make you think of him?

Does his apparel and location indicate of his social status?
    Irrelevant to my point.

Surely, there are some individuals who accessorize above their paychecks. However, they may still live within a particular socioeconomic region in which a certain dialect is spoken. That dialect indicates a certain social status.
    And if they speak perfect English? Then they are not of a lower class? One doesn't have to be from a certain socioeconomic background to know how to enunciate.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Wait, wait... I'm losing track. Is someone here denying that race, gender, ethnicity, religion, and class all influence each other? I never was.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

No matter what class one's appearance and possessions are indicative of, (regardless of the quality of the item) they still signify the culture one come's from.

Ginkgo

And if they speak perfect English? Then they are not from a lower class? One doesn't have to be from a certain socioeconomic background to know how to enunciate.
    No, they don't have to. But if this man came up to you and said "How do you do ma'am?", would his visage indicate a certain status?

If this man said "What up holmes?", would his appearance and attitude indicate a certain status?

The first man could, conceivably live in the ghetto, while the second man may very well live in a mansion. But their appearances indicate a first impression because of social stereotypes.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

No, they don't have to. But if this man came up to you and said "How do you do ma'am?", would his visage indicate a certain status?
    If this man said "What up holmes?", would his appearance and attitude indicate a certain status?

The first man could, conceivably live in the ghetto, while the second man may very well live in a mansion. But their appearances indicate a first impression because of social stereotypes.
    Those two could be of the same class (how inexpensive do you think those sneakers are?). If you want to discuss culture, discuss culture. If you want to discuss class, discuss class.

Ginkgo

Those two could be of the same class (how inexpensive do you think those sneakers are?). If you want to discuss culture, discuss culture. If you want to discuss class, discuss class.
    I know. They could be of any class. They could live in the same house for all I know. But their appearances are suggestive to a biased person.

Class and culture are relative.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Hmmm.. My sociology professor said that the wealthiest people in the country definitely have a different culture.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Hmmm.. My sociology professor said that the wealthiest people in the country definitely have a different culture.
    There is a relationship between culture and class, yes. But in Mystic Tater's example, the man in the second photo would be indicative of a lower class person. Many celebrities such as athletes and musicians dress that way, yet they are typically of the highest class.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Yes but that style of dress is indicative of a culture to which many people attach negative connotations.

Yes many athletes, celebrities, and musicians dress that way, but so do most street drug dealers, and gang members.