User Tag List

View Poll Results: Aren't we all racists?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, in a way.

19 26.39%
  • No way.

16 22.22%
  • Prejudiced, but not racist.

37 51.39%
First 31112131415 Last

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    The worst thing about disrimination, is the lower class status, the poverty. Therefore, the lower class is really the worst thing, is it not?
    Not necessarily, and not according to many who research the issue.

From Tim WiseUntitled
    Green Isn't the Only Color That Matters: Racism and the Black Middle & Upper Class

Yet, not only is racism a problem for those who haven't "made it," in the common parlance; indeed, it remains a problem, even for those who have: an important point to understand, given the tendency for even well-meaning people to insist that in the U.S., "the only color that matters is green." As it turns out, nothing could be further from the truth.

Though it may seem counterintuitive, racism might actually be more of a unique burden for the black middle class and affluent, than for the black poor.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post
    Not necessarily, and not according to many who research the issue.

From Tim WiseUntitled
    Where's the evidence?

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Where's the evidence?
    What are you looking for? I've got plenty. Not to mention, there's a lot in that one article alone.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Ahem... Do you have evidence that an affluent black person is worse off than a poor white person?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFJ

Ahem... Do you have evidence that an affluent black person is worse off than a poor white person?
    That's not a point that I'm arguing. You said the worst thing about discrimination is the lower class status that results. I was responding to that only.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Nope, except with vulcans
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Let me clarify, I'm looking for statistical evidence taken taken from a diverse class of participants that indicates that skin color alone is a greater source of prejudice than class.

Also, all of the people mentioned in that article came up when racism was a much bigger problem in the country.

I'm not saying that racism doesn't still affect the lives of people of color. All I'm saying is that all else being equal, class divides play a much greater part in the unconscious prejudices of America than race.

For someone growing up today, racism may still function as an obstacle to success, but this affect is nowhere near as large as it used to be.

Also, if racism is such an issue, why don't we hear those of oriental or hispanic decent harping about it more?

Maybe its that in oriental culture the importance of education is stressed within the family. Thus more people of asian decent rise to the upper levels of education and find success in proportion with this educational achievement.

I would say that what is perceived as racism is actually culturism and a reaction to the rise of thug culture.

If it was pure racism, wouldn't all races be affected equally?

Ginkgo

It's like when Socrates(really Plato) said that Democracy was the worst government because it always lead to Tyranny. This really confused me. Why not just say that Tyranny is the worst form of government then, if it is technically the negative outcome state that makes Democracy so bad?
    Because Democracy disguises itself as something much more appealing, thus stupefying those who are under it's rule?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post
    My point was simply that I don't think that there are millions of white people out there desperately digging for the courage to play Dixie on their truck horn, or to wear a Dixie Outfitters t-shirt, any more so than there are millions of whites who secretly harbor the desire to join the Klan. I've heard the "afraid" argument used by many organizations(the NAAWP, for example), which is why I made that extreme example. The argument is quite familiar.
    And once again, you're conflating the two...twice in one paragraph. Affinity for the Confederate flag and the desire to join the Klan or the NAAWP are as separate as belief in a graduated income tax or trade unions and sympathy for Marxist-Leninism.

Also, empathy is a two-way street; one cannot build understanding or unite the two dominate currents of Southern culture by denigrating one side or by either avoiding reference to the past, or emphasizing the negative aspects of the same. For instance, instead of boycotting South Carolina and calling them racist for flying the Confederate battle flag on top of a Confederate Soldier's memorial, how about instead advocate conciliation and reconciliation through the construction of a monument celebrating the preservarence and honoring the suffering of the black victims of slavery and segregation at the same location? And to encourage all citizens of the state to respect and honor the feelings surrounding both monuments, and perhaps even incorporate both perspectives into a common regional identity that is no longer divided along racial lines, but instead respects and identifies with the intersecting/inseparable heritage of both? To me, that's a lot more productive-and more empathetic-than attempting to pressure either stakeholder into metaphorically defecating on the graves of their ancestors in order to win acceptance from the other.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Class distinction is where the term "white trash" comes from.