User Tag List

View Poll Results: Aren't we all racists?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, in a way.

19 26.39%
  • No way.

16 22.22%
  • Prejudiced, but not racist.

37 51.39%
First 21011121314 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Exactly. I'd say America seems more racist than it actually is because of this.
    Agreed

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Exactly. I'd say America seems more racist than it actually is because of this.
    America's class system has historically been based on race. How do the two get separated?
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post
    America's class system has historically been based on race. How do the two get separated?
    When race stops being indicative of class.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Because of all the impoverished white people, would be my wild guess.

Yes, there is a significant correlation between race and lower cases. There are also other correlations become demagraphics and lower class (or income, as we have to account for females vs males). The clear pattern here is that class is something bigger. It is used as a tool of prejudice. Demographics that are disliked are shoved into or kept in poverty. But the fact that class seperation is the main way of screwing demographics just goes to show that class is the ultimate division.

EDIT: I'd like to add that class also takes priority over everything else. If you are a black woman, you have significantly lower odds of being rich, but if you do become rich, you have a better social position than a poor white man.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    More likely, the personal characteristics that attracted you to him, buttressed by his upbringing which in turn was nurtured and reinforced by his accumulated (generational as well as spacial) cultural environment, would be greatly diminished by a decision to throw away such an emotionally ingrained link to said culture and upbringing.
    He was no more Southern than anyone else I knew growing up, and I love Southerners in general. What attracted me to him was his laugh, the fact that he was silly, he reminded me of a giant teddy bear, he played music really well, we both loved Texas Roadhouse, and we had lots of mutual friends. We def weren't friends because he played Dixie on his horn, or sympathized with the Confederacy; we were friends in spite of that. And by the way, we're still friends 15 years later, and he doesn't play Dixie on his horn anymore. He's still the same guy.

Also, what's the Black Southern equivalent to the Confederate Flag? What are we missing out on? Let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    In any event, are you really comfortable stigmatizing him in the eyes of strangers as a bigot who probably belongs to the Klan? That's, uh, exactly what you did in your first response to my post....
    My point was simply that I don't think that there are millions of white people out there desperately digging for the courage to play Dixie on their truck horn, or to wear a Dixie Outfitters t-shirt, any more so than there are millions of whites who secretly harbor the desire to join the Klan. I've heard the "afraid" argument used by many organizations(the NAAWP, for example), which is why I made that extreme example. The argument is quite familiar.

It's my belief--and my experience--that enough white people have black friends and family members, or other people of color close enough to them, that they would be more sensitive about the issue. There are white people who don't have people of color close to them, but still understand just the same. It's not about guilt or pity(both totally unnecessary,pointless, and unproductive), it's about empathy. It's also about dredging up the past(or not), which so frequently blacks in the South get scapegoated for("Blacks should get over slavery. It was in the past"); and yet, all a black Southerner needs to do to be confronted with that very past is walk outside their homes and see whites proudly waving their own version of it in their faces. Something's amiss.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    EDIT: I'd like to add that class also takes priority over everything else. If you are a black woman, you have significantly lower odds of being rich, but if you do become rich, you have a better social position than a poor white man.
    That depends on what you're talking about really. You're comparing apples and oranges: a really rich black woman, to a really poor white man.

You would need to compare the social position of a really rich black woman to a really rich white woman, or a really rich white man to a really rich black man, in order to make an accurate comparison about how race effects class in our society, or determine which one takes precedence.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w4

Class, gender, and race will always be deeply embedded into our institutions due to a cultural heritage of discrimination on these variables. We seem to be continually improving as far as racist discrimination goes, but we still have a long way to go. Why is this? Wealth impoverishment of blacks dating back to slavery has prevented the black race as a whole from catching up to the white race on any scale of social opportunity. Whites ultimately dominate the upper classes and will not allow this historical trend to suffer.

edit: this was post 666 of mine
    "Stop it, you fuck. Give him some butter."
    Ti
    = Ne > Ni > Fi > Te > Se > Fe > Si INTP (I/PNT) 5w4

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

You would need to compare the social position of a really rich black woman to a really rich white woman, or a really rich white man to a really rich black man, in order to make an accurate comparison about how race effects class in our society, or determine which one takes precedent.
    That gives us no contrast between wealth. What good is that?

Okay, here. Of course a rich white person would be a little better off than an equally rich black person, because there are racial overtones in this country. A rich white person would have it better than a poor white person, of course. But a rich black person would have it better than a poor white person. This means, the advantage given by class is greater than the advantage given by race.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Okay, here. Of course a rich white person would be a little better off than an equally rich black person, because there are racial overtones in this country. A rich white person would have it better than a poor white person, of course. But a rich black person would have it better than a poor white person. This means, the advantage given by class is greater than the advantage given by race.
    The advantage given by race is far more reaching and more prevalent than the advantage given by socioeconomic class, so I'd still contend that it is in fact, greater. Rich blacks are a very small minority group.

I like Blalock's position that we have to consider the effects of race, class, and the interplays between the two when we discuss the potential for overall survival or success in Western society. Personally, I believe race to be the most important factor, but class combines with that and gender to create what amounts to a triple jeopardy for lower class women of color.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

The advantage given by race is far more reaching and more prevalent than the advantage given by socioeconomic class, so I'd still contend that it is in fact, greater. Rich blacks are a very small minority group.
    I know but, that's aside from the point. The point is that class iteslf is the punishment. How do you know blacks are discriminated against? The most prevalent way is their class disadvantage. If we stopped being prejudiced toward blacks, they would likely become less poor. In the mean time, being poor would still really suck for anyone that happens to be poor. You see what I'm getting at here?

Maybe another way to demonstrate this is that acceptence of racial, ethnic, and religious demographics change. Take the Irish Catholics. There was a time that they were so disliked in this country that establishments that hired blacks wouldn't hire the Irish. But they are not so bad off in America now. The change in their acceptence created a change in their class. Their class didn't get better while they stayed where they were.

It's like when Socrates(really Plato) said that Democracy was the worst government because it always lead to Tyranny. This really confused me. Why not just say that Tyranny is the worst form of government then, if it is technically the negative outcome state that makes Democracy so bad?
    I'm using the same reasoning here. The worst thing about disrimination, is the lower class status, the poverty. Therefore, the lower class is really the worst thing, is it not?
    Go to sleep, iguana.